Betaine is an amino acid, which is available in both natural and synthetic form. Natural betaine is commonly derived from sugar beet and its derivatives such as vinasses and molasses. Synthetic betaine such as is widely available in the market. Betaine is consumed as dietary supplement and used in animal nutrition, personal care products, food & beverages, and pharmaceutical industry. Wide range of applications of betaine is due to its ability to donate methyl group and act as an osmolyte.
Betaine reduces risk of cardiovascular diseases, improves liver function & detoxification, and aids in digestion, therefore it is used as a popular dietary supplement. Rising health awareness among consumers and growing demand for nutritional supplements are driving growth of the global betaine market. For instance, according to Council for Responsible Nutrition, 68% of the American population consumed dietary supplements in 2015.
Growing demand for sports nutrition is also increasing betaine demand as it improves muscle power endurance and accelerates muscle growth and fat loss. For instance, according to a study by Coherent Market Insights, global sports nutrition market is estimated to reach US$ 48.87 billion by 2025 from US$ 27.85 billion in 2016.
Increasing demand for betaine and its derivatives in pharmaceutical industry is fuelling growth of the betaine market as betaine hydrochloride is used in the treatment of hypochlorhydria, hyperkalemia, liver disorders, homocystinuria and gastrointestinal disturbances. Thus, growth in pharmaceutical industry is aiding growth of the betaine market. According to International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers & Associations, global pharmaceutical market is expected to reach US$ 1,430 billion by 2020.
Betaine is used in animal nutrition as an osmoregulator to reduce negative effects of coccidiosis and heat stress. Growing demand for animal feed and its additives, globally is propelling growth of the global betaine market. According to Coherent Market Insights study, global animal feed additives market was pegged at US$ 16.27 billion in 2016, and is expected to expand at a CAGR of 4.43% during the forecast period (2018-2025).
Regulations on the use of betaine in various applications is hindering growth of the global betaine market. For instance, EU Regulation 2015/1060 of July 2015, regulates authorization of betaine hydrochloride and betaine anhydrous as feed additives for animal species. Furthermore, 21CFR310.540 of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration regulates use of betaine hydrochloride as over-the-counter (OTC) stomach acidifiers.
Betaine Market Outlook
- North America held the highest market share in the global betaine market in 2017. Growing consumption of dietary supplements is a major driver for growth of this market in North America. For instance, according to Council for Responsible Nutrition, 76% adults in the U.S. consumed dietary supplements in 2017. Moreover, according to Canadian Community Health Survey, 45.6% of the Canadians consumed health supplements in 2015.
- Asia Pacific is the fastest growing betaine market during the forecast period (2018-2025), owing to growing demand for nutraceuticals and healthcare products in China, Japan, South Korea, and India. According to International Trade Association (ITA), China is the second-largest pharmaceuticals market in the world with a total pharmaceuticals sales value of US$ 108 billion in 2015.
- Europe held a significant market share in the global betaine market in 2017, with countries such as Germany, France, and U.K. as the major growth in the region. This is attributed to growing demand for betaine in personal care products and food and beverages. Natural betaine is used in personal care products, owing to its various advantages such as moisturizing effect, controlling water balance in skin, strengthening skin barrier, reducing mechanical and chemical irritation, and anti-inflammatory effect. According to Cosmetics Europe, European cosmetics market value by retail sales was US$ 89.57 billion and was the largest cosmetics market in the world in 2016.
- Players operating in the global betaine market are focusing on research and development, partnerships, and other strategies to develop new products and expand business. For instance, in July 2015, BASF and Solazyme, Inc. launched an algal betaine surfactant obtained from microalgae oil, to be used as personal care product. Furthermore, in April 2018, Cellucor launched C4 on-the-go carbonated pre-workout drink, which contains betaine as one of the active ingredient.
- Key players operating in the global betaine market include American Crystal Sugar Company, BASF SE, DowDuPont Inc., Lubrizol Corporation, Nutreco N.V., Amino GmbH, Kao Corporation, Solvay S.A., Stepan Company, and Evonik Industries AG among others.
- In 2015, BASF and Solazyme, Inc., a renewable microalgae oil and ingredients company, launched its first commercial surfactant derived from microalgae oil, a high performance algal betaine for use in home and personal care applications. The new algal betaine is a high- performance alternative to amidopropyl betaine in products that require rich and gentle foam such as shampoos, liquid soaps, hand dishwashing liquids, and other applications.
- In 2012, the Dupont and tereos jointly started new natural betaine production facility in France. The new dedicated betaine production facility is located within Tereos’ existing bioethanol production plant, the biggest sugar beet distillery in the world, at Origny-Sainte-Benoîte (France). With this collaboration DuPont wants to expand its betaine business in the France.
Global Betaine market is segmented into:
By Product Type
- Betaine Anhydrous
- Betaine Monohydrate
- Cocamidopropyl Betaine
- Animal Feed
- Food and Beverages
- Dietary Supplements
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East
- Rest of Middle East
- Northern Africa
- Central Africa
- South Africa