A scalp care routine involves regular cleansing to remove bacteria, sweat, and excess oil from the skin. Depending on skin type and the environment in which people live, scalp care also be necessary to take steps to prevent excessive drying and promote the skin cell turnover process. Scalp care includes good cleansing, re-balancing and moisturising. People must keep the scalp clean by regular cleansing and hydrated by using a moisturising scalp-compatible mask. Scalp cleansing is the process of massaging the scalp and using a scrub or a brush to help unclog the pores, remove dead skin cells, and wash away product buildup from hair follicles. Treatments help fight off dandruff and thinning hair. Scalp care a regular part of the hair menu. It counts as skin and taking care of it is necessary for the overall scalp health.
The global scalp care market was valued at US$ 12,204.6 Mn in 2021 and is forecast to reach a value of US$ 16,083.8 Mn by 2028 at a CAGR of 4.02% between 2022 and 2028.
Rest of the world held dominant position in the global scalp care market in 2020, accounting for 27.7% share in terms of volume, followed by Brazil and India, respectively.
Figure 1. Global Scalp Care Market Share (%), by Country, 2021
In December 2020, Herbal Essence launched a new range of aloe vera hair care range globally and across the Arab region. The collection contains several wash-day products – ranging from leave-in hair oil mist, shampoos, and conditioners. The variants within the range prevent frizz, strengthen strands, protect hair color and provide soothing scalp balance.
In July 2020, Neutrogena, a Johnson & Johnson Brand, launched the Neutrogena Healthy Scalp collection, bringing the science of skincare to scalp and hair care. Neutrogena Healthy Scalp is clinically proven to cleanse and moisturize the scalp without stripping strands.
Scalp Care Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2022:
||US$ 12,694.8 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2017 to 2020
||2022 to 2028
|Forecast Period 2022 to 2028 CAGR:
||2028 Value Projection:
||US$ 16,083.8 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC Countries, Israel, and Rest of Middle East
- Africa: South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa
- By Product Type: Shampoo, Oil, Scalp Masks, Hair Styling Product, and Other Product Types
- By Distribution Channel: Hypermarkets/Supermarkets, Specialty Stores, Online Retail Stores, and Other Distribution Channels
- By Price: Mass and Premium
- By Demographics: Age and Gender
Bioderma Laboratories, Lotus Herbals Pvt. Ltd., Natura & Co., Kao Corporation, Johnson & Johnson Inc., Beiersdorf AG, Procter & Gamble Co., Unilever PLC, Moroccan Oil, L'Oreal SA, Himalaya Wellness Company, and The Estee Lauder Companies Inc., among others
- Increasing hair and scalp problems
- Increase in demand for scalp treatment products
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Increasing prevalence of counterfeit products
- Allergic reaction on sensitive skin (scalp)
- Increasing hair and scalp problems is expected to boost the growth of the global scalp care market over the forecast period. For instance, there are number of scalp diseases and conditions, which range from mild to extremely serious. Scalp psoriasis is common disorder and can cause flushed, flaky, and itchy patches of skin to appear. The skin can be dry and surface can crack and bleed. According to the World Psoriasis Day, Organized by the International Federation of Psoriatic Disease Associations (IFPA), around 125 million people worldwide (2 to 3 percent of the total population) have psoriasis.
- Increase in demand for scalp treatment products is expected to augment growth of the global scalp care market over the forecast period. For instance, in November 2021, Niche Beauty Lab launched a range of hair care products to treat hair follicle without any side effects. Epigenetic Scalp Reset improves general scalp and hair health, and helps rebalance scalp’s microbiome. This unique technology is capable of acting simultaneously on the three pillars of hair health: the hair, the follicle and the scalp.
Figure 2. Global Scalp Care Market Share (%), by Product Type, 2021
- Increasing prevalence of counterfeit products is expected to hinder growth of the global scalp care market over the forecast period. For instance, the entry of counterfeit goods into the market poses a significant threat to overall scalp health, as people cannot differentiate such products. Moreover, fake and replicated scalp care products (counterfeit goods) are available at very low prices as compared to original or branded products. Counterfeit products contain lower quality, harmful, and cheap ingredients.
- Allergic reaction on sensitive skin (scalp) is expected to hamper growth of the global scalp care market over the forecast period. For instance, an allergic reaction to a scalp care product can cause bumps (hives) on the scalp. This condition is called allergic contact dermatitis. Hives may itch, peel, or feel dry and scaly. Scalp tenderness can accompany common conditions such as headaches, psoriasis, allergies, eczema, and hair loss.
- Increase in demand for natural and organic scalp care products is expected to offer significant growth opportunities for players in the global scalp care market. For instance, in January 2022, Dot & Key announced the launch of a range of hair care products, bringing its high-performing clean beauty solutions to a whole new category. Dot & Key's nature-forward formulations will be available in shampoos, hair masks, serums, and scalp scrubs, offering consumers a full range of hair solutions to address specific concerns and build healthy hair care regime.
- Skinification of hair care is expected to provide lucrative growth opportunities for players in the global scalp care market. For instance, skinification of hair means using sophisticated and high-quality ingredients used in hair care products that were traditionally used in skincare. In July 2020, Neutrogena announced the launch of Neutrogena Healthy Scalp collection, bringing the science of skincare to scalp and haircare. The new collection is clinically proven to cleanse and moisturize scalp without stripping strands. The idea behind the new collection was driven by the growing skinification of hair care.
Market Trends/Key Takeaways:
- Increasing demand for scalp care products is expected to fuel growth of the global scalp care market. For instance, in March 2022, Unilever and Walmart announced the launch of the new scalp-focused hair-care brand, named BHS (Beautiful Hair and Scalp). The line uses a formula with 3% salicylic acid to nourish and fortify hair to prevent dandruff and relieve dryness. These products are designed for different hair needs, including vibrant hair color, frizz, damaged and weak hair, curls and detox.
- Availability of new, more effective, and safer hair care products is expected to propel growth of the global scalp care market. For instance, L’Oreal is offering its BIOLAGE R.A.W. anti-dandruff shampoo free of tars, sulfates, silicones, parabens, and artificial colorants. This helps to stop the recurrence of scalp itching, irritation, flaking, redness, and scaling associated with dandruff. It also provides a feeling of scalp moisture balance and leaves hair and scalp looking and feeling healthy and clean.
- L'Oreal SA
- Moroccan Oil
- Unilever PLC
- Procter & Gamble Co.
- Beiersdorf AG
- Johnson & Johnson Inc.
- The Estee Lauder Companies Inc.
- Himalaya Wellness Company
- Kao Corporation
- Natura & Co.
- Lotus Herbals Pvt. Ltd.
- Bioderma Laboratories
A scalp care routine involves regular cleansing to remove bacteria, sweat, and excess oil from the skin. 'Scalp health' is the beauty buzzword du jour for good reason; the length, lustre, and health of the hair depends on the scalp health. Scalp care includes good cleansing, re-balancing and moisturising. Scalp care is the process of cleansing/massaging the scalp and using a scrub or brush to help unclog the pores, remove dead skin cells, and wash away product buildup from hair follicles. Scalp care a regular part of the hair menu, and is necessary for the overall scalp health. The massage helps promote and maintain healthy hair follicles and scalp. In short, scalp care products are necessary for the overall scalp health.
Increasing demand for scalp care products across the globe due to increasing awareness among people about scalp health is a major factor expected to augment the growth of the global scalp care market over the forecast period. For instance, the scalp skin is more delicate, and it has a higher number of sebaceous glands, sweat glands, and hair follicles and a lower barrier function as compared to the skin on rest of the body. Thus, it is imperative to have a scalp care regime, as having a scalp care routine will influence better hair growth from its foundation.
In July 2020, Neutrogena launched Neutrogena Healthy Scalp collection, bringing the science of skincare to scalp and haircare. The collection is clinically proven to cleanse and moisturize scalp without stripping strands. The idea behind the new collection was driven by the growing skinification of hair care and a shifting consumer desire.
Key features of the study:
- The report provides in-depth analysis of the global scalp care market, and market size (US$ Million) and compound annual growth rate (CAGR %) for the forecast period (2022–2028), considering 2021 as the base year.
- It elucidates potential revenue opportunities across different segments and explains attractive investment proposition matrices for this market.
- This study also provides key insights about market drivers, restraints, opportunities, new product launches or approval, market trends, regional outlook, and competitive strategies adopted by key players.
- It profiles key players in the global scalp care market based on the following parameters such as company highlights, products portfolio, key highlights, financial performance, and strategies.
- Key companies covered as a part of this study include Bioderma Laboratories, Lotus Herbals Pvt. Ltd., Natura & Co., Kao Corporation, Beiersdorf AG, Procter & Gamble Co., Unilever PLC, Moroccan Oil, L'Oreal SA, Himalaya Wellness Company, Johnson & Johnson Inc., and The Estee Lauder Companies Inc., among others.
- Insights from this report would allow marketers and the management authorities of the companies to make informed decisions regarding their future product launches, type up-gradation, market expansion, and marketing tactics.
- The global scalp care market report caters to various stakeholders in this industry including investors, suppliers, product manufacturers, distributors, new entrants, and financial analysts.
- Stakeholders would have ease in decision-making through various strategy matrices used in analyzing the global scalp care market.
- Global Scalp Care Market, By Product Type:
- Scalp Masks
- Hair Styling Product
- Other Product Types
- Global Scalp Care Market, By Distribution Channel:
- Specialty Stores
- Online Retail Stores
- Other Distribution Channels
- Global Scalp Care Market, By Price:
- Global Scalp Care Market, By Demographics:
- Global Scalp Care Market, By Geography:
- United States
- United Kingdom
- Germany, France
- Rest of the World