The Cyanate Ester Resins Market size is expected to reach US$ 377.3 million by 2030, from US$ 211.8 million in 2023, at a CAGR of 8.6% during the forecast period. Cyanate ester resins are a class of thermosetting polymers made by the reaction of bisphenol and cyanogen chloride. They are high-performance resins offering exceptional thermal and chemical resistance, high mechanical strength, and low dielectric properties. The key drivers of the cyanate ester resins market include their increasing use in composites owing to superior properties over traditional resins, the growth of end-use industries such as aerospace and electronics, and the replacement of epoxy resins in high-performance applications.
The Cyanate Ester Resins Market is segmented by resin type, application, end-use industry, and region. By resin type, the market is segmented into bisphenol E cyanates, novolac cyanates, bisphenol A cyanates, and others. Bisphenol E cyanate esters account for the largest share as they offer a high glass transition temperature and low volatility. By application, the market is classified into composites, adhesives, coatings, and others. Composites account for the dominant share, driven by the increasing use of cyanate ester composites in the aerospace industry for manufacturing lightweight components.
Cyanate Ester Resins Market Regional Insights
- The Asia Pacific region is the largest market for cyanate ester resins, accounting for 45% of the global market share. This is due to the rapid growth of the electronics industry in the region, as well as the growing demand for high-performance materials in the aerospace and automotive industries.
- North America is the second-largest market for cyanate ester resins, accounting for 30% of the global market share. The growth of the cyanate ester resins market in North America is being driven by the increasing demand for high-performance materials in the aerospace and defense industries.
- Europe is the third-largest market for cyanate ester resins, accounting for 20% of the global market share. The growth of the cyanate ester resins market in Europe is being driven by the increasing demand for high-performance materials in the automotive and electronics industries.
Figure 1. Global Cyanate Ester Resins Market Share (%), by Region, 2023
Cyanate Ester Resins Market Drivers
- Increasing use of cyanate ester based composites in aerospace industry: The aerospace industry is increasingly using cyanate ester based composites in the manufacturing of interior and structural components of aircraft. Cyanate esters offer exceptional strength-to-weight ratios, allowing for lightweight and durable composite parts. The high glass transition temperature, low dielectric loss, and excellent moisture and chemical resistance of cyanate composites make them suitable for use in radomes, antennae, wings, tails, fuselages and other components. Cyanate esters are 15-25% lighter than traditional epoxy composites. Leading aerospace companies like Boeing, Airbus, Bombardier are qualifying new cyanate prepregs and fabrics to develop lightweight structures. The shift towards cyanate composites enables improved fuel efficiency, range and maneuverability of aircrafts.
- Rapid growth in production of electronics: There is a rapid growth in the production of consumer electronics, communication devices, automotive electronics etc. Cyanate esters are widely used in printed circuit boards, antennas, connectors and housings of electronic components owing to their superior electrical performance, high heat resistance and low moisture absorption. The growing electronics industry is anticipated to drive the demand for cyanate ester resins.
- Increasing adoption of cyanate esters in structural adhesives: Cyanate esters are gaining increasing preference over traditional materials in structural adhesives used in transportation, wind energy, construction etc. Cyanate adhesives provide very high strength, toughness and durability under extreme conditions. They are resistant to fatigue, shock and adverse environments. The superior bonding characteristics on metals, composites and plastics make cyanate adhesives suitable for load-bearing joints and structures subjected to high stresses. The growth in transportation, infrastructure and renewable energy sectors is expected to drive adoption.
- Favorable properties driving replacement of BMI and polyimides: Cyanate esters are replacing bismaleimide (BMI) resins and polyimides in several high performance applications owing to favorable properties like low toxicity, excellent adhesion and hot/wet performance. Cyanate esters have emerged as more reliable and cost-effective alternatives in advanced composites like radomes, sporting goods and satellites. The demand for cyanate esters in the defense and space exploration sectors is rising on account of their lightweight, high strength and ability to survive extreme conditions.
Cyanate Ester Resins Market Opportunities
- Emerging applications in 3D printing: Cyanate esters have emerged as promising resin materials for 3D printing applications that require high heat and chemical resistance. Their low viscosity, low curing shrinkage and good inter-layer adhesion make them suitable for printing complex geometries with high dimensional stability and accuracy. Cyanate esters enable printing of durable and stiff components with low dielectric loss that can withstand high temperatures. Adoption of cyanate esters in aerospace, automotive and electronics 3D printing is expected to rise on account of superior performance over traditional materials.
- Rising demand for lightweight materials in automotive sector: The automotive industry is moving towards lightweight materials to improve fuel efficiency and achieve emission standards. Cyanate ester prepregs can reduce weight by up to 40% compared to steel and 20% versus aluminum. Cyanate composites have high strength-to-weight ratio and improve impact resistance. Major automakers are implementing cyanate components like body panels, structural frames, cylinder liners, intake manifolds etc. to reduce vehicular weight. The shift towards electric mobility and fuel economy is expected to spur adoption of cyanate composites.
- Growing use of cyanate ester based CMCs: Carbon-cyanate ester composites (CMC) exhibit exceptional properties like high temperature stability, damage tolerance and corrosion resistance. CMCs are enabling design of next-gen thermal protection systems for hypersonic vehicles, turbine engine components, nozzle flaps, radomes etc. Leading aerospace companies are actively developing CMCs using cyanate ester resins owing to their ability to withstand extreme environments. The advances in CMCs technology presents significant prospects for cyanate esters.
- Rising demand in developing regions: Developing economies in APAC, LATAM, MEA are expected to drive future demand for cyanate esters, supported by industrialization and investments in end-use sectors like transportation, renewable energy, electronics etc. Urbanization, rising income levels and favorable policies focused on self-reliance in advanced materials are also contributing to increased consumption. Local production capabilities are being established by leading resin suppliers. The growth opportunities in emerging markets augurs well for the cyanate esters market.
Cyanate Ester Resins Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2023:
||US$ 211.8 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2018 to 2021
||2023 - 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 377.3 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa: GCC Countries, Israel, South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa and Rest of Middle East
- By Resin Type: Bisphenol E Cyanates, Novolac Cyanates, Bisphenol A Cyanates, Others
- By Application: Composites, Adhesives, Coatings, Others
- By End Use Industry: Aerospace & Defense, Electrical & Electronics, Automotive, Others
Huntsman, Lonza, Techia Corporation, TenCate, Cytec, Hexcel, Jiangdu Maida Group, Carbon Fibre Technology, Isola Group, Adeka, SGL Carbon, Gurit, Chongqing Guijie Technology, Shanghai Hunsman Material, Taixing Suning Chemical, Hengyu New Material, Natong Chemical, Kangda New Materials, Jiafu Technologh, Tianma Group
- Increasing use of cyanate ester based composites in aerospace industry
- Rapid growth in production of electronics
- Increasing adoption of cyanate esters in structural adhesives
- Favorable properties driving replacement of BMI and polyimides
|Restraints & Challenges:
- High production and processing costs
- Limited availability and supply volatility of raw materials
- Stringent occupational health and safety requirements
Cyanate Ester Resins Market Trends
- Development of novel cyanate ester resin systems: Suppliers are focused on R&D to develop novel cyanate ester formulations with enhanced properties and processing capabilities. For instance, Lonza’s Primaset resin allows curing at 180°C versus traditional cyanate cure over 250°C. Huntsman’s Araldite LY 1568 system provides ultra-low CTE, high Tg and hot/wet performance. Pryamid has developed cyanate esters for 3D printing with low viscosity and high reactivity. The new resin chemistries provide wider applicability and drive adoption across industries.
- Increasing production capacity: Leading manufacturers like Huntsman, Lonza, Techia Corporation are expanding production capacities of cyanate ester resins to meet the rising global demand. In 2021, Jiangdu Maida Group opened a new 15 kilotons per annum cyanate ester facility in China. Huntsman is planning a new 10 kilotons facility in India dedicated to cyanate esters. The capacity expansions by key suppliers will ease supply constraints and enable widespread commercial adoption.
- Growing R&D on recyclability: A key focus area for manufacturers is enhancing recyclability of cyanate ester composites through novel resin chemistry and processing methods. Solvay has developed new Primaset cyanate esters proving up to 50% recyclability without impacting performance. Researchers are also investigating chemical decomposition methods to recover cyanate composite constituents. The R&D efforts are expected to address sustainability concerns and make cyanate esters more viable for high volume applications.
