Onion seed constitutes around 38% of oil, which is responsible for its aromatic flavor. Apart from oil, onion seeds are also used as flavoring agents in cooking.
- The increasing awareness regarding the health benefits of onion seeds is expected to boost demand for onion seeds, thereby driving the market growth, globally. For instance, onion seeds consist of sodium, calcium, iron, and potassium among others.
- Furthermore, the oil extracted from onion seeds is also used for treating diarrhea, asthma as well as dyslipidemia, which is a medical condition in which the abnormal concentrations of lipids develop in blood
- However, cultivation of onion seeds require hot dry summers and develop best in silty or sandy soils, which has high water-holding capacity and a consistent water supply. This factor is expected to hamper the on timely supply of onion seeds and hence, end users might switch to other alternatives with similar health benefits such as black onion seeds, among other vegetable seeds. This is expected to negatively impact growth of the global onion seeds market during the forecast period.
- The increasing awareness regarding health benefits offered by onion such as it contains vitamin C, antioxidants, fiber, and prebiotics, among others is expected to fuel demand for onion seeds market and in turn, drive the market growth.
- Among regions, Asia Pacific is expected to account for a significant share during the forecast period owing to the high production rate and thereby increasing exports of onion from India and China, among others Asia Pacific countries. For instance, according to the International Trade Centre, in 2018, the Netherlands, China, and Mexico accounted for the highest onion exports in the world, which constituted a share of (US$ 676 million) 19.1%, (US$ 509 million) 14.4%, and (US$ 428 million) 12.1%, respectively. These factors are expected to propel the market growth of global onion seeds over the forecast period.
- Among form, organic onion seeds are cultivated by using organic fertilizers and pesticides. The demand for organically grown food products is increasing, owing to rising awareness regarding adverse effects of chemical fertilizers and pesticides used for crop production. Organic onion seeds are obtained from onions, which are grown without the use of any toxic agrochemicals such as synthetic pesticides and fungicides. Therefore, in order to attract consumer base, players operating in the onion seeds market are expected to shift towards offering organically grown onion seeds.
- Key players operating in the global onion seeds market include BASF SE, Sakata Seed Corporation, Syngenta AG, Limagrain, Namdhari Seeds Pvt. Ltd., Reimer Seeds, Jordan Seeds Inc. and UAE Agriseeds
On the basis of form, the global onion seeds market is segmented into:
- Organic Onion Seeds
- Conventional Onion Seeds
On the basis of product type, the global onion seeds market is segmented into:
- Red Onion
- White Onion
- Others (Green Onion, etc.)
On the basis of distribution channel, the global onion seeds market is segmented into:
- Business to Business (B2B)
- Business to Consumer (B2C)
- Hypermarkets & Supermarkets
- Specialty Stores
- Online Channels
On the basis of region, the global onion seeds market is segmented into:
- North America
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa