The global cardiac arrhythmia monitoring devices market size is expected to reach US$ 13.80 Bn by 2030, from US$ 8.13 Bn in 2023, at a CAGR of 7.8% during the forecast period. Cardiac arrhythmia monitoring devices are used to detect irregular heart rhythms and monitor heart activity. These devices include resting ECG devices, ECG stress test devices, mobile cardiac telemetry monitors, implantable cardiac monitors, holter monitors, and event monitors among others. The rising prevalence of cardiac diseases and favorable reimbursement policies are the key drivers of market growth.
The cardiac arrhythmia monitoring devices market is segmented by product type, end user, application, and region. By product type, the resting ECG devices segment accounted for the largest share of the market in 2022. Resting ECG devices are portable and easy-to-use for diagnosis of heart conditions, making them a commonly adopted product.
Global Cardiac Arrhythmia Monitoring Devices Market Regional Insights:
- North America is expected to be the largest market for cardiac arrhythmia monitoring devices market during the forecast period, accounting for over 41.5% of the market share in 2022. The growth of the market in North America is attributed to the high incidence of cardiac diseases, established healthcare infrastructure, and presence of key players in the region.
- The Europe market is expected to be the second-largest market for cardiac arrhythmia monitoring devices market, accounting for over 29.7% of the market share in 2022. The growth of the market in Europe is attributed to the rising geriatric population, increasing adoption of advanced cardiac monitoring devices, and investments in Research and Development Activities (R&D) activities in the region.
- The Asia Pacific market is expected to be the fastest-growing market for cardiac arrhythmia monitoring devices market, with a CAGR of over 10.2% during the forecast period. The growth of the market in Asia Pacific is attributed to the large patient pool, improving healthcare infrastructure, high unmet needs, and growing awareness regarding advanced cardiac monitoring devices in the region.
Figure 1. Global Cardiac Arrhythmia Monitoring Devices Market Share (%), by Region, 2023
The cardiac arrhythmia monitoring devices market has strong growth potential over the next five years. Growing prevalence of cardiovascular diseases and increasing geriatric population are the primary drivers propelling the demand for arrhythmia monitoring devices globally. At the same time, high cost of complex cardiac arrhythmia monitoring procedures can restrain market growth to some extent.
North America, particularly the U.S., dominates the market currently due to heavy investments in innovation and presence of sizable patient population. However, Asia Pacific region is expected to show fastest growth during the forecast period. This can be attributed to rising healthcare spending, growing medical tourism industry and increasing focus of key players to tap opportunities in emerging economies of China and India. Wearable and remote monitoring technologies open new opportunities in cardiac arrhythmia care. The proliferation of smartphones and smart watches has enabled device manufacturers to develop innovative wireless monitoring systems. This has augmented convenience and made cardiac arrhythmia monitoring more accessible. Also, advancement in medical technologies is increasing efficiency and reducing costs of cardiac arrhythmia diagnosis and treatment over time.
In conclusion, the cardiac arrhythmia monitoring devices market has strong fundamentals and multiple tailwinds that will aid continuous growth globally in the long run. Ongoing technological evolution and market expansion efforts by industry players in developing regions will further stimulate demand.
Global Cardiac Arrhythmia Monitoring Devices Market Drivers:
- Growing prevalence of cardiovascular diseases: The rising prevalence of cardiovascular diseases such as arrhythmias, strokes, and heart failure is a major factor driving the growth of the cardiac arrhythmia monitoring devices market. The incidence of atrial fibrillation, a common cardiac arrhythmia, is increasing globally. According to estimates, the number of people with atrial fibrillation was around 37.5 million in 2020 globally. With the growing geriatric population and increasing risk factors like diabetes, hypertension, obesity, the burden of cardiac diseases is expected to increase in the coming years. This is creating significant demand for advanced cardiac monitoring devices for early diagnosis and management.
- Favorable reimbursement policies: Favorable reimbursement policies offered by private insurance companies as well as government health agencies are propelling the adoption of cardiac arrhythmia monitoring devices. For instance, in the U.S., Medicare provides coverage for Holter monitoring tests under Part B. Such reimbursement coverage lowers out-of-pocket costs for patients and makes cardiac rhythm testing more accessible. This promotes the use of arrhythmia monitoring devices in clinical settings.
- Technological advancements in cardiac monitoring: Advancements in wearable technology, remote monitoring, artificial intelligence (AI), and big data analytics are leading to the launch of innovative cardiac arrhythmia monitoring products. Key players are integrating advanced features like extended wearability, data connectivity, predictive algorithms, and EMR integration in their new product offerings. Such technologically advanced devices allow remote patient monitoring, improve diagnostic efficiency and enable better arrhythmia management. This is fueling the adoption of next-gen cardiac monitors.
