Collagen is a major component of the skin. It plays an important role in strengthening skin, as well as in elasticity and hydration. As people age, the body produces less collagen, leading to dry skin and the formation of wrinkles. Therefore, there is an increasing demand for collagen supplements. Collagen supplements provide a variety of health benefits. Collagen supplements deliver various types of collagen protein when taken daily, in either a powder, gel, capsule, or tablet format. Collagen supplements provide several health benefits with very few known risks. Supplements may increase muscle mass, relieve joint pain, prevent bone loss, and improve skin health by reducing wrinkles and dryness. Research suggests that taking collagen supplements may improve certain aspects of skin health and appearance.
The global collagen supplements market was valued at US$ 2,026.70 Mn in 2021 and is forecast to reach a value of US$ 3,233.14 Mn by 2028 at a CAGR of 7.0% between 2022 and 2028.
North America held dominant position in the global collagen supplements market in 2020, accounting for 38.5% share in terms of volume, followed by Europe and Asia Pacific, respectively.
Figure 1. Global Collagen Supplements Market Share (%), by Region, 2021
In February 2022, Nestlé Health Science acquired Vital Proteins, the market leader in collagen in the U.S. and a leading lifestyle and wellness platform offering supplements, beverages and food products. Nestlé Health Science acquired a majority stake in Vital Proteins in 2020.
In February 2020, Rejuvenated Ltd. unveiled its first compostable packaging, ‘bio-pouch’, for its Collagen Shots, a powdered skin care supplement drink. The packaging is suitable for home composting as the pouch meets the Vinçotte OK Compost’s certification requirements.
Collagen Supplements Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2022:
||US$ 2,158.44 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2017 to 2020
||2022 to 2028
|Forecast Period 2021 to 2028 CAGR:
||2028 Value Projection:
||US$ 3,233.14 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC Countries, Israel, and Rest of Middle East
- Africa: South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa
- By Source: Marine & Poultry, Porcine, and Bovine
- By Form: Pills & Gummies, Powder, and Liquid/Drinks
- By Sales Channel: Pharmacy, Specialty Store, and Online Store
Vital Proteins, The Clorox Company, The Bountiful Company, TCI Co., Ltd., Glanbia Plc, Further Food, Codeage LLC., Shiseido Company Ltd., Biotech USA, and Hunter & Gather Foods Ltd., among others
- Increase in demand for collagen supplements
- Growing geriatric population across the globe
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Restrictions prohibiting the consumption of animal-sourced food/beverages
- Shift of consumers toward vegan diets
- Increase in demand for collagen supplements is expected to propel the growth of the global collagen supplements market over the forecast period. For instance, collagen supplements can help improve skin health. Collagen plays an important role in the structure and function of skin, cartilage, bones, & connective tissue. In November 2020, Life Extension announced the launch of the new Hydrolyzed Collagen Supplement called Collagen Peptides for skin and joints. It is a daily collagen supplement that mixes easily with water or with a favourite nutritious drink. This collagen supplement consists of collagen types I, II, and III.
- Growing geriatric population across the globe is expected to boost the growth of the global collagen supplements market during the forecast period. For instance, as people age, the body produces less collagen, and studies have shown that supplementing with collagen peptides may be beneficial for older people and promote skin and bone health during aging. According to the United Nations, there were 703 million people aged 65 years or over in the world in 2019, and the number of older persons is expected to double to 1.5 billion in 2050. The share of aging population is increase with a rapid pace worldwide.
Figure 2. Global Collagen Supplements Market Share (%), by Region, 2021
- Restrictions prohibiting the consumption of animal-sourced food and beverages is expected to hinder growth of the global collagen supplements market. For instance, some animal rights organizations, such PETA and Animal Equality, encouraging people to reduce animal-sourced food and beverages consumption and look for alternative solutions to nutrition. This in turn is severely affecting the sale of animal-sourced products and supplements.
- Shift of consumers toward vegan diets is expected to hamper growth of the global collagen supplements market. Veganism has become very popular in many countries and is particularly popular in the fitness community. According to the Good Food Institute, sales of plant-based foods grew three times faster than overall food sales in 2021. Thus, with the rise in adoption of veganism, the sales of animal products is declining.
- Increasing awareness among people about the benefits of collagen supplements is expected to offer significant growth opportunities for player in the global collagen supplements market. For instance, in May 2021, Nestlé Health Science opened a flagship store in Tmall to educate consumers in China about the benefits of collagen supplements on skin, joint health, immunity, and sports performance. The two Vital Protein products are available in China, which include Marine Collagen Powder Unflavored and Original Collagen Peptides Powder Unflavored.
- Rising usage/consumption of collagen supplements is expected to provide lucrative growth opportunities for player in the global collagen supplements market. For instance, in November 2021, Ancient Nutrition launched a new line of collagen peptide formulas which are clinically-evidenced to deliver efficacious results in as little as one day. The formulations are made with collagen peptides to support skin, nail, hair, joint, and gut health with maximum absorption.
Market Trends/Key Takeaways:
- Increasing investments in R&D activities is expected to drive growth of the global collagen supplements market. For instance, in May 2022 Pura Collagen announced the launch of new Immune Support System to provide immune support for consumers. The system aims to build the immune system which help consumer to enhance to resist diseases.
- Introduction of novel products by market players is expected to augment growth of the global collagen supplements market. For instance, in November 2021, Cytoplan announced the launch of Type 1 Marine Collagen, a supportive formula designed to aid structure, texture, elasticity, strength, and resilience of the skin and improve overall health of connective tissue in the body.
- BIOTECH USA
- CODEAGE LLC.
- FURTHER FOOD
- GLANBIA PLC
- HUNTER & GATHER FOODS LTD
- SHISEIDO COMPANY, LIMITED
- TCI CO., LTD.
- THE BOUNTIFUL COMPANY
- THE CLOROX COMPANY
- VITAL PROTEINS, LLC
Collagen plays a vital role in the structure and function of skin, cartilage, bones, and connective tissue. The body needs amino acids to build the protein collagen, and supplements may provide these nutrients. Collagen is generally considered to be a safe and non-toxic daily supplement for healthy individuals, and most people won't experience adverse side effects. Several studies have shown that taking collagen supplements may improve skin hydration and elasticity and reduce the appearance of wrinkles. Studies have also shown that supplements can help make bones denser, slow aging process, and help body to produce new bone. Collagen supplements have also been shown to improve skin hydration and elasticity for older people. Thus, there is an increasing demand for collagen supplements.
Increasing incidence of arthritis, inflammatory bone diseases, and other rheumatoid arthritis is expected to propel growth of the global collagen supplements market over the forecast period. For instance, studies have shown that daily collagen supplements can help make bones denser, slowing the aging process that makes them brittle and helping the body to produce new bone. Collagen has numerous beneficial effects to help maintain bone health and restore bone mineral density, preserve bone health, and contribute to improved quality of life as people age.
In August 2021, Stryve Foods, Inc. announced the launch of its new Stryve Nutrition products, such as Collagen Protein Powder and Bone Broth Protein Powder. All Collagen and Bone Broth products are non-GMO, all-natural, gluten-free, soy-free, and dairy-free. Moreover, in January 2019, Abbott launched Aletam, a collagen supplement that helps joint performance.
Key features of the study:
- This report provides in-depth analysis of the global collagen supplements market, and provides market size (US$ Million) and compound annual growth rate (CAGR %) for the forecast period (2022–2028), considering 2021 as the base year.
- It elucidates potential revenue opportunities across different segments and explains attractive investment proposition matrices for this market.
- This study also provides key insights about market drivers, restraints, opportunities, new product launches or approval, market trends, regional outlook, and competitive strategies adopted by key players.
- It profiles key players in the global collagen supplements market based on the following parameters such as company highlights, products portfolio, key highlights, financial performance, and strategies.
- Key companies covered as a part of this study include Vital Proteins, Clorox Company, The Bountiful Company, TCI Co., Ltd., Glanbia Plc, Further Food, Shiseido Company Ltd., Biotech USA, Codeage LLC., and Hunter & Gather Foods Ltd., among others.
- Insights from this report would allow marketers and the management authorities of the companies to make informed decisions regarding their future product launches, type up-gradation, market expansion, and marketing tactics.
- The global collagen supplements market report caters to various stakeholders in this industry including investors, suppliers, product manufacturers, distributors, new entrants, and financial analysts.
- Stakeholders would have ease in decision-making through various strategy matrices used in analyzing the global collagen supplements market.
- Global Collagen Supplements Market, By Source:
- Marine & Poultry
- Global Collagen Supplements Market, By Form:
- Pills & Gummies
- Global Collagen Supplements Market, By Sales Channel:
- Specialty Store
- Online Store
- Global Collagen Supplements Market, By Region:
- North America