High-level disinfection traditionally is defined as complete elimination of all microorganisms in or on an instrument, except for small numbers of bacterial spores. In the past, high-level disinfection was recommended for mouthpieces and spirometry tubing (e.g., glutaraldehyde) but cleaning the interior surfaces of the spirometers was considered unnecessary. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration in September 2015, cleared sterilants and high level disinfectants with general claims for processing reusable medical and dental devices, peracetic acid for indication for device sterilization, glutaraldehyde and isopropanol for indication for device sterilization, hydrogen peroxide for no indication for device sterilization, ortho-phthaladehyde for no indication for device sterilization.
Global High Level Disinfection Services Market - Impact of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic
The COVID-19 pandemic and lockdown in various countries across the globe has impacted the financial status of businesses across all sectors. The private healthcare sector is one such sector, which has been majorly impacted by the pandemic. COVID-19 has also affected the economies in three main ways- by directly affecting the production and demand, by creating disruptions in distribution channels, and through its financial impact on companies and financial markets. To curb the spread of COVID-19, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), published guidelines for using disinfectants April 2021,
- Routine Cleaning- Consider the type of surface and how often the surface is touched. Generally, the more people who touch the surface, the higher the risk of getting infected. Prioritize cleaning high-touched surfaces at least once a day.
- Implement- Clean high-touched surfaces at least once a day or as often as determined is necessary. Examples of high-touched surfaces include: pens, counters, shopping carts, tables, doorknobs, light switches, handles, stair rails, elevator buttons, desks, keyboards, phones, toilets, faucets, and sinks.
- Ensure cleaning staff are trained on proper use of cleaning (and disinfecting, if applicable) products. Wash hands with soap and water for 20 seconds after cleaning. Be sure to wash your hands immediately after removing gloves. If hands are visibly dirty, always wash hands with soap and water. If soap and water are not available and hands are not visibly dirty, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol, and wash with soap and water as soon as you can.
The global high level disinfection services market is estimated to be valued at US$ 25,679.4 Mn in 2021 and is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 9.8% over the forecast period (2021-2028).
Figure 1: Global High Level Disinfection Services Market Share (%) Analysis, By Services, 2021
Increasing number of prevalence of hospital associated infection is a major factor driving the market growth over the forecast period.
Market players are focusing on launching advanced software to facilitate outpatient vigilance, which is expected to drive the growth of global high level disinfection services market during the forecast period. For instance, in January 2017, according to a report published in Indian Journal of Medical Research, prevalence of hospital acquired infections (HAI) in India was 3.76%. Surgical intensive care unit (ICU) (25%), medical ICU (20%), burns ward (20%), and paediatric ward (12.17%) were identified to have significant association with HAI. Prolonged hospital stay [odds ratio (OR=2.81), mechanical ventilation (OR=18.57), use of urinary catheter (OR=7.89), and exposure to central air-conditioning (OR=8.59) had higher odds of acquiring HAI (P<0.05).
High Level Disinfection Services Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2021:
||US$ 25,679.4 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2017 to 2020
||2021 to 2028
|Forecast Period 2021 to 2028 CAGR:
||2028 Value Projection:
||US$ 49,408.4 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC, Israel, and Rest of Middle East
- Africa: South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa
- By Services: In-house, Outsource
- By Compound: Formaldehyde, Glutaraldehyde, Ortho-pnthalaldehyde, Hydrogen Peroxide, Peracetic Acid, Others
- By End User: Hospitals and Clinics, Diagnostic Laboratories, Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Companies, Academic and Research Institutes, Others
STERIS, Microchem Laboratory, EcoFMR.Com, Altapure, Metrex Research, LLC, Rentokil Initial plc, and Advance Sterilization Products (ASP)
- Increasing product/ services launches by key market players
- Increasing inorganic growth strategies by key players
- Increasing prevalence of hospital acquired infections
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Availability of alternate disinfectants
Adoption of inorganic strategies by the market players is expected to drive the market growth during the forecast period.
Distribution agreements by key players are expected to boost the market growth during the forecast period. For instance, in June 2021, AREV Nanotech Brands, Inc., a publicly traded life science enterprise, and Germinator, leading sanitizing and disinfecting company, have entered into a definitive agreement to provide the Genesis hypochlorous acid (HOCl) platform of surface disinfection to global public health commodity procurement programs to aid refugees and Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) throughout Central and South America, Africa, Eastern Europe, and Asia.
Global High Level Disinfection Services Market – Restraints
Availability of alternate disinfectants is expected to hinder the growth of the global high level disinfection services market during the forecast period.
For instance, in July 2018, Nanosonics, a leader in infection prevention solutions, had announced the commercial availability of its trophon2 high level disinfection (HLD) system for ultrasound probe decontamination in the U.S. and Canada.
Figure 2: Global High Level Disinfection Services Market Value (US$ Mn), by Region, 2020
Global High Level Disinfection Services Market – Competitive Landscape
Major players operating in the global high level disinfection services market include STERIS, Microchem Laboratory, EcoFMR.Com, Altapure, Metrex Research, LLC, Rentokil Initial plc, and Advance Sterilization Products (ASP).