The artificial discs market size is valued at US$ 740 million in 2023 and is projected to reach US$ 1,130 million by 2030, growing at a CAGR of 6.2% from 2023 to 2030. Artificial discs, also known as intervertebral disc prostheses, are implants used to replace degenerated intervertebral discs in the spine. Artificial discs provide an alternative to spinal fusion surgery for patients with chronic lower back pain caused due to degenerative disc disease. The key drivers of the artificial discs market include the rising prevalence of degenerative disc diseases, growing geriatric population, increasing number of spine surgeries, and technological advancements.
Artificial Discs Market Regional Insights:
- North America is expected to be the largest market for the artificial discs market during the forecast period, accounting for over 38.0% of the market share in 2023. The growth of the market in North America is attributed to the high prevalence of degenerative disc diseases, established healthcare infrastructure, presence of key players, and increasing spine surgeries.
- The artificial discs market in Europe is expected to be the second-largest market for artificial discs, accounting for over 28.0% of the market share in 2023. The growth of the market in Europe is attributed to the rising cases of back pain, presence of skilled healthcare professionals, and favorable reimbursement policies.
- The artificial discs market in Asia Pacific is expected to be the fastest-growing market for artificial discs, which is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 7.1% during the forecast period. The growth of the market in Asia Pacific is attributed to the expanding target patient population, improving healthcare expenditure, and growing medical tourism.
Figure 1. Global Artificial Discs Market Share (%), by Region, 2023
Artificial Discs Market – Analyst View:
The artificial discs market is expected to witness significant growth over the forecast period driven by the rising geriatric population and the increasing prevalence of spinal disorders. Artificial discs provide an alternative to spinal fusion for treating back pain and are less invasive with faster recovery times. However, limited long-term clinical evidence remains a restrain to wider adoption. North America currently dominates the artificial discs market owing to the high prevalence of spine conditions and rising rates of spine surgeries in the region.
However, Asia Pacific is expected to be the fastest growing market due to growing healthcare expenditures, development of advanced disc replacement devices and increasing medical tourism in countries like China, Japan and India.
Artificial Discs Market Drivers:
- Increasing prevalence of degenerative disc diseases: The rising prevalence of degenerative disc diseases, such as cervical and lumbar disc degeneration, is a major factor driving for the artificial discs market growth. Disc degeneration is associated with age and causes chronic back and neck pain. It affects mobility and the quality of life. The expanding aging population worldwide is contributing to the increasing incidence of disc diseases, which is creating a strong demand for effective surgical treatments like artificial disc replacement.
- Technological advancements in artificial disc designs: Continued advancements in artificial disc technologies and new product introductions are boosting the market growth. Companies are developing modern discs made of superior biomaterials and with improved designs to closely mimic the biomechanics of natural discs. Advancements, such as metal-on-metal and hybrid multi-core artificial discs, aim to enhance spine mobility and provide long-term fixation and stability. The introduction of innovative insertion instruments and techniques is also fueling the market growth.
- Minimally invasive spine surgery procedures: The increasing adoption of minimally invasive procedures like anterior cervical disc replacement utilizing smaller incisions is contributing to the growing adoption of artificial discs. These procedures involve less blood loss, shorter hospital stay, lower costs, and quicker patient recovery compared to open surgeries. This is encouraging many patients and surgeons to opt for minimally invasive artificial disc replacement surgeries, thereby propelling the market growth.
Artificial Discs Market Opportunities:
- Huge scope in emerging markets: Emerging regions present significant growth opportunities for artificial disc manufacturers owing to the large target patient population and improving healthcare access and expenditure. The rising cases of spinal disorders coupled with growing awareness regarding the benefits of motion preservation surgeries are expected to increase adoption in developing countries in regions such as Asia Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East & Africa.
- New product launches and approvals: The launch of new artificial disc designs and models provide considerable growth opportunities for manufacturers. Multiple product launches and approvals in recent years highlight the huge addressable market potential. Companies are investing heavily in R&D activities to develop modern artificial discs and achieve regulatory approvals, thereby gaining first-mover advantage and improving the market foothold.
