The Calcium Citrate Malate Market size is expected to reach US$ 484.3 million by 2030, from US$ 290 million in 2023, at a CAGR of 7.6% during the forecast period.
Calcium citrate malate is a calcium supplement often derived from limestone or eggshells. It is commonly used to support bone health, dental health, and cardiovascular health. The key drivers of the calcium citrate malate market include rising health consciousness, growing geriatric population, and increasing prevalence of bone disorders like osteoporosis.
The Calcium Citrate Malate Market is segmented by product type, application, end-user, and region. By product type, the market is segmented into powder, granular, liquid and others. The powder segment accounted for the largest share of over 40% in 2023 owing to its ease of consumption and higher absorption rate.
Calcium Citrate Malate Market Regional Insights
- North America is expected to be the largest market for Calcium Citrate Malate Market during the forecast period, accounting for over 41.2% of the market share in 2023. The growth of the market in North America is attributed to the high prevalence of bone disorders, increasing health awareness, and presence of major players in the region.
- The Asia Pacific market is expected to be the second-largest market for Calcium Citrate Malate Market, accounting for over 28.7% of the market share in 2023. The growth of the market in is attributed to rising health consciousness and aging demographics in the region.
- The Europe market is expected to be the fastest-growing market for Calcium Citrate Malate Market, with a CAGR of over 16.5% during the forecast period. The growth of the market in Europe is attributed to the growing adoption of preventive healthcare practices and increasing launches of calcium citrate malate products.
Figure 1. Global Calcium Citrate Malate Market Share (%), by Region, 2023
Calcium Citrate Malate Market Drivers
- Growing prevalence of bone health issues: The growing prevalence of bone health issues such as osteoporosis and osteopenia is a major factor driving growth of the calcium citrate malate market. According to health organizations, over 200 million people suffer from osteoporosis worldwide. Calcium citrate malate supplements can help improve bone mineral density and reduce the risk of fractures. The rising cases of bone health problems globally is creating significant demand for calcium supplements including calcium citrate malate.
- Increasing health consciousness among consumers: With rising awareness about preventive healthcare, consumers are increasingly focused on proper nutrition and supplements to meet their recommended intakes of vitamins and minerals. Calcium deficiency is common worldwide, driving many health-conscious consumers towards calcium supplements. Calcium citrate malate is more soluble and bioavailable compared to other forms of calcium, making it an ideal choice. The shift towards preventive health is driving supplements sales, fueling growth of the calcium citrate malate market.
- Growth of the dietary supplements industry: The global dietary supplements market has witnessed substantial growth in recent years driven by consumer demand for health and wellness products. Calcium supplements account for a significant share in the dietary supplements sector. The rapid growth of dietary supplements industry across the globe is creating significant opportunities for calcium supplement manufacturers including calcium citrate malate products.
- Rising demand from food & beverage manufacturers: Calcium citrate malate is increasingly being used as a food additive in functional food and beverages to boost their calcium content. The growing consumer demand for fortified and calcium-rich food and beverages is driving up uptake of calcium additives by food manufacturers. The rising demand for clean-label and organic ingredients is also favoring adoption of plant-derived calcium citrate malate in food & beverages, supporting market growth.
Calcium Citrate Malate Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2023:
||US$ 290 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2018 to 2021
||2023 - 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 484.3 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa: GCC Countries, Israel, South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa and Rest of Middle East
- By Product Type: Powder, Granular, Liquid, Others
- By Application: Pharmaceuticals, Nutraceuticals, Food & Beverages, Personal Care, Others
- By End-User: Medical, Dietary Supplements, Functional Food & Beverages, Cosmetics & Personal Care, Others
Jungbunzlauer, Gadot Biochemical Industries, Sucroal, Dr. Paul Lohmann, Global Calcium, TATE & LYLE, American Elements, Triveni Chemicals, A.B. Enterprises, Nikunj Chemicals, Advait Industries, Anmol Chemicals, Krishna Chemicals, AMS biotechnology, Henan Honghui Biotechnology
- Rising health consciousness
- Growing geriatric population
- Increase in bone health disorders
- Rise in demand for dietary supplements
|Restraints & Challenges:
- High costs compared to other calcium supplements
- Side effects at high dosages
- Low awareness in developing countries
Calcium Citrate Malate Market Opportunities
- Growing demand for gummy supplements: Gummy supplements are forecast to be one of the fastest growing supplement delivery formats owing to their taste and ease of consumption. Several calcium supplement manufacturers have launched gummy variants containing calcium citrate malate to cater to this demand. Calcium citrate malate's neutral taste profile makes it well-suited for gummy supplements. Manufacturers have significant opportunities to leverage the rapid growth of gummy supplements by developing innovative products targeted toward various age demographics.
- Untapped demand in emerging markets: Developing economies such as China, India and Brazil represent significant untapped opportunities for calcium supplement manufacturers. Growing health awareness, aging populations, and rising disposable incomes make these markets highly lucrative. Large underserved populations with low calcium intake present major opportunities for market players. Strategic partnerships, advertising and localized products can help manufacturers tap into the strong growth potential offered by developing regions.
- Innovations in delivery mechanisms: Advancements in delivery technologies present an opportunity for manufacturers to develop differentiated and consumer-friendly calcium supplements. For instance, companies are commercializing chewable and effervescent calcium citrate malate tablets that offer added convenience and experience. Similarly, launching calcium fortified food and beverages provides added opportunities for consumption. Investments in developing innovative delivery mechanisms can help attract new consumers in the calcium supplements market.
