Moist snuff is a type of smokeless tobacco that can be consumed orally, offered in different forms such as portion snuff and loose snuff. Moist snuff contains carcinogenic substances and the addictive substance nicotine like other tobacco products. Moist snuff is a less harmful alternative of smoking, as consumption of snuff does not harm the lungs like conventional tobacco smoking.
- While the global cigarette consumption is declining, consumption of smokeless tobacco is rising across the globe. The rising consumption of moist snuff is expected to boost growth of the market during the forecast period. For instance, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, over 3.5% adults in the U.S. and around 4.8% of high school students consumed smokeless tobacco in 2019 in the U.S. Also, sales of moist snuff increased by 65.6% between 2005 and 2011 in the U.S. The above-mentioned factors are contributing to growth of the market.
- Rising number of cancer patients globally restricts growth of the moist snuff market, as it contains 24 polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) that causes oral and pancreatic cancers. The use of smokeless tobacco increases the risk of death after myocardial infarction. For instance, in September 2018, the World Health Organization suggested that cancer is among the top cause of death, globally. It is estimated that over 9.6 million patients died due to cancer in 2018. World Health Organization also suggested that tobacco use is the most important risk factor for cancer and is responsible for approximately 22% of cancer deaths across the globe. Moreover, higher risk of mounting diabetes associated with snuff consumption also hinders growth of the market.
- On the basis of product type, the market is segmented as mint flavor, fruit flavor and others. Moist snuff is expected to grow at a significant rate during the forecast period, owing to lower levels of free nicotine and pH. Moreover, flavored products increase demand for moist snuff among young and new tobacco users. The candy-like sweeter milder flavors i.e. fruit and mint could increase appeal to the consumers by offering mild flavor and eliminating nasty mouth feel.
- Major moist snuff manufacturers are focusing on strategies such as product launches, and mergers & acquisitions, along with partnerships to expand their product portfolio and consumer base in new geographies. For instance, in May 2019, The CTRP launched four new smokeless tobacco products in the market in the U.S. The new tobacco products are developed under a US$ 7.4 million, five-year cooperative agreement with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Moreover, in April 2016, Swedish match AB, that develops, manufactures, and sells tobacco products created new visual identity for one of its most recognizable brand, Longhorn Moist snuff. The new logo is designed to enhance shelf prominence, strengthen brand image, and enhance shelf performance.
Key players operating in the global moist snuff market include British American Tobacco PLC, Altria Group, Japan Tobacco, Inc., Imperial Brands PLC, Swisher International Group, Inc., MacBaren Tobacco Company A/S, Dharampal Satyapal, Skoal, Husky, Timberwolf, and Swedish Match AB among others.
On the basis of Product Type, the global moist snuff market is segmented into:
- Mint flavor
- Fruit flavor
- Others (Apple, Pine apple and Peach)
On the basis of distribution channel, the global moist snuff market is segmented into:
- Offline Channel
- Online Channel
On the basis of region, the global moist snuff market is segmented into:
- North America
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East
- Rest of Middle East
- Northern Africa
- Central Africa
- South Africa