- Increasing access to minimally invasive spinal procedures: The expansion of minimally invasive spine surgery infrastructure across hospitals and ambulatory surgery centers especially in emerging regions presents lucrative growth prospects. Minimally invasive techniques have various advantages over traditional open spine surgeries. The establishment of specialty disc replacement centers focusing on minimally invasive procedures will propel artificial discs adoption.
Artificial Discs Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2023:
||US$ 740.0 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2018 to 2022
||2023 - 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 1,130 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, and Rest of LATAM
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC, Israel, Rest of Middle East
- Africa: North Africa, Central Africa, and South Africa
- By Product Type: Cervical Artificial Discs, Lumbar Artificial Discs
- By Material: Metal-on-Metal, Metal-on-Biocompatible Plastic
- By End User: Hospitals, Specialty Clinics, Ambulatory Surgery Centers
Medtronic, DePuy Synthes (Johnson & Johnson), Stryker Corporation, NuVasive, Inc., Globus Medical Inc., Orthofix International N.V., Zimmer Biomet Holdings, Inc., Alphatec Holdings, Inc., B. Braun Melsungen AG, and Centinel Spine LLC
- Increasing prevalence of degenerative disc diseases
- Technological advancements in artificial disc designs
- Minimally invasive spine surgery procedures
|Restraints & Challenges:
- High cost of cervical and lumbar artificial discs
- Stringent regulatory guidelines
Artificial Discs Market Trends:
- Development of new biomaterials: Extensive research on spinal implant biomaterials has led to the emergence of innovative materials like polyether ether ketone (PEEK), porous metals, and advanced elastomeric compounds. These biomaterials offer biocompatibility, durability, bone-like elasticity, and longevity. Companies are increasingly using these new biomaterials to enhance artificial disc designs, safety, and efficiency. The launch of modern multi-core discs made of PEEK is an emerging trend.
- 3D-printed personalized discs: 3D-printing technology is being leveraged to create personalized prosthetic discs based on the patient’s spinal anatomy. Custom-fit discs help overcome issues with implant size and placement. Patient-specific 3D-printed discs have greater chances of implant integration and stability. Ongoing research focused on optimizing 3D-printing for artificial disc manufacturing signals future growth avenues.
Artificial Discs Market Restraints:
- High cost of cervical and lumbar artificial discs: The high cost of artificial intervertebral discs coupled with expensive surgical procedures is a major restraint affecting the market growth. On average, artificial disc surgery costs range between US$ 50,000 - US$ 70,000 depending on the disc type and region. The exorbitant costs limit the patient population eligible for procedures based solely on economic factors. Lack of favorable reimbursement in developing regions also hinders market prospects.
- Stringent regulatory guidelines: The stringent approval norms in developed countries like the U.S. delay market entry, increase R&D costs, and restrain growth for manufacturers. The uncertain regulatory pathway for artificial disc approval with stringent clinical data requirements poses challenges. Furthermore, regulatory discrepancies across different countries hinder product commercialization and cross-border trade. This impacts strategic expansion plans of players.
New product launches and approval:
- In October 2022, Centinel Spine, LLC, a U.S.-based medical device manufacturing company, announced that it has launched a new portfolio of prodisc cervical Total Disc Replacement (TDR) portfolio that allows the disc to be matched to the patient’s anatomy
- In April 2021, NuVasive, Inc., a medical devices company, announced that the NuVasive Simplify Cervical Artificial Disc (Simplify Disc) received approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for two-level cervical total disc replacement (cTDR)
Figure 2. Global Artificial Discs Market Share (%), by Product Type, 2023
Top Companies in the Artificial Discs Market:
- DePuy Synthes (Johnson & Johnson)
- Stryker Corporation
- NuVasive, Inc.
- Globus Medical Inc.
- Orthofix International N.V.
- Zimmer Biomet Holdings, Inc.
- Alphatec Holdings, Inc.
- Braun Melsungen AG
- Centinel Spine LLC
Few Other Promising Reports in Medical Devices Industry
Spine Surgery Devices Market
Lumbar Disc Replacement Device Market
PEEK Implants Market
3D Printed Medical Implants Market