Market Insight- Global Refrigerated Trailer Market
A refrigerated truck or refrigerated trailer or also referred to as chiller lorry is a truck designed to transport perishable goods at specific temperatures. Generally, food-grade freight is transported through these trailers. Refrigerated trailers are available in two different ranges namely negative temperature range for carrying frozen food products and positive temperature range for chilled ones. Moreover, a variety of refrigerated trailers are available that are based on parameters such as load capacity, pallet capacity, length, and a number of deck. Refrigerated trailers in used transportation of perishable products such as fish, meat, vegetables, fruits, flowers, dairy products, and poultry products. Moreover, they are used to transport specialized medications that require specific temperature ranges.
The global refrigerated trailer market is estimated to account for US$ 1,801.00Mn in 2019 is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 5.4% during the forecast period.
Market Dynamics- Drivers
- Expansion of cold chain capacity is expected to drive growth of the global refrigerated trailer market during the forecast period
Increasing demand for perishable food across the globe is expected to boost the demand for cold chain in the near future. This expansion is expected to boost the demand for efficient refrigerated food transportation and cold storage infrastructure. Furthermore, growing demand for dairy products is expected to boost growth of the global refrigerated trailer market during the forecast period. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, in 2019, annual milk production in the U.S. reached 218,322 mil lb., increased from 215,527 mil lb. in 2017. Moreover, according to Our World in Data, an online publication journal, global milk production reached 800 million ton in 2018.
- Implementation of strict government laws is expected to propel the global refrigerated trailer market during growth over the forecast period
Government of various countries in Asia Pacific such as China and India are focused on improving food preservation and transportation, lower food wastage, and increase food safety. Thus, they have started to implement strict regulatory policies and norms in food and beverage sector. This, in turn, is expected to boost the demand for efficient refrigerated trailers in these countries, as there is high demand for perishable food and dairy products in this region. Hence, these factors are expected to support the global refrigerated trailer market in the near future.
Europe region dominated the global refrigerated trailer market in 2019, accounting for 40.1% share in terms of value, followed by North America and Asia-Pacific, respectively.
Source: Coherent Market Insights
Market Dynamics- Restraints
- Increasing trucking operational costs combined with the proximity of transportation destination are expected to hamper the global refrigerated trailer market during the forecast period
Rising costs related to hiring truck drivers combined with increasing fuel costs and the high prices of trucks are major factors surging the operational costs for logistics companies. This, in turn, reduces the profits and their inclination towards buying new refrigerated trailers. Furthermore, refrigerated trailers are witnessing high level of competition from refrigerated vans and small trucks due to reducing truckloads and smaller traveling distances. Thus, these factors are expected to hamper the market growth in the near future.
- Growing concerns regarding environment are expected to restrain growth of the global refrigerated trailer market during the forecast period
Refrigerated units are known to release toxic substances into the atmosphere during the operation. Such harmful fumes pose major threat to environmental sustainability. Various governments across the world have imposed environmental regulations and set up stringent standards for refrigerated transportation. Therefore, these factors are expected to restrict the market growth up to certain extents.
- Increasing investments in research and development activities can provide major growth opportunities for market players
Hike in fuel prices, increasing truck prices, and high cost associated with truck drivers hiring has increased the operational costs. Thus, various refrigerated truck manufacturers are focused on research and development activities, in order to manufacture reduced weight vehicles. Providing novel refrigerated trucks with moderate prices can aid OEMs to expand their consumer base and gain a competitive edge in the market. The newer vehicles will help in reducing carbon emission and enhance fuel efficiency, which are major drawbacks of previous vehicles.
- Favorable macro-economic factors and changing demographics
Rampant urbanization, especially in emerging economies, coupled with growing middle-class population density is transforming economies across the globe. This, in turn, has increased the tendency of populace to consumers more perishable products such as fruits, vegetables, meat, and seafood. Furthermore, increasing demand for perishable food is expected to provide major growth opportunities during the forecast period.
Source: Coherent Market Insights
- Key players in the market are focused on product innovation and development
Key players in the global refrigerated trailer market are focused on investing in R&D activities in order to introduce innovative products and integrate advanced technologies to increase efficiency of refrigerated trailers. For instance, in May 2015, Schmitz Cargobull, a trailer manufacturer based in Europe, introduced a new fuel level sensor with LED level display mounted on the semi-trailer's bulkhead that provides an accurate indication about the fuel level of the trailer.
- Growing focus of manufacturers on reduced carbon emissions
Major manufacturers are laying emphasis on reducing the weight of trailers by investing research and development activities. By reducing the overall weight of the trailer, manufacturers are attempting to reduce carbon emission. Moreover, trailer manufacturers are adopting lightweight materials steel, aluminum and carbon fiber for manufacturing trailer bodies. They are also focused on improving the aerodynamic design of trailers to reduce drag and increase stability.
In global refrigerated trailer market, by type segment, Chilled sub-segment dominated the global market in 2019, accounting for 60.3% share in terms of value.
Source: Coherent Market Insights
- Latin America - In October 2014, the Brazilian government published dietary guidelines for use of fresh foods over processed food recommending improved cold chain development to meet the demand for fresh food
- North America – The U.S.-Mexico trade relationship offers high agricultural trade between the two regions. Most of the agricultural harvest from Mexico is transported via trucks to the U.S.
Value Chain Analysis
Key players operating in the global refrigerated trailer market are Kögel Trailer GmbH & Co. KG, Wabash National Commercial Trailer Products, Randon Implementos, Great Dane Trailers, Inc., Gray & Adams Ltd., Utility Trailer Manufacturing Company, Hyundai Translead, Montracon Ltd., Schmitz Cargobull AG, Lamberet Refrigerated SAAS, and Fahrzeugwerk Bernard KRONE GmbH.
- Key players in the market are involved in product development, in order to enhance their product portfolio. For instance, in October 2019, Gray & Adams Ltd., a U.K.-based supplier of temperature-controlled trailers, introduced an automated loading pod that holds 60 pallets at -220C.
- Key companies in the market are focused on product launching, in order to gain competitive edge in the market. For instance, in March 2019, Montracon Ltd. showcased a range of latest trailers with novel features.