Biodegradable tableware is an alternative for non-biodegradable plastics. This tableware is made up of waste materials such as bagasse, paper pulp, and bamboo, among others. Rising awareness regarding the harmful effects of plastics is a major factor driving demand for biodegradable tableware across the globe.
- Rising awareness about pollution control is a major factor driving the growth of the global biodegradable tableware market. Furthermore, ocean water pollution is a major concern which poses a threat to the aquatic life, which is another factor that is driving end users to opt for biodegradable tableware compared to other plastic based tableware.
- Moreover, increasing number of restaurants and fast food joints is another major factor propelling growth of the global biodegradable tableware market. Degradable tableware is easy to use and does not harm the environment.
- However, the cost for biodegradable tableware is higher compared to traditional disposable tableware which is made of plastic and other non-biodegradable raw material. This is expected to hamper the growth of the biodegradable tableware market during the forecast period.
- Biodegradable tableware consists of various product types such as plates, bowls, cups, and spoons among others. In case of raw material, the global biodegradable tableware market is segmented into bamboo, palm leaf, paper, and others (bagasse, etc.)
- Various product developments and product launches by major players are expected to drive growth of the biodegradable tableware market over the forecast period. For instance, in April 2015, Bakeys Foods Private Limited, an edible cutlery manufacturing company in India launched edible tableware such as bowls, spoons, and forks to minimize plastic waste and pollution. Such innovations in biodegradable tableware are expected to increase the environmental awareness and reducing pollution caused by plastic. These factors are expected to boost the growth of the global biodegradable tableware market.
- Moreover, in November 2019, Danimer Scientific, a U.S. based developer and manufacturer of biodegradable materials partnered with Genpak LLC for launching a new product line of biodegradable food containers. This product launch is expected to help both companies gain a competitive edge over other manufacturers of biodegradable tableware and thereby reduce environmental pollution worldwide.
- Key players operating in the global biodegradable tableware market include Huhtamäki Oyj, Biotrem, BioPak, Better Earth LLC, Vegware Ltd, Pactiv LLC, Eco Guardian, Genpak, LLC, Natural Tableware, and Georgia-Pacific LLC.
On the basis of product type, the global biodegradable tableware market is segmented into:
- Others (Straw, Spoon, Trays, etc.)
On the basis of raw material, the global biodegradable tableware market is segmented into:
- Palm Leaf
- Others (Bagasse, etc.)
On the basis of distribution channels, the global biodegradable tableware market is segmented into:
- Hypermarkets & Supermarkets
- Convenience Stores
- Online Stores
- Others (Specialty Stores, etc.)
On the basis of region, the global biodegradable tableware market is segmented into:
- North America
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa