Dextrin is a group of low-molecular-weight carbohydrates, which is produced by either starch or glycerol. Dextrin is a powdered form of compound, which can be white, yellow, or brown in color. Yellow dextrin is soluble in water. Dextrin is used for adding crispness in food industry, and as a thickener and binding agent in pharmaceutical and paper industry.
Dextrin can be used as a fat substitute in a variety of food products like bakery products, dairy products, chocolates, protein shakes, etc. Due to increasing awareness related to health and fitness, the demand for global dextrin market will boost during the forecast period. Moreover, availability of dextrin in powdered form, helps in easy transporting, handling, and storing.
However, consumption of synthetic dextrin leads to illnesses such as diarrhea and gas, which might hamper growth of the global dextrin market during the forecast period. According to the World Health Organization, globally there are 1.7 billion cases of childhood diarrheal disease every year and around 525,000 children below the age of 5 are killed due to the disease.
- Dextrin helps in balancing the cholesterol level, maintaining the blood sugar, and acts as an alternative for fats in food. Pharmaceutical and food industry is expected to use dextrin as an ingredient in its production process, owing to medicinal benefits of dextrin.
- North America is expected to have the maximum market share during the forecast period, owing to large number of obese population and rising expenditure in the healthcare domain. For instance, according to the World Bank record, in 2016, the U.S. had 71% of obese population and in 2017, their health spending was about US$ 10,209.4 per capita.
- Key players operating in the global dextrin market include Cargill, Lyckeby, SÜDSTÄRKE GMBH, Sanstar Bio - Polymers Ltd., Visco Starch, True Protein Pty Ltd, and others.
- Key players are adopting in-organic growth strategies such as new product launches, product development in order to gain market share in the market.
- For instance, in 2015, Kirin a beverage manufacturer launched alcohol-free beer with dextrin that helps with fat absorption in Japan. The company offering indigestible form of the carbohydrate dextrin which slows the body’s absorption of sugar and fat. New Perfect Free contains zero sugar and is calorie-free.
- In 2015, Earthinks launched New Gravure Inks in the market. The new gravure inks are water-based and made from up to 100% natural ingredients including soy, starch, sugars, dextrin, tree resin, cellulose and other polysaccharides. The new coatings range can be used with flexo, screen and gravure inks as well as roller coat applications.
- In 2017, Grain Processing Corporation launched new tapioca-based MALTRIN maltodextrin and syrup solids product line in the market. With this new product company wants to strengthen its position in the global dextrin market.
On the basis of product type, the global dextrin market is segmented into:
- Beta & Alpha limit
On the basis of application, the global dextrin market is segmented into:
On the basis of region, the global dextrin market is segmented into:
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East
Rest of Middle East
- Northern Africa
- Central Africa
- South Africa