Impact Analysis of Covid-19
The complete version of the Report will include the impact of the COVID-19, and anticipated change on the future outlook of the industry, by taking into the account the political, economic, social, and technological parameters.
Huber Needles Market – Insights
Huber needles are used for repetitive access to veins for blood withdrawal and infusion of medication, blood products, and nutritional solutions in conjunction with a port implanted in a chronically ill patient body. These needles are designed to pierce the port without dislodging it. Huber needles are widely used in hospitals, oncology centers, clinics and ambulatory surgical centers. These needles are specifically used for medication and nutrition infusion, blood withdrawal, and imaging solution infusion.
The global Huber needles market is estimated to account for US$ 66.1 Mn in terms of value and 51,270,030 Units in terms of volume by the end of 2027.
Global Huber Needles Market: Drivers
Increasing prevalence cancer is expected to boost growth of the global Huber needles market over the forecast period. For instance, according to the World Health Organization, around 18.1 million new cases and 9.6 million deaths were registered due to cancer worldwide in 2018.
Moreover, favorable reimbursement scenario for vascular access needles is also expected to aid in growth of the market. According to the Center of Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), reimbursement for chemotherapy administration procedures includes payment for supplies such as Huber needles, IV setup, butterfly set, gauze, syringes, and catheters. Items such as syringes and needles (including huber needles) are often reimbursed by commercial players.
North America region held dominant position in the global Huber needles market in 2019, accounting for 42.1% share in terms of value, followed by Europe.
Figure 1. Global Huber Needles Market Share (%), by Region, 2019
Global Huber Needles Market: Restraints
Risk of infection associated with Huber needles is expected to hamper growth of the market. During the use of Huber needles, the caregiver repetitively needs to access the implanted port and pierce a silicon septum with non-corning Huber needle. The Huber needles pose high risk of needle stick injuries during the removal of needle.
IV Cancer Application segment in the global Huber needles market was valued at US$ 16.8 Mn in 2019 and is expected to reach US$ 29.4 Mn by 2027 at a CAGR of 7.2% during the forecast period.
Market Trends/Key Takeaways
Increasing focus on reducing needle stick injuries has led companies to develop and introduce various needles with enhanced safety features in the market. Products with advanced features such as self-retracting needles and needles with safety locking are gaining traction among healthcare professionals and patients.
Moreover, high prevalence of HIV and blood-borne diseases has also led manufacturers to develop safe needles. For instance, according to Joint United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS, 37.9 million people globally were living with HIV at the end of 2018.
Increasing prevalence of end-stage renal disease is expected to boost growth of the global Huber needles market. For instance, according to November 2019 data of National Center for Biotechnology Information, the prevalence of end-stage renal disease is rising at a stable number of about 20,000 cases per year.
Major players in the market are focused on adopting various marketing strategies to expand their customer base. For instance, in February 2020, Baxter International Inc. presented at the 9th Annual SVB Leerink Global Healthcare Conference in New York, N.Y.
- The U.S. FDA authorizes the use of Huber needles for long term medication infusion and blood withdrawal
- Huber needles are type of safety vascular access needles that fall under class II with special controls. However, companies need a premarket approval before commercializing the device.
- FDA mandates performance tests for stiffness, bending breakage, corrosive resistance and elasticity of Huber needles
- Huber needle manufacturers are expected to submit performance tests in investigational device exemption applications (IDEs) and premarket approval applications (PMAs) to support the safety and effectiveness of Huber needles. These devices require a premarket approval (PMA) application before marketing and commercialization.
- According to FDA, the basic structure of Huber needle contains needle, needle cap and needle hub. These needles are either straight type available in gauges 19, 20, and 22, and length 1’’ to 1-1/2’’ or bent 90 degree angle available in gauges 19, 20, and 22, and length 1’’ to 1-1/2’’
- FDA has set few standard guideline in order to meet the safety requirement. These devices falls under the category of class II devices (Special Controls) or Class III (PMA).
Value Chain Analysis -
Global Huber Needles Market: Competitive Landscape
Major players operating in the global Huber Needles market include, Baxter International Inc., B. Braun Medical Inc., Smiths Medical, NIPRO Medical Corporation, AngioDynamics, Inc., and C. R. Bard, Inc.
Global Huber Needles Market: Key Developments
Major players in the market are focused on adopting M&A strategies to expand their product portfolio. For instance, in February 2019, B. Braun Medical Inc. acquired Medisystems Streamline Bloodlines business that includes the Streamline Bloodline for the Dialog+ hemodialysis system, Streamline Bloodline for the Fresenius Medical Care hemodialysis system, and Streamline Bloodline Long for the Fresenius Medical Care hemodialysis system.