Sodium caseinate is a light yellow odorless powder, which is produced by neutralizing sodium carbonate or sodium hydroxide to make it solubilize in water. Sodium caseinate powder has long shelf life, high nutritional value, and essential amino acids. It has properties such as foam stability, high solubility, water binding capacity and emulsifying properties used in food and pharmaceutical industry. Sodium caseinate is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations to be used as binder, emulsifier, and whipping agent in food products.
Increasing demand for sodium caseinate in food and beverages industry is expected to be a major factor driving growth of the global sodium caseinate market over the forecast period, owing to the use of sodium caseinate, as food additives in ice-cream, meat, cheese, biscuits, and bread. For instance, according to the Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MOFPI), the total consumption of food and beverages in India was valued at US$ 369 billion in 2017 and is expected to increase to US$ 1.142 trillion by 2025.
However, availability of alternatives such as calcium caseinate and potassium caseinate is a major restraining factor affecting growth of the market.
- Among end-use industry, food and beverages segment held a significant market share in the sodium caseinate market across the globe in 2017 due to the increasing demand for food additives in dairy and functional foods. Sodium caseinate is used as nutritional supplements, thickener, and texture stabilizer in foods such as coffee creamer, yogurt drinks, cakes, ice cream, and seafood products. For instance, according to Coherent Market Insights, the global food additives market was valued at US$ 45.05 billion in 2016 and is expected to expand at a CAGR of 4.47% during forecast period.
- Asia Pacific is the fastest growing region in the global sodium caseinate market, owing to the government initiatives for safety standards of food and rising demand for sodium caseinate in emerging economies such as India and China. According to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), National Health and Family Planning Committee of China issued the National Food Safety Standard for Food Additive Use (GB2760-2014), which included sodium caseinate and was implemented on May 24, 2015.
- Europe held a significant market share in the global sodium caseinate market in 2017, owing to the rising demand for sodium caseinate in cosmetics and personal care products. Sodium caseinate (SO153) is a sodium salt of casein that is applicable in bath oils, tablets, and salts, and eye makeup products. For instance, according to the United States Department of Commerce, Germany cosmetic industry was valued at US$ 14.3 billion in 2016 and the natural cosmetic products segment in Germany has great opportunities for U.S. exporters with annual growth of 9%.
- North America held a significant market share in the global sodium caseinate market in 2017 due to increasing demand for confectionery products across the region. Sodium caseinate has strong hydrophilicity and emulsification properties that is used in meat and aquatic meat products to improve emulsion property. For instance, according to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), the top three U.S confectionery markets are Canada, Mexico, and South Korea. Canada accounted for 42%, followed by Mexico at 16%, and South Korea at 5% of total confectionery market.
Key players operating in the global sodium caseinate market include AMCO Proteins, Seebio Biotech (Shanghai) Co., Ltd., Lactoprot Deutschland GmbH, TATUA Co-Operative Dairy Co., Ltd, Ornua Co-operative Limited, Charotar Casein Company, Erie Foods International, Inc., Clover Fonterra Ingredients Proprietary Limited., FrieslandCampina DMV, and Farbest Brands.
Key players are strategically investing in mergers and acquisitions to enhance their market share and retain dominant position in the market. In September 2013, Lactoprot established its subsidiary Dairyfood GmbH and in 2014, Lactoprot Deutschland GmbH acquired Arla Foods to expand its product portfolio in food ingredients in German food industries.
On the basis of grade, the global sodium caseinate market is segmented into:
- Food Grade
- Industrial Grade
On the basis of end-use industry, the global sodium caseinate market is segmented into:
- Food & Beverages
- Personal Care and Cosmetics
- Others (Chemical)
On the basis of region, the global sodium caseinate market is segmented into:
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East
- Rest of Middle East
- Northern Africa
- Central Africa
- South Africa