Impact Analysis of Covid-19
The complete version of the Report will include the impact of the COVID-19, and anticipated change on the future outlook of the industry, by taking into the account the political, economic, social, and technological parameters.
Public safety network is a wireless communications network that is used by emergency service organizations namely police or fire department or medical emergency service to prevent and respond to incidents that could pose harm or endanger persons or property. The speed of transmission of data over the wireless communication network is increasing with an overall impact on network communication for public safety and municipal wireless communication. The network technologies needed for the future growth need to be mapped up with the rising speed causing the government to search for high-speed technologies in public safety.
The North America public safety wireless communication market is estimated to be valued at US$ 13,597.7 million in 2021 and is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 7.8% over the forecast period (2021-2028).
- In October 2021, Motorola Solutions announced that the company will modernize and expand the coverage of the existing nationwide TETRA network to provide the public safety with highly resilient and secure mission-critical communications.
- In June 2020, ARTES Core Competitiveness have recently co-founded the project ‘Mobile Ad hoc NETworks (MANETs) with satellite access for public safety operations’ with German safety and security specialist IABG, to enhance MANET services using satellite access. At the remote operational location, MANETs will create an autonomous broadband network utilizing satellite links that attach the location to every 'command and control' center worldwide.
U.S. held dominant position in the North America public safety wireless communication market in 2020, accounting for 77.4% share in terms of value.
Figure 1. North America Public Safety Wireless Communication Market Value (US$ Mn), by Country, 2020
Market Dynamics- Drivers
Proactive initiatives for public safety application is expected to drive growth of the North America public safety wireless communication market during the forecast period. Governments in North America have started taking proactive initiatives to protect the city and improve the public safety application. Such government initiatives are encouraging a large sum of money from the government grants to promote public safety, in order to avail real-time transfer of both voice and data. For instance, in 2012, the U.S. Government allocated a US$ 10 billion budget for the reduction of the deficit. This growth is owing to better efficiency wireless technology that is used in public safety and thus more spectrum is allocated in public safety.
Improved coordination among emergency organizations is expected to propel the North America public safety wireless communication market growth over the forecast period. As public safety organizations are increasing, different organizations need different types of devices. This is required to communicate among themselves during emergencies. The interoperability of devices to communicate among different organizations in public safety helps in the improvement of coordination among the various departments and also in long term growth of the public safety organization. The fire department these days need to communicate with the police department for sightseeing and ambulance at the sight of taking the injured people to the hospital.
Growth of modern cellular industry with a legacy of LMR devices can present lucrative growth opportunities in the North America public safety wireless communication market. State and local revenue support the first responders to buy their equipment with their own local budgets. This is to improve the interoperability with one another and to provide services among themselves. However, in a modern broadband generation, public safety agencies have to procure the services from commercial service providers or they have to make contact with the vendors to operate the network on their behalf.
Advent of next-generation public safety communications systems can provide major business opportunities in the North America public safety wireless communication market. The unique requirements of public safety devices and systems that are needed to serve the public safety agencies to communicate with one another through Land Mobile Radio (LMR). The above-mentioned services are being delivered by the conventional LMR to communicate quickly and effectively at the time of emergencies. Voice call setup time and group calling system are necessary to be as quickly as possible. The ordinary cellular system takes a few seconds to forward and answer the call that might create latency for the emergency responders. The talk around feature is needed to make the communication among two devices without the help of network infrastructure and peer to peer communication too.
North America Public Safety Wireless Communication Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2021:
||US$ 13,597.7 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2017 to 2020
||2021 to 2028
|Forecast Period 2021 to 2028 CAGR:
||2028 Value Projection:
||US$ 23,023.4 Mn
- Region: North America (U.S. and Canada)
- By Governance Level: Federal, State, Local
- By Department: Police, Fire, Emergency Response
- By Technology: Network Infrastructure (Communication Networks Technology (TETRA/TEDS, APCO25 (P25), Others), Data Networks Technology (Satellite, Terrestrial), Wireless Equipment, Communication Devices, Services
Holding AG, Hytera Communication Corporation Ltd., Motorola Solutions, Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson, Nokia Corporation, ZTE Corporation, Huawei Technologies Co., Mentura Group, Hariss Corporation, AT&T, Inmarsat plc, and Telestra Corporation Ltd.
- Proactive initiatives for public safety application
- Improved coordination among emergency organizations
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Lack of interoperable devices
- Deterioration of existing public safety system
The first responders will have the access to the municipal wireless in case of a critical situation or when there are more loads on the public safety spectrum, so public safety personnel will have an extra advantage in using municipal wireless for their communication as well as they will have interoperability devices which will support both the public safety spectrum as well as municipal wide wireless spectrum for voice and data transfer over the network.
The municipal wireless network will have wireless devices that will support real time data transfer. This will help in increasing the efficiency of public safety personnel. The real time data transfer with the help of video surveillance devices will help in lowering the crime rate. At the crime scene, the video surveillance devices will transfer the real time data that will help in predicting the image of the thief or terrorist in that city.
Figure 2. North America Public Safety Wireless Communication Market Share, By Governance Level, 2020
Key Takeaways of the Graph:
- The Local segment under Governance Level held dominant position in the market and accounted for 41.8% share in the North America public safety wireless communication market in 2020. The segment is expected to reach US$ 9,623.9 million in 2028.
- In 2020, the State Segment under Governance Level accounted for the second largest share of 9% in the North America public safety wireless communication market and is expected to be valued at US$ 6,884.0 million by 2028. This is owing to upsurge in use of smart devices including smartphones, tablets, wireless modems, and others among public safety agencies for information gathering and data management applications.
Market Dynamics- Restraints
Lack of interoperable devices are expected to restrain growth of the North America public safety wireless communication market during the forecast period. Interoperability refers to the exchange of information between two or more public agencies to interact with one another through a prescribed manner to achieve prescribed results. Currently, there is a lack of interoperability that poses limitations on communicating with each other. This is due to the fact that public safety devices have disparate frequency bands and radios.
Deterioration of existing public safety system is expected to hamper the North America public safety wireless communication market growth over the forecast period. The current public safety wireless communication system is using radio and microwave systems, which is becoming obsolete with the advancement in technology. Since there is emerging new competition in the market, it makes it challenging to sustain in the wireless market and maintain high-cost devices in public safety. These new devices are compatible and efficient in performance as compared to the existing system in public safety.
Key players operating in the North America public safety wireless communication market are Holding AG, Hytera Communication Corporation Ltd., Motorola Solutions, Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson, Nokia Corporation, ZTE Corporation, Huawei Technologies Co., Mentura Group, Hariss Corporation, AT&T, Inmarsat plc, and Telestra Corporation Ltd.
- Major companies are focused on partnerships and collaboration, in order to expand the market presence. For instance, in January 2020, Motorola Solutions partnered with SFR, a French mobile communications company to provide broadband push-to-talk service.
- Key market players are involved in mergers and acquisitions, in order to gain a competitive edge in the market. For instance, in March 2020, Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson acquired Genaker, a provider of Mission Critical push-to-talk solutions.