Seasoning refers to addition of herbs and spices to the cuisines to give unique aroma and flavor. Seasoning have been used from the ancient times in the food. Traditionally it was widely used in the Asian countries and due to globalization it is also penetrating North America and European region. Herbs are generally dried or fresh leaves of the plants, which tend to grow in a particular climate and spices are usually made from roots, stem, bark, fruits, and seeds.
- Multiple benefits offered by seasoning is a key factor driving seasoning market growth. Seasoning helps to enhance the taste of food as well as has various health benefits. Extensive research studies in the field of medical sciences proved benefits of pepper, cinnamon, turmeric, basil, and ginger in curing diseases such as diabetes, brain function, infections, high blood pressure, and cancer. Owing to such benefits, seasoning are extensively adopted in food and diet. Homemade seasoning are also gaining significant traction due to their remedial nature. Therefore, increasing demand for such herbs and spices across the world is projected to boost demand for global seasoning market over the forecast period.
- Bulk availability of herbs and spices across the globe are creating immense opportunity for growth of seasoning market. As per Spices Board of India, total spices and spice product exported from India in 2017-18 was 1.03 million tones, which was valued at US$ 2.6 Billion.
- However, excessive intake of seasoning may lead to allergy, high blood pressure or unconsciousness, which is a major challenge and it can restrain the market growth. Since seasoning is an agricultural product, uncertain climatic conditions like low or high rainfall, thunderstorms and temperature can restrain the growth of the market. Moreover, Government policies on importing and exporting may restrict the trade of herbs and spices, in turn restraining market growth.
- Among product type, salt and salt substitutes segment accounted for the largest market share in 2017. Health benefits of salt and salt substitutes include prevention of iodine deficiency, improved cardiovascular health, cures cystic fibrosis, and prevents heat stroke.
- Among end-use industries, industrial segment dominated the market in 2017, owing to extensive applications of seasoning in the manufacturing of packaged food, the segment is projected to retain dominant position in the market over the forecast period. Factors such as change in lifestyle and rising number of working women may increase the consumption of packed food, which is expected to fuel growth of this segment over the forecast period.
- Asia Pacific witnessed highest market share globally in 2017. The region is projected to maintain its dominance over the forecast period, owing to increasing production of herbs and spices due to suitable climatic condition. Increasing disposable income and change in lifestyle of medium class population is fueling growth of the global seasoning market. Emerging economies such as India and China are the major producers of the herbs and spices. According to a data provided by Government of India, the production of spices in India was 8,413 thousand tones in 2017.
- Europe is projected to be the fast growing region in the market over the forecast period. Key factors such as changing dietary patterns, increasing population, and rapid penetration of spices and herbs in the European economies are creating immense opportunities for growth of the market.
Key players in Global Seasoning Market
- Key players operating in the global seasoning market include McCormick & Company, Nestle, Ajinomoto Co., MDH Spices, Everest Spices, DS Group, Unilever, Kraft Foods, Ariake Japan Company, Associated British Foods, Kerry Group Plc. and Olam International Limited.
- Key market players are launching new seasoning products, in order to meet the rising demand for seasoning from consumers. For instance, in January 2017, McCormick & Company launched six types of new seasoning to enhance flavor of the food. Such activities by key players are fueling growth of the market.
- In 2015, MTR foods launched new advertising campaign for Spices and Masalas in India. The new campaign demonstrates how authentic homemade dishes made with MTR’s masalas help a woman to bring the family together. The communication has been conceptualised by Ogilvy & Mather.
- In 2017, ITC launched its new specialty spices named as ‘Super Safe’ under MasterChef brands in the Indian Market. The new product would be available for the export and domestic market. With this new spice ITC company focusing on strengthening its position in spices market.
- In 2018, the Nestlé India launched a new campaign for the new MAGGI special masala noodles. This new variant by MAGGI offers the goodness of 20 finely ground and whole spices. The campaign showcases the journey to bring choicest spices and herbs from across the country.
- In February 2019, the McCormick company plans to launch a new product line of spices named as ‘ONE’,by end of the year. The new product of spices has features recipe mix flavors which is useful for the popular dishes such as new orleans sausage and tuscan chicken.
- In July 2019, the gallina blanca foods manufacturer of gino range of food products launched new seasoning product named as gino max in the Ghanaian market. The new seasoning product gino max comes in three flavors such as shrimps, shrimps plus spices and shrimp plus pepper. With this new product line gallina blanca foods wants to expand its product portfolio in the seasoning market.
Global Seasoning Market Taxonomy
On the basis of product type, the global seasoning market is segmented into:
- Salt and salt substitutes
On the basis of end-use industry, the global seasoning market is segmented into:
On the basis of packaging, the global seasoning market is segmented into:
On the basis of region, the global seasoning market is segmented into:
- North America
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa