Veterinary services means a development used for the care and treatment of all animals where veterinary services mainly include outpatient care and minor medical procedures involving hospitalization of less than four days. Today's veterinarians work hard to address the health and welfare needs of every species of animal. Veterinary medicine is a medical specialty that deals with the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases affecting the health of both domestic and wild animals and with the prevention of transmission of animal diseases to people.
Veterinary services fall into four main categories, such as provision of drugs, vaccines, and other products, preventive services (avoiding disease outbreaks), clinical services (treatment of diseased animals and control of production limiting disorders), and human health protection (inspection of marketed animal products).
The global veterinary services market was valued at US$ 92,238.4 Mn in 2020 and is forecast to reach a value of US$ 157,399.8 Mn by 2028 at a CAGR of 6.9% between 2021 and 2028.
North America held dominant position in the global veterinary services market in 2020, accounting for 47.7% share in terms of volume, followed by Europe and Asia Pacific, respectively.
Figure 1. Global Veterinary Services Market Share (%), by Region, 2020
In August 2021, Ethos and National Veterinary Associates collaborated to develop advanced veterinary medicines for patients and their families, as well as to enhance service offerings with advancements in medical care.
In May 2020, Greencross Vets announced the launch of a 24/7 online consultation platform for pets known as WebVet to reach out to more pet owners.
In August 2019, Ethos Discovery launched a program to cure splenic hemangiosarcoma in dog through its program, called Ethos Precision Medicine Umbrella Study for Hemangiosarcoma (ePUSH).
Veterinary Services Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2021:
||US$ 98,556.8 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2017 to 2020
||2021 to 2028
|Forecast Period 2022 to 2028 CAGR:
||2028 Value Projection:
||US$ 157,399.8 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC Countries, Israel, and Rest of Middle East
- Africa: South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa
- By Service: (Surgery, Diagnostic Tests and Imaging, Physical Health Monitoring, and Other Services)
- By Animal Type: (Companion Animal and Farm Animal)
- By Region: (North America, Latin America. Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East, and Africa)
Mars Inc., CVS Group PLC, Greencross Vets, Ethos Veterinary Health, Idexx Laboratories Inc., Pets at Home Group PLC, CityVet Inc., FirstVet, Kremer Veterinary Services, and Armor Animal Health (Animart), among others
- Increasing Prevalence of Zoonotic Diseases
- Rising Demand For Effective Medical Care
|Restraints & Challenges:
- High Cost of Veterinary Services
- Shortage of Skilled Personnel
- Lack of Awareness in Developing Economies
- Growing awareness for pet health and rising demand for effective medical care is expected to boost growth of the global veterinary services market over the forecast period. For instance, the Federation of Indian Animal Protection Organisation (FIAPO) has been working to ensure welfare of animals in India by partnering with several animal rights protection organisations and activists in the country. Moreover, the federation has been tackling a wide range of animal welfare issues through awareness campaigns and lobbying.
- Increasing prevalence of various diseases in animals or zoonotic diseases is also expected to propel growth of the global veterinary services market during the forecast period. For instance, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Zoonotic diseases are very common, both in the United States and around the world. Scientists estimate that more than 6 out of every 10 known infectious diseases in people can be spread from animals, and 3 out of every 4 new or emerging infectious diseases in people come from animals.
Figure 2. Global Veterinary Services Market Share (%) in Terms of Value, by Animal Type, 2021
- High cost of veterinary services and shortage of skilled personnel is expected to hamper the growth of the global veterinary services market. The cost of diagnostic imaging equipment and veterinary drugs is high, which has led to the high cost of veterinary services.
- Lack of awareness in developing or under-developed economies is expected to hinder growth of the global veterinary services market. For instance, cats and dogs are the two most common household companion animals that can be direct or indirect source of zoonotic infections.
- Emergence of COVID-19 across the globe is expected to offer lucrative growth opportunities for players in the veterinary services market. For instance, in May 2020, Humane Society International/Canada and Friends of HSI have launched COVID-19 Animal Response Program in Quebec in collaboration with the City of Montreal, with the generous support of PetSmart Charities of Canada. The program will provide critical assistance to families and individuals in urgent need of help in caring for their companion animals during this crisis.
- Increasing demand for veterinary services across the globe is expected to provide significant growth opportunities for players in the veterinary services market. For instance, in February 2021, DCC (Dogs, Cats, & Companions) Animal Hospital expanded its footprint in India with the launch of multi-speciality animal hospitals across the country to offer cutting-edge medical technologies for our four-legged friends.
Market Trends/Key Takeaways:
- Favorable initiatives by governments and market players to provide veterinary services are expected to drive growth of the global veterinary services market. For instance, in May 2020, Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying, Government of India, launched mobile veterinary units (MVUs) in order to provide veterinary services at the farmers’ doorstep. The overall aim of the ‘Livestock Health & Disease Control programme’ of Government of India is to improve animal health.
- Introduction of novel products or services by market players is expected to aid in the growth of the global veterinary services market. For instance, in June 2022, PetSmart announced the launch of PetSmart Veterinary Services (PVS) to provide a complete solution for veterinarians to open their own franchised practice and connects pet parents with local, trusted veterinarians and more convenient vet hospital locations within PetSmart stores.
- CVS Group PLC
- Ethos Veterinary Health
- Greencross Vets
- Idexx Laboratories Inc.
- Mars Inc.
- Pets at Home Group PLC
- Armor Animal Health (Animart)
- Kremer Veterinary Services
- FirstVet AB
- CityVet Inc.
Veterinary services means medical treatment provided by or under the direct supervision of a veterinarian, including medication prescribed by a veterinarian. Veterinary services means the provision of treatment, care, advice or guidance, or other services, or supplies, related to the health or death of an animal or to animal populations, to the extent necessary to respond to an emergency. Veterinary services help pet owners and farmers in keeping their animals healthy and free of diseases. Veterinarians use their skills to evaluate patients, make diagnoses, and to treat a wide range of animal/zoonotic diseases or conditions.
The outbreak of COVID-19 across the globe, growing awareness for pet health, and increasing animal healthcare expenditure are some major factors expected to augment growth of the global veterinary services market during the forecast period. The use of veterinary telemedicine has increased during the pandemic due to the increasing focus on veterinary telehealth services and initiatives taken by government & non-government organizations to improve animal health. For instance, in May 2021, DCC Animal Hospital launched a telehealth service, that allows pet parents and veterinarians to leverage its proprietary platform for continuous veterinarian care and support amidst the COVID-19 pandemic.
Key features of the study:
- This report provides in-depth analysis of the global veterinary services market, and provides market size (US$ Million) and compound annual growth rate (CAGR %) for the forecast period (2021–2028), considering 2020 as the base year.
- It elucidates potential revenue opportunities across different segments and explains attractive investment proposition matrices for this market.
- This study also provides key insights about market drivers, restraints, opportunities, new product launches or approval, market trends, regional outlook, and competitive strategies adopted by key players.
- It profiles key players in the global veterinary services market based on the following parameters such as company highlights, products portfolio, key highlights, financial performance, and strategies.
- Key companies covered as a part of this study include Mars Inc., CVS Group PLC, Greencross Vets, Ethos Veterinary Health, Idexx Laboratories Inc., Pets at Home Group PLC, CityVet Inc., FirstVet, Kremer Veterinary Services, and Armor Animal Health (Animart), among others.
- Insights from this report would allow marketers and the management authorities of the companies to make informed decisions regarding their future product launches, type up-gradation, market expansion, and marketing tactics.
- The global veterinary services market report caters to various stakeholders in this industry including investors, suppliers, product manufacturers, distributors, new entrants, and financial analysts.
- Stakeholders would have ease in decision-making through various strategy matrices used in analyzing the global veterinary services market.
- Global Veterinary Services Market, By Service:
- Surgery, Diagnostic Tests and Imaging
- Physical Health Monitoring
- Other Services
- Global Veterinary Services Market, By Animal Type:
- Companion Animal
- Farm Animal
- Global Veterinary Services Market, By Region:
- North America
- Latin America
- Asia Pacific
- Middle East