Bicycling is a type of sport, which is carried out for fitness purpose or as a fun activity. Wearing helmet while riding a bicycle is advised to prevent head injuries caused due to accidents. Bicycle helmets are classified based on its use such as helmet for road cycling, helmet for mountain cycling, and fitness cycling applications.
- Increasing incidence of deaths caused due to bicycle accidents is expected to drive growth of the bicycle helmet market over the forecast period. For instance, according to the traffic safety facts published by the U.S. Department of Transportation - National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in March 2017, 818 pedalcyclists died in motor vehicle traffic crashes in the U.S. in 2015, which increased from 729 in 2014 and 45,000 pedalcyclists were injured in 2015. Therefore, increasing number of injuries and deaths caused due to bicycle crashes is expected to drive growth of the bicycle helmet market.
- Moreover, key players operating in the bicycle helmet market are focused towards offering helmets in attractive colors and various designs, which in turn is increasing demand for bicycle helmets. For instance, Specialized Bicycle Components company offers ‘Centro LED’ bicycle helmet with integrated LED taillight, which allows increased visibility for its users. It is also equipped with MIPS technology (Multi-Directional Impact Protection System) for greater safety.
- Rising awareness about safety gears is expected to drive growth of the bicycle helmet market over the forecast period. According to a research study, ‘Bicycle helmets – To wear or not to wear? A meta-analyses of the effects of bicycle helmets on injuries’ published by journal of Accident Analysis and Prevention in 2018, use of bicycle helmets was found to reduce head injury by 48%, serious head injury by 60%, traumatic brain injury by 53%, face injury by 23%, and the total number of cyclists that died or who were seriously injured by 34%.
- Moreover, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, in 2017, 777 bicyclist deaths were reported in the U.S., of which 54% of bicyclists were not wearing helmets. Therefore, increasing number of bicycle accidents and rising awareness about use of helmets while riding bicycle is expected to increase demand for bicycle helmet over the forecast period.
- Key players operating in the global bicycle helmet market include Trek Bicycle Corporation, Specialized Bicycle Components, Uvex Group, Limar, ABUS August Bremicker Söhne Kg, Hardnutz Ltd., Shenzhen ShenghongSports Co., Ltd., Airoh Helmet –Locatelli S.p.A, OrbeaS. Coop, and S.EL.EV. S.r.l.
On the basis of product type, the global bicycle helmet market is segmented into:
- Road Cycling Helmet
- Mountain Cycling Helmet
- Others (Fitness Cycling, etc.)
On the basis of distribution channel, the global bicycle helmet market is segmented into:
- Hypermarket & Supermarket
- Sports Store
- Online Channel
- Others (Departmental Store, Convenience Store, etc.)
On the basis of region, the global bicycle helmet market is segmented into:
- North America
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa