Respiratory disposables are consumables that are used to interface respiratory devices, such as ventilators, nebulizers, and oxygen therapy devices. Respiratory disposables include disposable tubes, disposable oxygen masks, disposable resuscitators, and other or accessories. Single-use, disposable respiratory protective devices used by healthcare professionals during procedures to protect both the patient and healthcare personnel from the transfer of microorganisms, body fluids, and particulate material. Respiratory disposables are used to treat respiratory disorders, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), asthma, and sleep apnea. Moreover, they save time and reduce economic burden on hospitals along with prevention of infection. Thus, there is an increasing demand worldwide.
The global respiratory disposables market was valued at US$ 1,471.80 Mn in 2021 and is forecast to reach a value of US$ 2,910.10 Mn by 2028 at a CAGR of 9.2% between 2022 and 2028.
North America held dominant position in the global respiratory disposables market in 2020, accounting for 38.5% share in terms of volume, followed by Europe and Asia Pacific, respectively.
Figure 1. Global Respiratory Disposables Market Share (%), by Region, 2022
In April 2020, Philips announced the launch of the Philips Respironics E30 Ventilator to help healthcare professionals by providing superior quality ventilators.
In May 2020, Royal Philips announced it has received 510(k) clearance from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for its wearable biosensor (Philips Biosensor BX100) to help manage confirmed and suspected COVID-19 patients in the hospital.
In March 2019, ResMed acquired HB Healthcare Safety, a provider of home-based medical equipment for sleep and respiratory care devices.
Respiratory Disposables Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2022:
||US$ 1,652.80 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2017 to 2020
||2022 to 2028
|Forecast Period 2022 to 2028 CAGR:
||2028 Value Projection:
||US$ 2,910.10 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC Countries, Israel, and Rest of Middle East
- Africa: South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa
- By Product: Laryngoscope, Tubes, Breathing Bag, Resuscitator, and Others
- By End User: Hospitals, Nursing Homes, & Clinics (Neonatal & pediatric, Adult, and Geriatric), Trauma Centres (Neonatal & pediatric, Adult, and Geriatric), and Homecare (Neonatal & pediatric, Adult, and Geriatric)
- By Patient Group: (Neonatal & pediatric, Adult, and Geriatric
Smiths Group (Smith Medical Inc.), Hamilton Medical AG, Getinge AB, Drägerwerk AG & CO. KGAA, Invacare Corporation, Air Liquide S.A., Chart Industries Inc, Masimo Corporation, Medtronic Plc., and Fisher & Paykel Healthcare Corporation Limited, among Others.
- Increasing prevalence of respiratory disorders
- The outbreak of COVID-19
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Stringent rules and regulations
- High failure rates of respiratory disposables
- The outbreak of COVID-19 across the globe is expected to augment the growth of the global respiratory disposables market during the forecast period. For instance, medical professionals have increased the usage of nasal cannulas for the administration of drugs to combat COVID-19. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), worldwide, as of 5:40pm CEST, 22 June 2022, there have been 538,321,874 confirmed cases of COVID-19, with 6,320,599 deaths. Thus, with the increase in number of COVID-19 cases, the demand for respiratory disposables is also expected to increase worldwide.
- Increasing prevalence of respiratory diseases, such as asthma and COPD, is expected to drive growth of the global respiratory disposables market during the forecast period. For instance, according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA), more than 25 million people in the U.S. have asthma. This equals about 1 in 13 people. It is a leading chronic disease in children. Currently, there are about 5.1 million children under the age of 18 with asthma.
Figure 2. Global Respiratory Disposables Market Share (%), by Product, 2022
- Implementation of stringent rules and regulations related to the use of respiratory disposables is expected to hinder growth of the global respiratory disposables market.
- High failure rates of respiratory disposables is also expected to impede growth of the global respiratory disposables market.
- Increase in advent of new viruses that are causing respiratory disorders is expected to offer significant growth opportunities for players in the global respiratory disposables market. For instance, COVID-19 is a respiratory illness caused by a novel coronavirus named SARS-CoV-2. On March 11, 2020, WHO declared the COVID-19 outbreak as a global pandemic.