- Growing focus on preventive care: The growing focus on preventive care and early diagnosis is boosting the use of cardiac monitors for proactive heart health management. Ambulatory cardiac telemetry devices are gaining popularity for long-term heart rhythm monitoring in high-risk patients, to detect asymptomatic arrhythmic events and prevent complications like stroke. The adoption of advanced implantable monitors is also rising for continuous heart monitoring after a cardiac ablation procedure or myocardial infarction. These factors are expected to propel market growth during the forecast period.
Cardiac Arrhythmia Monitoring Devices Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2023:
||US$ 8.13 Bn
|Historical Data for:
||2018 to 2022
||2023 - 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 13.80 Bn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC Countries, Israel and Rest of Middle East
- Africa: South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa
- By Product Type: Resting ECG Devices, ECG Stress Test Devices, Mobile Cardiac Telemetry Monitors, Implantable Cardiac Monitors, Holter Monitors, Event Monitors, Others (Wearable ECG Monitors, Smart ECG Monitors)
- By Application: Bradycardia, Tachycardia, Atrial Fibrillation, Premature Contraction, Conduction Disorders, Others (Ventricular Fibrillation, Pacing Monitoring)
- By End User: Hospitals, Diagnostic Centers, Ambulatory Surgical Centers, Homecare Settings, Others (Research Institutes, Specialty Clinics)
Medtronic, Abbott Laboratories, Boston Scientific, Biotronik, Koninklijke Philips, Nihon Kohden, Fukuda Denshi, Hill-Rom Holdings, Mindray Medical, Schiller AG, Spacelabs Healthcare, GE Healthcare, Cardiac Science Corporation, Lifewatch AG, Beijing Choice Electronic Tech Co, Vivaquant, Preventice Solutions, iRhythm Technologies, Applied Cardiac Systems and BioTelemetry
- Growing prevalence of cardiovascular diseases
- Favorable reimbursement policies
- Technological advancements in cardiac monitoring
- Growing focus on preventive care
|Restraints & Challenges:
- High costs of advanced monitors
- Limited reimbursements in developing countries
- Stringent regulatory requirements
Global Cardiac Arrhythmia Monitoring Devices Market Opportunities:
- Emerging markets: The emerging markets in Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East & Africa offer significant untapped opportunities for market players. These regions have a high unmet need for advanced cardiac monitoring devices owing to the rising incidence of arrhythmias, improving healthcare infrastructure, growing middle-class population, and increasing awareness. Key players can focus on expanding their footprint in emerging economies through partnerships, collaborations, and launches of cost-effective products to increase their customer base.
- Integration with remote patient monitoring: The integration of remote patient monitoring functionalities in cardiac arrhythmia devices provides new opportunities for growth. Key players are developing next-gen products with cellular or wireless connectivity and compatible mobile apps to enable seamless data transmission and continuous patient monitoring from home settings. This can help improve diagnosis and management for patients in remote locations.
- Big data analytics: The application of big data analytics and AI represents an opportunity for companies to develop smart cardiac monitors with predictive capabilities. By analyzing data from ECG recordings combined with patient health records, devices can be enabled to provide actionable insights, predict arrhythmia episodes using algorithms, and recommend interventions. This can aid in preventive care and personalized treatment.
- Growing use of wearables: With the rising adoption of smartwatches and fitness bands with heart rate monitoring features, there is an opportunity for companies to integrate medical-grade heart rhythm tracking into consumer wearables. They can partner with wearable firms to develop ECG-enabled smartwatches and bands to monitor arrhythmias in ambulatory settings for extended periods. This can help with mass screening and diagnosis.
Global Cardiac Arrhythmia Monitoring Devices Market Trends:
- Shift towards remote patient monitoring: A major trend in the market is the increasing utilization of remote cardiac monitoring services for better arrhythmia management and care coordination. Advanced devices integrated with wireless connectivity allow data transmission to mobile apps and online portals accessible to physicians. This enables timely interventions based on remote ECG analysis. Players are forming partnerships to offer comprehensive RPM services.
- Growing adoption of mobile cardiac telemetry: The adoption of mobile cardiac telemetry (MCT) monitors is rising owing to their ability to provide real-time monitoring for fast arrhythmia detection. MCT devices comprise a small sensor attached to electrodes that wirelessly transmits ECG data to a portable recorder. This enhances monitoring for temporarily high-risk ambulatory patients. The launch of new advanced MCT monitors is supporting this growing trend.
