Pressure labels stick on to the product by the application of pressure on the adhesive. They are used in pharmaceutical and natural products, beverages, microbrewery, automotive products, chemical pails, household goods, food industry, and cider and wine industry. The pressure labels do not require heat, solvent, and water to adhere to the package. They are easy to use and highly versatile.
Growth in the pharmaceutical industry coupled with its vast application scope in diverse industries is the major driver for pressure labels market. Latest innovations in pressure label products and rising demand in Asia Pacific are expected to fuel the market growth over the forecast period. However the strict government environmental regulations are major restraints for the growth of the pressure labels market. The initial cost for manufacturers is more if manufactured in small quantities, hence the cost to profit ratio is a concern to small manufacturers.
Pressure Labels Market Taxonomy
On the basis of Type, the pressure labels market is segmented into:
- Release Liner Labels
- Linerless Labels
On the basis of Composition, the pressure labels market is segmented into:
On the basis of Printing Technology, the pressure labels market is segmented into:
- Digital Printing
- Screen Printing
On the basis of Mode of application, the pressure labels market is segmented into:
- Water-based Pressure Labels
- Solvent-based Pressure Labels
- Hot Melt-based Pressure Labels
- Radiation-based Pressure Labels
On the basis of end-use industry, the pressure labels market is segmented into:
- Food & Beverages
- Consumer Durables
- Home & Personal Care
Depending upon the type of label, the composition changes. Liner pressure labels are of high cost and they require a large amount of storage space.
Pressure Labels Market Outlook
- Asia Pacific is the largest and estimated to be the fastest growing market due to burgeoning growth in the food & beverages and pharmaceutical industry, which has been driven by urbanization in China, India, and Japan. Pressure labels market in the region is expected to grow along with the forecasted demand growth for food, beverages, and pharmaceutical products
- North American and European pressure labels markets are also projected to grow due to the increasing commercialization and industrialization in these regions. Also, significant application of pressure labels in various industries gives it a stronghold
- The Middle East is witnessing burgeoning growth in the construction segment. The countries in this region aim to reduce their dependency on oil revenues and have largely invested in the commercial and residential construction sector. This has transformed countries such as the UAE, Saudi Arabia, and Qatar into luxurious tourism and shopping destinations
- The Latin American market has experienced substantial growth as a result of the swift growth in automotive and construction industries in the region. Emerging markets of Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, and Mexico drive add to the market growth in the region. Consecutive sporting events in the form of FIFA World Cup 2014 and Olympics 2016 had given the Brazilian economy a boost. Though recently a slowdown has been observed, return to previous growth figures is expected due to rising consumption from the ever increasing population
- In 2016, Avery Dennison Corporation expanded its AveryPRO line of pressure sensitive labels for professional printers and graphic designers. The company launched Soft Touch and Silver Matte labels to existing product portfolio. The products will eliminate the need for post-production finishes & specialized inks, reduce the costs, increase profitability and speed up the printing process.
- In 2016, Avery Dennison Corporation acquired European business of Mactac, manufacture of pressure sensitive products including specialty labels, graphics, and industrial tapes. The acquisition helped Avery Dennison to expand its product portfolio and increased its production capacity. Mactac Europe also served customers in Asia Pacific, South America, Middle East and Africa which helped Avery Dennison to strengthen its market presence.
- In November 2018, CCL Industries Inc. acquired Unilogo (Poland based supplier of pressure sensitive, sleeve and digitally printed labels). The acquisition will help to CCL Industries to expand its product portfolio.
- In 2017, Pacman-CCL (a joint venture between Albwardy Investment CCL Industries Inc.) acquired 70% stake in Super Lablel Mfg. Co., manufacturer of pressure sensitive labels for consumer products and healthcare industry based in Mumbai, India. The acquisition helped CCL Industries to enter in Indian market.
Some of the major players in the pressure labels market are Avery Dennison Corporation (U.S.), CCL Industries Inc. (Canada), Constantia Flexibles (Austria), UPM (Finland), 3M (U.S.), Henkel AG & Co. KGaA (Germany), Mondi Group (South Africa), Coveris Holdings S.A. (U.S.), H.B Fuller (U.S.), and Torraspapel Adestor (Spain).