The global pyroxasulfone market size was estimated to be US$ 276.5 million in 2023 and is projected to reach US$ 559.7 million by 2030, at a CAGR of 10.6% during the forecast period.
The growth of the market is attributed to the increasing demand for pyroxasulfone from the agriculture sector, particularly for controlling weeds in wheat, corn, and soybean crops.
Pyroxasulfone is a novel pre-emergence herbicide that is effective against a wide range of broadleaf weeds, including Phalaris minor, a major weed pest in wheat crops. It is also effective against other weeds such as barnyardgrass, foxtail, and volunteer corn. Pyroxasulfone is relatively safe for crops and does not have any known negative effects on soil or water quality.
Pyroxasulfone Market Regional Insights
- North America: The pyroxasulfone market in North America is expected to account for the largest share of the global market in the coming years. This is attributed to the high demand for herbicides in the region, driven by the increasing adoption of precision agriculture practices and the growing use of genetically modified crops. It hold 35% market share
- Europe: The pyroxasulfone market in Europe is expected to witness moderate growth in the coming years. This is attributed to the stringent regulations on the use of herbicides in the region. However, the growing demand for organic produce is expected to drive the market for pyroxasulfone in the region. It hold 25% market share
- Asia Pacific: The pyroxasulfone market in Asia Pacific is expected to witness the fastest growth in the coming years. This is attributed to the increasing demand for herbicides in the region, driven by the expansion of agricultural land and the growing use of herbicides to control weeds in rice, wheat, and corn crops. It hold 20% market share
Figure 1. Global Pyroxasulfone Market Share (%), by Region, 2023
Pyroxasulfone Market Drivers
- Increase in Weed Resistance: The rise in resistance of weeds to other herbicides can drive the demand for alternative herbicides like pyroxasulfone. As more weeds become resistant to currently used herbicides, there's a need to rotate herbicides or find new formulations, and pyroxasulfone might be chosen for its efficacy against certain resistant weeds.
- High Efficacy: If pyroxasulfone is found to be more effective than other herbicides in controlling specific weeds, this can act as a significant driver for its demand.
- Crop Safety: If pyroxasulfone is proven to have minimal or no adverse effects on crops when applied at recommended rates, it can be more widely adopted.
- Regulatory Approvals: The approval of pyroxasulfone for use in additional crops or in new regions can open up larger market segments, thus acting as a driver for its demand.
Pyroxasulfone Market Opportunities
- Emerging Markets: Developing nations with increasing agricultural productivity might offer opportunities. As these nations modernize their agricultural practices, there's potential for increased adoption of herbicides like pyroxasulfone.
- Crop Expansion: If pyroxasulfone is found to be effective and safe for additional crops, there could be opportunities to expand its usage to those crops.
- Innovative Formulations: Developing new formulations or combination products (i.e., pyroxasulfone mixed with other herbicides) could lead to better weed control and, consequently, increased market demand.
- Sustainable Agriculture: If pyroxasulfone can be positioned as a more environmentally friendly or sustainable herbicide choice, it could appeal to farmers looking for sustainable weed control options.
Pyroxasulfone Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2023:
||US$ 276.5 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2018 to 2021
||2023 - 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 559.7 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa: GCC Countries, Israel, South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa and Rest of Middle East
- By Crop Type: Cereals & Grains, Oilseeds & Pulses, Fruits & Vegetables, Others
- By Formulation: Emulsifiable Concentrate (EC), Wettable Powder (WP), Liquid, Others
- By Application Method: Pre-emergence, Post-emergence, Others
- By End-Use: Large Scale Farming, Small Scale Farming, Gardening
- By Distribution Channel: Direct Sales, Distributors, Online Retailers, Others
BASF, Syngenta, Bayer CropScience (formerly Monsanto), DowDuPont (now Corteva), FMC Corporation, ADAMA, Agricultural Solutions
- Increase in Weed Resistance
- High Efficacy
- Crop Safety
- Regulatory Approvals
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Environmental Concerns
- Regulatory Restrictions
- Shift to Organic Farming
Pyroxasulfone Market Trends
- Shift towards Sustainable Farming: There's a global trend toward more sustainable farming practices. If pyroxasulfone is found to have a lower environmental footprint compared to other herbicides, it could gain traction.
- Precision Agriculture: With the advent of technology in farming, there is a move towards precision agriculture. This trend emphasizes the use of herbicides like pyroxasulfone in a more targeted manner, reducing wastage and environmental impact.
- Integrated Weed Management: More farmers and agronomists are advocating for integrated weed management (IWM), where multiple tools and practices are used to manage weeds. Pyroxasulfone, being a part of this strategy, might see increased demand.
- Regulatory Scrutiny: Herbicides and pesticides, in general, are under stringent regulatory scrutiny for potential environmental and health impacts. Products that can demonstrate safety and efficacy might be favored in this landscape.
Pyroxasulfone Market Restraints
- Environmental Concerns: Any evidence that suggests that pyroxasulfone could have a detrimental effect on the environment, such as impacting non-target species or contaminating water sources, would act as a restraint.
- Regulatory Restrictions: Tightening regulations around herbicide use or increased scrutiny of pyroxasulfone due to potential health or environmental risks can limit its market penetration.
- Shift to Organic Farming: The global trend towards organic farming, which shuns the use of synthetic herbicides, can act as a restraint on the market growth of pyroxasulfone.
New product launches
- Ihara Kyojin (Pyroxasulfone + Flumioxazin) is a pre-emergence herbicide that is designed to control resistant weeds in soybeans and corn. It is the first product to combine pyroxasulfone with flumioxazin, which is another effective herbicide for controlling resistant weeds.
- Best Agrolife Pyroxasulfone 85% WG is a pyroxasulfone technical product that is manufactured in India. It is the first pyroxasulfone technical product to be manufactured in India, and it is expected to be launched in the market in October 2023.
Acquisition and partnerships
- In 2021, BASF acquired the rights to pyroxasulfone from Bayer CropScience. This acquisition gave BASF a leading position in the pyroxasulfone market, and it also allowed the company to expand its portfolio of herbicides.
- In 2022, Syngenta and Sumitomo Chemical announced a partnership to develop and commercialize pyroxasulfone-based products. This partnership is expected to help both companies expand their reach in the pyroxasulfone market.
Figure 2. Global Pyroxasulfone Market Share (%), by Formulation, 2023
Top companies in Pyroxasulfone Market
- Bayer CropScience (formerly Monsanto)
- DowDuPont (now Corteva)
- FMC Corporation
- ADAMA Agricultural Solutions
Definition: Pyroxasulfone is a selective herbicide used for pre-emergent control of various weed species in certain crops. The "Pyroxasulfone market" refers to the industry or commerce related to the production, distribution, and sale of Pyroxasulfone as a product to various end-users, primarily agricultural sectors.
Few other promising reports in Bulk Chemical Industry
Monochloroacetic Acid Market
Asia Textile Chemicals Market
Sodium Percarbonate Market
Alumina Trihydrate Market