- Increase in number of smokers around the world is expected to provide substantial growth opportunities for players in the global respiratory disposables market. For instance, according to WHO, in 2020, 22.3% of the global population used tobacco, 36.7% of all men and 7.8% of the world’s women. Over 80% of the world's 1.3 billion tobacco users live in low- and middle-income countries.
Market Trends/Key Takeaways:
- Increasing demand for respiratory disposables is expected to aid in the growth of the global respiratory disposables market. For instance, in May 2021, Dynarex Corporation announced the launch of its innovative new line of premium respiratory products, named Dynarex Resp-O2. Working closely with respiratory therapists and industry experts, Dynarex conducted in-depth research to develop a robust selection of high-quality respiratory products to serve the evolving needs of both patients and caregivers.
- Rapid growth in the global geriatric population is expected to propel the growth of the global respiratory disposables market. For instance, according to WHO, by 2030, 1 in 6 people in the world will be aged 60 years or over, and the world’s population of people aged 60 years and older will double (2.1 billion) by 2050.
- MEDTRONIC PLC.
- MASIMO CORPORATION
- FISHER & PAYKEL HEALTHCARE CORPORATION LIMITED
- CHART INDUSTRIES INC
- AIR LIQUIDE S.A.
- INVACARE CORPORATION
- DRÄGERWERK AG & CO. KGAA
- GETINGE AB
- HAMILTON MEDICAL AG
- SMITHS GROUP PLC (SMITH MEDICAL INC.)
Respiratory disposables are medical devices used in conjunction with the respiratory devices, such as oxygen therapy devices, nebulizers, and ventilators, to treat respiratory disorders such as asthma, COPD, sleep apnea, etc. A wide range of respirator types and models or disposables are available for use in patient care during respiratory pandemics, such as COVID-19 outbreak (the ongoing global pandemic). Respiratory disposables save time and thus reduce economic burden on hospitals along with prevention of infection. Thus, respiratory disposables are often used in management and treatment of respiratory disorders.
Increasing prevalence of respiratory disorders, such as COPD, asthma, and COVID-19, across the globe is expected to propel growth of the global respiratory disposables market during the forecast period. The demand for respiratory disposables has also grown due to the pandemic, resulting in governmental and industrial support for driving the pace of the manufacturing. For instance, in June 2021, AutoMedx, a company in the U.S.A. that specializes in producing easy to use mechanical ventilators, & Vincent Medical Holdings, a respiratory device supplier, sent SAVe II+ ventilators, inspired breathing circuits and inspired respiratory filters to Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) through The World Bank.
Key features of the study:
- This report provides in-depth analysis of the global respiratory disposables market, and provides market size (US$ Million) and compound annual growth rate (CAGR %) for the forecast period (2022-2028), considering 2021 as the base year.
- It elucidates potential revenue opportunities across different segments and explains attractive investment proposition matrices for this market.
- This study also provides key insights about market drivers, restraints, opportunities, new product launches or approval, market trends, regional outlook, and competitive strategies adopted by key players.
- It profiles key players in the global respiratory disposables market based on the following parameters such as company highlights, products portfolio, key highlights, financial performance, and strategies.
- Key companies covered as a part of this study include Smiths Group (Smith Medical Inc.), Hamilton Medical AG, Getinge AB, Drägerwerk AG & CO. KGAA, Invacare Corporation, Air Liquide S.A., Chart Industries Inc, Masimo Corporation, Medtronic Plc., and Fisher & Paykel Healthcare Corporation Limited, among Others.
- Insights from this report would allow marketers and the management authorities of the companies to make informed decisions regarding their future product launches, type up-gradation, market expansion, and marketing tactics.
- The global respiratory disposables market report caters to various stakeholders in this industry including investors, suppliers, product manufacturers, distributors, new entrants, and financial analysts.
- Stakeholders would have ease in decision-making through various strategy matrices used in analyzing the global respiratory disposables market.
- Global Respiratory Disposables Market, By Product:
- Breathing Bag
- Global Respiratory Disposables Market, By End User:
- Hospitals, Nursing Homes, & Clinics
- Trauma Centres
- Global Respiratory Disposables Market, By Patient Group:
- Neonatal & pediatric
- Global Respiratory Disposables Market, By Region:
- North America