Phone packaging essential to ensure protection against external damage and harm. Considering the high prices of mobile phones and its fragility, a secured packaging is a priority for transporting them from manufacturing locations to the retail stores. Packaging protects the mobile phones and their components while they are shipped or stored in distributor warehouses. Increasing demand for mobile phones globally is a major factor responsible for driving growth of the global mobile phone packaging market. The International Telecommunication Union estimated that 4.30 billion people used mobile phones globally, which represented 58.7% of the global population. Increasing demand for secured packaging of mobile phone accessories such as earphones, chargers, and USB cables, is increasing the demand for such packaging.
Mobile Phone Packaging Market Taxonomy
Based on the packaging type, mobile phone packaging can be segmented into:
- Folding Cartons
- Flexible Films
- Rigid Boxes
- Insert Trays
- Thermoformed Blisters
- Bubble Wraps
Based on the material type, mobile phone packaging can be segmented into:
- Poly Vinyl Chloride (PVC)
- Polyethylene terephthalate (PET)
- Polyethylene (PE)
- High Impact Polystyrene (HIPS)
- Molded Fibers
Based on the application type, mobile phone packaging can be segmented into:
- Smart Phones
- Refurbished Phones
- Feature Phones
Among packaging type, the folding cartons segment is expected to be the most dominant during the forecast period. This is due to the growing demand for mid-range mobile phones in emerging economies such as India and China. Among material type, the paperboard segment is projected to be the most dominant, owing to the recyclable nature of paperboards.
Asia Pacific is expected to be a dominant region in the global mobile phone packaging market. The increasing number of mobile phone users in India and China are expected to drive the demand for mobile phone packaging in the Asia Pacific. The Department of Telecommunications India, in 2017, reported that around 92.03 of every 100 citizens use cellphones in India. The increasing population in India and China has seen an unprecedented demand for mobile phones. The emergence of local mobile phone manufacturers in these countries in tur, is expected to augment growth of the market during the forecast period.
Europe is home to a large number of mobile phone users. According to the EU 8 out of 10 internet users were surfed via a mobile or smart phone, in 2017. This has resulted in an increasing demand for smart phones in the developed countries of Europe. This in turn, is augmenting growth of the mobile phone packaging market in the region.
Major players operating in the global mobile phones packaging include Any Graphics Private Limited (AGPL), Pragati Pack (India) Pvt. Ltd, UFP Technologies, Plastic Ingenuity Inc., Cellpaks Solutions Ltd., Koohing International Development (HK) Limited, Guangxhou Junye Packaging Co. Ltd., Dongguan City Luheng Papers Company Ltd., and Hip Lik Packaging Products Fty. Ltd.
Mobile Phone Packaging Market: Key Developments
- In Feb 2019, Any Graphics Private Limited made a purchase of its fully automatic rigid box manufacturing machine from Hongming. The company has made with purchase with the objective of increasing its production capacity to 120,000 boxes per day.
- In October 2018, UFP Technologies exhibited at Pack Expo International in Chicago. The company displayed a wide variety of packaging solutions used for mobile phone packaging, which were made for 100% recycled paper.
- In Feb 2018, Plastic Ingenuity Inc. focused on the adoption of the packaging processes which are making substantive use of the automation processes for ensuring smooth and highly efficient operations.
- In March 2017, Koohing International Development (HK) Limited made a purchase of New Auto 2sides Sticky Tape Assemble Machine. This machine is capable of sticking the sticker tapes to the paper boxes. This is usually used for the seal ending boxes.
- In 2012, Hip Lik Packaging Products Fty. Ltd had achieved a certification of BRC Global Standard for Packaging and Packaging Materials. In 2011, the company had also established its offices in India and Korea.