- Growing pet supplement segment: The pet supplements segment is witnessing rapid growth driven by pet humanization and rising awareness of pet health issues. Calcium supplements are recommended for pets to support their bone health. Launching calcium citrate malate supplements specifically formulated and marketed for pets can help manufacturers tap into the fast-growing pet supplements market. The significant rise in pet ownership and spending on pet care presents a promising avenue of growth.
Calcium Citrate Malate Market Trends
- Increasing launch of plant-based and organic supplements: Consumers today are increasingly demanding plant-based and organic supplements made from natural ingredients. Several manufacturers have launched organic and plant-based calcium citrate malate supplements to address this need. Being plant-derived, calcium citrate malate has strong appeal among consumers looking for vegetarian/vegan and organic supplements, giving it an edge over animal-derived calcium salts. The rise of plant-based lifestyles and clean label movement make this a strong product development trend.
- Combination products with added minerals and vitamins: Combination calcium supplements containing additional minerals like magnesium and vitamins such as vitamin D are becoming increasingly popular. Several manufacturers offer calcium citrate malate supplements combined with zinc, magnesium, vitamin K2, vitamin D3 and other essential micronutrients. These combination products offer more comprehensive bone health benefits. Adding complementary ingredients to calcium supplements is a major formula innovation trend catering to consumer demand.
- Shift to eCommerce and D2C sales platforms: The calcium citrate malate market has witnessed a pronounced shift towards online sales in recent years. Players are increasingly focusing on eCommerce channels and adopting direct-to-consumer strategies. Social media marketing, influencer campaigns, and brand websites are becoming popular for supplement brands. Selling directly to consumers enables access to sales data and supports development of personalized products. The D2C approach also promotes loyal customer relationships. The rise of eCommerce is transforming marketing and sales in the supplements industry.
- Transparency and clean labeling: Consumers today scrutinize supplement labels and demand total transparency from brands regarding their ingredients and claims. Clean labeling, non-GMO, and free-from claims like gluten-free have become highly desirable attributes. To appeal to label-conscious consumers, manufacturers are offering Non-GMO, allergen-free and additive-free calcium citrate malate supplements. Investments in tamper-proof packaging and blockchain technology for supply chain traceability also support transparency. These initiatives to enhance label trust are critical trends shaping product positioning.
Calcium Citrate Malate Market Restraints
- High costs compared to other calcium supplement forms: Despite advantages like high bioavailability, calcium citrate malate supplements are priced higher than other forms like calcium carbonate. The higher production costs are due to the complex manufacturing process. The premium pricing limits adoption among cost-conscious consumers, restraining market growth. Manufacturers should focus on reducing production costs through innovations in manufacturing and economies of scale.
- Side effects at high dosages: While recognized as safe and well-tolerated, some side effects like constipation, flatulence, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea have been reported in some individuals taking high doses of calcium citrate malate. Concerns regarding potential side effects limit widespread adoption among some demographic groups like pregnant women and children. Manufacturers should educate consumers regarding following the recommended dosage.
- Low awareness in developing countries: Despite advantages, the adoption of calcium citrate malate remains low in developing regions. Lack of consumer awareness regarding the benefits of branded supplements over traditional alternatives like dairy restrict uptake. Limited access and infrastructure in rural areas also hampers growth. Players need to invest more in education and awareness campaigns targeted at developing markets to drive higher adoption.
New product launches
- In January 2021, Jungbunzlauer launched CalCium, a highly soluble calcium citrate malate ingredient designed for beverage applications. It provides formulated beverages with a neutral taste profile.
- Product Launch 2: In June 2022, American Elements launched calcium citrate malate designed for use in dietary supplements. It helps support bone health and teeth health.
- Product Launch 3: In May 2020, Dr. Paul Lohmann launched Calcichew D3 Forte, a calcium citrate malate supplement that also contains vitamin D3 for optimal calcium absorption. It is used to prevent osteoporosis.
Acquisition and partnerships
- In October 2022, Jungbunzlauer acquired India-based calcium malate manufacturer Adlt Food to expand its footprint and production capacities in the growing Indian market.
- In May 2021, Gadot Biochemical acquired a 51% stake in Nikunj Chemicals to leverage Nikunj's distribution network and local market expertise to drive growth across India.
- In December 2020, Tate & Lyle signed an agreement with DPO International to distribute its calcium citrate malate ingredients across Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
Figure 2. Global Calcium Citrate Malate Market Share (%), by Application, 2023
Top companies in Calcium Citrate Malate Market
- Gadot Biochemical Industries
- Paul Lohmann
- Global Calcium
- TATE & LYLE
- American Elements
- Triveni Chemicals
- B. Enterprises
- Nikunj Chemicals
- Advait Industries
- Anmol Chemicals
- Krishna Chemicals
- AMS biotechnology
- Henan Honghui Biotechnology
*Definition: The Calcium Citrate Malate Market refers to the industry and market associated with calcium citrate malate supplements. Calcium citrate malate is a calcium supplement commonly derived from limestone or eggshells and is used to support bone health, dental health, cardiovascular health and muscle function. The market includes the production, marketing, sale and distribution of calcium citrate malate ingredients and formulations for use in dietary supplements, nutraceuticals, functional foods & beverages, pharmaceuticals and personal care products. Key factors driving market growth include rising health consciousness, growth in aging populations, increasing prevalence of bone disorders like osteoporosis, and rising adoption in preventive healthcare.
Few other promising reports in Bulk Chemicals Industry
Textile Chemical For Technical Textiles Market
Textile Chemicals Market
Acetic Acid Market
Fermentation Chemicals Market