- Technological innovations in smart wearable: Key players are innovating smart wearable products such as ECG-enabled patches, shirts, watches that use advanced sensors and AI to continuously monitor heart activity. For instance, the new Carnation Ambulatory Monitor by Vivalnk, provider of remote patient monitoring services through innovative technology features a machine-learning algorithm to detect arrhythmias from ECG data. Such innovations are enabling long-term cardiac monitoring through consumer wearable.
- Shift towards preventive and personalized care: There is a rising trend of using cardiac arrhythmia monitoring devices, such as injectable cardiac monitors (ICMs) and ambulatory ECG, for preventive care in high-risk groups. The use of advanced ECG analytics and digital platforms is also rising to enable monitoring of asymptomatic events and provide individualized care based on patients’ specific needs. This shift towards preventive and personalized care models is shaping market trends.
Global Cardiac Arrhythmia Monitoring Devices Market Restraints:
- High costs of advanced monitors: The high costs of technologically advanced cardiac arrhythmia monitoring devices such as external loop recorders, mobile cardiac telemetry systems, and implantable monitors are a major restraint on market growth, especially in developing regions and rural areas. The adoption is limited due to high device and maintenance costs. Players need to introduce cost-efficient offerings to increase adoption.
- Limited reimbursements in developing countries: In developing countries, public or private reimbursement coverage for cardiac monitoring devices and related services is limited or absent entirely. Out-of-pocket payment requirements make advanced cardiac monitors unaffordable for many patients, thereby hindering market growth. Expanding reimbursement is critical for improving accessibility in these markets.
- Stringent regulatory requirements: Strict regulatory requirements for product approval and manufacturing delay product launches and availability for cardiac monitoring devices. For instance, new devices must demonstrate safety and efficacy through rigorous clinical studies to get approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (U.S. FDA), which acts as a hurdle for manufacturers. Streamlining regulatory guidelines can help accelerate new product introductions and boost growth.
Figure 2. Global Cardiac Arrhythmia Monitoring Devices Market Share (%), by Product Type, 2023
New product launches:
- In March 2020, BioTelemetry, a company that provides cardiac monitoring, cardiac monitoring device manufacturing, and centralized cardiac core laboratory services, launched its new Mobile Cardiac Outpatient Telemetry (MCOT) monitor under the Philips brand, targeted at increasing diagnosis efficiency in detecting cardiac arrhythmias. This launch strengthened the company’s cardiac monitoring portfolio.
- On September 2022, Medtronic, a global company in healthcare technology, announced that its product, the LINQ II Insertable Cardiac Monitor (ICM) system, is the first-and-only ICM to receive 510(k) clearance by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use in pediatric patients over the age of 2 who have heart rhythm abnormalities and require long-term, continuous monitoring.
- In May 2020, iRhythm, a digital health care company, announced the launch of its new Zio XT Wireless Patch, designed to improve diagnosis of cardiac arrhythmia. The device can continuously monitor heart activity for 14 days.
Acquisition and partnerships:
- In July 2020, Philips, a Dutch multinational conglomerate corporation, partnered with BioIntelliSense to integrate medical-grade wearable sensors into Philips’ cardiac diagnostics and monitoring solutions, enhancing its product portfolio.
- In September 2019, iRhythm acquired Verily health solutions, an Alphabet company, focused on the development of digital care delivery tools. This allowed iRhythm to enhance its AI, analytics and digital health capabilities.
- In June 2021, Boston Scientific, a provider of innovative medical device solutions, completed the acquisition of Farapulse, a producer of pulsed field ablation medical devices for the treatment of atrial fibrillation. This expanded Boston Scientific’s suite of electrophysiology products.
Top companies in Global Cardiac Arrhythmia Monitoring Devices Market:
- Abbott Laboratories
- Boston Scientific
- Koninklijke Philips
- Nihon Kohden
- Fukuda Denshi
- Hill-Rom Holdings
- Mindray Medical
- Schiller AG
- Spacelabs Healthcare
- GE Healthcare
- Cardiac Science Corporation
- Lifewatch AG
- Beijing Choice Electronic Tech Co
- Preventice Solutions
- iRhythm Technologies
- Applied Cardiac Systems
Definition: The global cardiac arrhythmia monitoring devices market refers to the industry and domain associated with medical devices used to detect abnormal heart rhythms and monitor cardiac activity. These devices play a vital role in the diagnosis and management of cardiac arrhythmias. They include electrocardiogram (ECG) devices, ambulatory cardiac monitoring devices, implantable loop recorders, and other advanced cardiac monitors.
Few Other Promising Reports in Medical Devices Industry:
ECG Management Systems Market
Cardiovascular Devices Market
Atrial Fibrillation Market
Implantable Cardiac Pacemaker Market