The global pet milk replacement products market was valued at US$ 96.0 million in 2018, according to Global Pet Milk Replacement Products Market Report, by Pet Type (Puppies, and Kittens), by Form (Dry and Liquid), by Distribution Channel (Pet Retail, Mass, Farm, Online, Veterinary, and Pet Distribution), and by Region (North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and Middle East & Africa), published by Coherent Market Insights.
The global pet milk replacement products market is expected to reach US$ 156.4 million by 2027, exhibiting a CAGR of 5.7% during the forecast period. Milk of the mother dog or cat provides necessary nutrients such as proteins and vitamins for growth of their puppies and kittens. However, increasing incidence of disease in mother dogs or cats that leads to drying of milk glands during labor or during illness or death of mother dog or cat. This, in turn, prevents them from producing and delivering the required quantity of milk for their puppies or kittens. Moreover, if the mother dog or cat gives birth to a greater number of offspring at a time, the dog or cat cannot produce enough milk for its puppies and kittens. Puppies and kittens may develop certain deficiencies or might die due to unavailability of required quantity of milk. This factors are expected to increase demand for pet milk replacement products for orphaned, rejected or nursing puppies and kittens.
Milk replacement products are considered as a healthy feeding product for growth of puppies and kittens, however, these products are associated with certain issues such as milk replacement products do not completely fulfill nutritional requirements of puppies and kittens compared to original dog or cat milk. For instance, according to study titled ‘Comparison of the nutrient composition of commercial dog milk replacers with that of dog milk’, published by Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association in June 2014, milk replacement products have serious issues such as inadequate calcium, insufficient calcium-to-phosphorus ratio, low caloric density, inappropriate feeding directions, and excessive lactose concentrations. This can lead to poor growth of the puppy.
To know the latest trends and insights prevalent in this market, click the link below:
Browse 32 market data tables* and 21 figures* on "Pet Milk Replacement Products Market” - Global forecast to 2027.
Key Trends and Analysis of the Global Pet Milk Replacement Products Market:
- Numerous key players in the market are focused on offering milk replacers with addition of certain supplements such as prebiotics & probiotics for extra nourishment of puppies. Companies such as PetAg offer puppy milk replacer powders for orphaned or rejected puppies. The product contains prebiotic & probiotic nutritional supplements for proper development and growth of new born puppies. Moreover, Nature’s Farmacy, a U.S.-based pet health products company, offers Dogzymes Puppy-Bac milk replacer for puppies born through C-section and orphaned puppies. The product contains probiotics, vitamins, minerals, and added fat, which helps in digestion and proper nourishment of puppies.
- Pet milk replacers for puppies & kittens are usually made from skimmed milk powder that is rich in proteins. However, manufacturers adopt techniques such as drying the powder at high temperatures, which damage protein molecules. Therefore, Beaphar Group, a company engaged in pet healthcare products use low temperature drying process for their product, ‘Lactol Puppy Milk’ which retain protein structure. Moreover, in 2018, Beaphar included (Docosahexaenoic acid) DHA in its Lactol Puppy Milk product, which is an advancement in products for proper nourishment of puppies.
Key Takeaways of the Market:
- Asia Pacific is expected to be the fastest growing region in the global pet milk replacement products market over the forecast period. Rising adoption of cats and dogs in the region is expected to drive the market growth. For instance, according to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA Australia), dogs are the most common pets in Australia followed by cats, with 38% of households owing a dog. There were around 4.8 million pet dogs and 3.9 million pet cats in Australia in 2016.
- Key players operating in the global pet milk replacement products market are focused on mergers & acquisitions, in order to strengthen their position in the market. For instance, in May 2018, Manna Pro Products LLC acquired VetScience, LLC and its brand Fruitables, which is used in dog treats and food supplements. This acquisition helped Manna Pro Products LLC, to strengthen its position in the milk replacement products market.
- Major players operating in the global pet milk replacement products market include Pet-Ag, Inc., The Hartz Mountain Corporation, Beaphar B.V., Petlife International Ltd., Royal Canin, Toplife Formula, GNC Holdings Inc., Grober Nutrition Inc., Versele-laga, and Manna Pro Products LLC