- Advancements in prepreg technology: Cyanate ester prepreg development is focused on faster curing, better drapability and out-life, and improved toughness. Hexcel’s HexMC line offers excellent mechanical properties and handling. Bryte Technologies has developed new prepreg resins and servicing technology for cost-effective aerospace part manufacturing. The technology innovations in prepregs are enabling mass production of high quality cyanate composite components.
Cyanate Ester Resins Market Restraints
- High production and processing costs: Cyanate esters are expensive to manufacture owing to complex synthesis and curing reactions, requiring controlled conditions. The production costs are nearly 25-30% higher than epoxy resins. Cyanate composites also require lengthy cure cycles at above 250°C. The high costs have limited adoption for high volume applications. However, efforts are ongoing to develop low temperature cure resins and streamline manufacturing to reduce costs.
- Limited availability and supply volatility of raw materials: The precursors for cyanate ester production like bisphenol derivatives and cyanogen chloride have limited availability and production is concentrated in China. Prices and supply of raw materials are susceptible to disruptions. In 2021, sourcing issues for bisphenol A led to supply shortages and price spikes for cyanate esters. The volatility in raw material supply chain affects the stable production of cyanate ester resins.
- Stringent occupational health and safety requirements: The handling of cyanate ester resins and composites raise potential health hazards owing to risks of irritation, sensitization and toxicity. Workers require specialized PPE to avoid exposure. Manufacturers need to adhere to strict protocols regarding use of exhaust systems, containment equipment etc. The OHS requirements add to operational costs and complexity. However, suppliers are developing safer low toxicity and low odor resin variants.
New product launches
- In March 2022, Huntsman Corporation launched Araldite LY 1568, a new cyanate ester resin system designed for composites used in aviation and space applications. The ultra-low CTE resin provides superior dimensional stability.
- In January 2021, Lonza launched Primaset PT-30 cyanate ester resin to enable lightweight composites for 5G infrastructure and electric vehicles. It provides excellent dielectric properties and heat resistance.
- In April 2020, Hexcel Corporation introduced HexPly M9.6, a novel prepreg with cyanate ester resin offering a 30% weight reduction versus legacy aerospace prepregs. It enables faster processing and cost savings.
Acquisition and partnerships
- In October 2021, Park Aerospace Corp. acquired Arlon Electronic Materials to complement its cyanate ester resin composite business and create an integrated supplier.
- In December 2020, Toray Advanced Composites announced a partnership with Verdant Composites to develop next-gen cyanate ester prepregs using recycled carbon fiber for commercial aerospace.
- In September 2019, Composite Solutions acquired security products maker Evonik Cyro to expand its cyanate ester and bismaleimide resin capabilities for aerospace and defense sectors.
Figure 2. Global Cyanate Ester Resins Market Share (%), by Application, 2023
Top companies in Cyanate Ester Resins Market
- Techia Corporation
- Jiangdu Maida Group
- Carbon Fibre Technology
- Isola Group
- SGL Carbon
- Chongqing Guijie Technology
- Shanghai Hunsman Material
- Taixing Suning Chemical
- Hengyu New Material
- Natong Chemical
- Kangda New Materials
- Jiafu Technologh
- Tianma Group
Definition: The cyanate ester resins market refers to the industry and market associated with the development, production, and sales of cyanate ester-based resins. Cyanate esters are a class of thermosetting polymers made by the reaction of bisphenol dicyanate and other dicyanate monomers. The resulting cyanate ester resins offer exceptional properties like high glass transition temperature, low dielectric loss, excellent thermal and oxidative stability, and moisture and chemical resistance. Cyanate esters are increasingly replacing traditional materials like epoxies, BMI, and polyimides in composites, structural adhesives, radome coatings, and printed circuit boards due to their superior performance. The major end-use industries for cyanate ester resins include aerospace & defense, electrical & electronics, and automotive.
Few other promising reports in Polymers and Resins Industry
Polymer Matrix Composites Market
Top 15 Petrochemicals Market
Automotive Labels Market