Apple fiber products are made by apple pomace produced from processing of apples. Apple fiber products are made by removing the juice out of the apple skin and flesh with a pressing process that collects flavor and pectin. The residue of the apple solid is dried and grinded into a uniform particle size. The natural pressing process engages no pressing aids, no double washing, no enzymes, no preservatives and no added sulfites. Apple fiber are a source of high quality soluble and insoluble dietary fibers. Organic apple fiber consists of 35-40% of dietary fibers, which helps in improving digestive process in human body. According to United States Department of Agriculture, people in the U.S. consume more apples than any other fruit such as pineapples, oranges, grapes, and bananas. Natural hybridization, widespread cultivation, and intentional crossbreeding has resulted in 7,500 distinct apple varieties across the globe, which has increased apple intake. Some of the apple varieties are Ambrosia, Allington Pippin, Birgit Bonnier, Sampion, Golden Russet, Junami, and Red Astrachan.
Apple fiber helps in improving health by aiding in controlling weight, maintain brain health, and others. It acts as an excellent source of antioxidant, and reduces inflammation and strengthens the immunity system. These health benefits associated with apple fiber is expected to fuel growth of the global apple fiber market in the forecast period. According to National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) in 2014 in the U.S., over two out of three adults are suffering from obesity or are overweight, which is about 70.2% and about 73.7% men are obese or are overweight; and about two in three women are expected to be obese or are overweight. Apple contains flavonols, flavan3-ols, anthocyanins, and flavonoids, which helps in weight reduction. Low fiber content in the body can lead to low absorption of nutrients, which will adversely affect the human body. For instance, pectin apple fiber increases the acidity in the large intestines, which helps in faster digestion process. Apple fiber are mineral-rich, which provides a sponge-like quality that helps in neutralizing the effects of acids and enzymes in the lower intestinal tracts. The fiber ratio of an unpeeled, raw apple is 70% insoluble and is 30% soluble as the skin acts as a more concentrated source of fiber than the flesh of the apple. According to United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) data, an apple without the skin consist of has 63 calories and just 1.7 grams of fiber. However, an unpeeled, small, raw apple of about 5 ounces provides 3.6 grams of fiber, which equates about 14% of the daily fiber intake. According to USDA, at 50, it is suggested that most women and men should have a daily dose of 25grams and 38grams of dietary fiber and older women and men need about 21 grams and 30 grams, respectively. Thus, this factor is expected to aid in growth of the market.
- The apple fiber market is expected to grow due to its application segment. The various application of apple fiber in numerous edible products such as breads, cookies, cookie fillings, donuts & fritters, dried fruit snacks, dried salad seasonings, horse treats, muffins, neutraceuticals, and sausages along with others. The high application of apple fiber is due to its extended properties such as it acts a natural thickening agent, a fruit extender, low cost bulking agent, and as a fat reducer. Owing to these factors the apple fiber market is expected to gain a major traction for the forecast period.
- Increasing demand for organic food products and beverages is expected to create opportunities for major market players such as Mayer Brothers and Herbafood Ingredients GmbH along with others players. Fibers extracted from organic apples is expected to gain more traction than conventional apples, owing to increasing trend of using organic products. Organic apples are pesticides free, as according to Environmental Working Group (EWG). Other factors such as better taste, low-sugar, and high-fiber content than conventional apples is another factor expected to aid in growth of the segment over the forecast period.
- Asia Pacific is expected to be the fastest growing region in the apple fiber market during the forecast period, owing to increasing demand for clean food and organic products. According to Alzheimer Disease International report, in Asia Pacific, the number of people with dementia is estimated to increase from 23 million people in 2015 to 71 million people by the year 2050. According to a clinical trial data by ADI in 2014, showed that application of apple fiber as a food nutrient helps to improve the behavior and mood of the patients those are diagnosed with dementia disease. Thus, Asia Pacific in expected to exhibit the highest CAGR in the global apple fiber market during the forecast period (2018–2025).
- Major players operating in the apple fiber market include CFF GmbH & Co. KG, J. RETTENMAIER & SÖHNE GmbH + Co KG, Pestell Minerals & Ingredients Inc, Marshall Ingredients, Herbafood Ingredients GmbH, and Mayer Brothers.
On the basis of form, the global apple fiber market is classified into:
On the basis of cultivation type, the global apple fiber market is classified into:
- Organic Apples
- Conventionally-raised Apples
On the basis of application, the global apple fiber market is classified into:
- Dietary supplements
- Others (pet foods, infant food, sauces etc.)
On the basis of distribution channel, the global apple fiber market is classified into:
- Convenience Stores
- Online Stores