Flushing systems form an integral part of a lavatory, owing to the requirement to flush discharged waste matter. It uses water or vacuum to force waste matter down the pipeline connected to the disposable location. These consist of water tank, mechanical components, and electronic sensors and components depending on the user requirements. Requirement to maintain hygiene and proper disposal is expected to create product demand through the forecast period.
Advent of advanced and automatic flushing systems would provide considerable market traction
Conventional requirement for seven gallons of water per flush (gpf) has been reduced to 1.6 to 1.28 gpf of water in order to reduce wastage of water. Kay companies in the market including, Kohler Co., Jaquar, Cera, Mueller Water Products, Inc., and Geberit have started offering products that use water, lower than 1.28 gpf for urinals and toilets. Moreover, industry participants are making significant advancements such as integration of sensors, electronic touchpads, introducing vacuum equipment or making the whole system automatic, for consumer convenience. For instance, in November 2014, American Standard introduced Optum Vormax Toilet technology, that was featured with self-cleaning features. Automatic and touchless products that feature minimized germs spreading have also gained significant traction over the past few years, specifically in commercial places such as hotels, malls, and restaurants. Such advancements are expected to provide strong industry growth prospects over the forecast period.
Global Flushing System Market Taxonomy
On the basis of mechanism, the global flushing system market is classified into:
- Gravity flush
- Pressure Assisted
On the basis of operation mode, the global flushing system market is classified into:
- Touch based systems
- Touchless systems
On the basis of deployment, the global flushing system market is classified into:
- Public (urinals and toilets)
- Government buildings
On the basis of regions, the global flushing system market is classified into:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East
Government initiatives to cease open defecation and large potential in Asia Pacific emerging economies are expected to fuel the market growth in the region
Asia Pacific is home to the world’s largest population base and is expected to account for the highest volume consumption through the forecast period. However, open defecation prevalent in some emerging economies including India, Pakistan, and Indonesia, is among the major factor that is expected to hinder the flushing system market growth through the forecast period. Open defecation refers to the practice of using open fields, bushes, forests, open water bodies or any other places other than the toilets.
Rising awareness regarding health and hygiene and increasing infections such as worms and diarrhea owing to open defecation is expected to be a factor for growing demand for toilets and flushing systems. According to United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), India has the most prevalence of open defecation accounting for around 50% of the nation’s population. However, government initiatives to reduce these practices through programs such as ‘Swachh Bharat Mission’ and provide funding for households to build proper sanitation facilities is expected to aid in market growth in the region.
The U.S. and other developed countries in Western Europe are expected to witness consistent demand and flat growth trend over the next few years. This is primarily owing to presence of already developed sanitary infrastructure. Demand in these regions would primarily comprise renovation of old infrastructures and new water saving equipment and technologies.
Gravity flush was the most conventional form of equipment and accounted for the largest share in 2016 in the market. Owing to low cost, ubiquitous availability, and easy manufacturing, it is expected to be the largest segment in terms of volume consumption. However, changing consumer tastes and increasing inclination towards aesthetically appealing products and other commercial applications is expected to increase demand for electronic and other product segments.
Global Flushing System Market: Key Players
Chief industry participants in the global flushing systems market includes Hindware, GROHE, Geberit, TOTO, Kohler, Caroma, Enware, Jaquar, Lecico, Sanitaryware, CERA, Parryware, RAK Ceramics, Roca, Sonas, Seima, TECE, Villeroy & Boch, Verotti, and VitrA.
Global Flushing System Market: Key Developments
- In February 2019, Hindware introduced India’s first Water Closet with Aqua Sheet Flushing technology. The latest technology by Hindware, rinses the WC thoroughly, making it impossible for germs to accumulate. The modern and futuristic water closet, with its geometry-inspired design and duroplast slow-falling seat cover, ensures the aesthetic sensibilities of the consumers are met.
- In April 2018, GROHE introduced Cube, holistic bathroom design providing various product line such as washbasins, toilets, and bidets. Each product has been technically tested for three aspects: easy installation, no water spraying while washing hands, and plenty of room for optimum comfort.
- In July 2018, Kohler Co., a manufacturer of kitchen and bath products, launched its first Tech Centre in India. With the Tech Centre located next to its state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities in Jhagadia, The facility will primarily display latest product designs and take the various stakeholders through the process of manufacturing products that Kohler designs.
- In November 2018, Jaquar introduced BIDSPA Prime, A water closet which is technological marvel consisting of features such as It lights up with a blue glow and the seat temperature warms up if it’s cold. There’s no need for toilet paper any more. Its numerous wash modes, built-in dryer, and deodorizer integrate all the functions of a bidet, taking personal cleansing to an altogether new level.
- In August 2019, RAK Ceramics announced the opening of its first flagship showroom in the UK. 250sqm in size and featuring a dedicated tile and sanitaryware area showcasing the latest RAK Ceramics products, the showroom also features a “Room for Imagination” designed to inspire interior designers and architects.