Packaging plays an important role in preserving the quality of food products by protecting them from environmental, chemical, and physical damages. Packaging saves the product from various damages such as breakage, providing barriers to oxygen, moisture and other gases. It also helps in preserving the flavor and aroma of the products. Packaging helps to block the sunlight and protect food from radiation in order to preserve color and nutrients of the product. In ancient past, leaves, gourd and animal skin were used to pack the food products in order to save them from any damages. Although paper is used as a packaging material in food sector, after invention of plastic packaging, manufacturers are using plastic as material to pack food and beverages products.
- Packaging in confectionery is used to protect the product and simplify the transportation, which is driving global confectionery packaging market growth. Confectionery packaging offers various advantages such as health and sanitation standards, helps in product differentiation, and provide convenience at self-service stores, and vending machines. Development of many products in the confectionery industry has boosted the growth of the packaging industry. Packaging not only provides protection to the product but also gives out the nutritional and brand information to the consumers. Flexible packaging is gaining significant traction in the market, as it can be reused.
- Innovation of new materials to be used in packaging of products and change in consumer’s preference for packed food is expected to drive growth of the global confectionery packaging market. Increasing inclination of consumer’s towards packaged goods due to modernization is fueling market growth. Manufacturers are introducing innovative packaging to attract customers of 2-12 year age group.
- However, consumer should take measures before disposing the plastic waste, as plastic is non-degradable packaging material. Plastic packaging is not suitable for breakable consumer goods. Disadvantages which are affecting the growth of the market such as aluminum takes high amount of energy to produce, glass containers are heavy during transport and breakage of glass material by internal or external force.
- Among the material type, paper and board segment accounted for the highest market share in the confectionery packaging market in 2017. Paper was the first material to be used in packaging of products in packaging industry. Paper and board are the degradable materials and they do not have any harmful effects after disposal. Majority of the bakery and confectionery companies prefer this type of raw material due to its advantages.
- Among packaging type, rigid packaging segment dominated in the market in 2017, as master cartons are used to protect the products from any exterior jerk or pressure. Master carton is easy to store, handle, and transport. The segment is projected to have dominant position in the market over the forecast period.
- North America held highest market share in the global confectionery packaging market in 2017. The region is projected to maintain its dominance over the forecast period, owing development of confectionery products and increasing demand for premium chocolate products. According to a statistics by Swiss Federal Customs Office, United States of America is one of the five top importer of Swiss chocolates in 2016.
- Asia Pacific is projected to be the fastest growing region in the market over the forecast period. Key factors such as increasing demand for chocolate products and increase in production and grinding of cocoa beans. The Cocoa Association of Asia published an increase of 15.24% to 185,394 tons of grinding cocoa beans year-on-year from 2016 to 2017. This rise in grinding of cocoa beans will create the opportunity for the manufacturers. Asia pacific has demographic advantage by having a large number of young population. According to a report published by United Nations (UN) in 2018, Asia Pacific has world’s 60% youth population equals to 750 million.
Key Players in Global Confectionery Packaging Market
- Key players operating in the global confectionery packaging market include Bemis Company Inc., Sonoco Products Company, WestRock Company, Printpack Inc., International Paper Company, Amcor Limited, Smurfit Kappa Group, Sealed Air Corporation, Crown Holdings, Inc., and Berry Global, Inc.
- Key market players are launching new types of confectionery packaging in order to differentiate their products. In March 2018, Nestle UK launched Kit Kat senses with a new design of packaging in which chocolate in packed in small monocarton box.
On the basis of packaging type, the global confectionery packaging market is segmented into:
- Semi Rigid
On the basis of application, the global confectionery packaging market is segmented into:
- Chocolate Bars
- Sugar and Breads Confectionery
- Toffies and Candies
- Assorted Chocolates
On the basis of material, the global confectionery packaging market is segmented into:
- Paper and Board
On the basis of region, the global confectionery packaging market is segmented into:
- North America
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa