Medical packaging has the primary function to protect packaged medical or pharmaceutical products. Different types of medical components have resulted in developing various types of medical packaging, ranging from preformed packaging to customizable packaging. Medical products have unique features and majority of them require proper sterilization and are therefore, designed ergonomically to fulfill the high medical standards and protect the product integrity.
One of the major factor contributing to the growth of medical packaging market includes increasing number of hospitals and diagnostic centers and the growing healthcare industry. According to the Centre Of Medicare & Medicaid Services, in 2015, National Health Expenditure (NHE) grew to 5.8% to US$ 3.2 trillion or US$ 9,990 per person, playing a key role in the growth of healthcare industry. The gain in momentum of the plastic packaging industry, with focus on cost-effectiveness, is also playing a key role in growth of medical packaging market. According to Coherent Market Insights (CMI), the global plastic packaging market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 5.3% in terms of revenue and 5.1% in terms of volume during 2017-2025.
However, price fluctuations of raw materials such as resin and oil act as a major restraint for the medical packaging market. Shortage of packaging materials supply also affects the growth of the medical packaging market.
Medical Packaging Market Taxonomy:
On the basis of material, medical packaging market is segmented into:
- Paper & Paperboard
- Non-woven fabric
On the basis of packaging types, medical packaging market is segmented into:
- Clamshell packs
On the basis of packing types, medical packaging market is segmented into:
- Shrink Packing
On the basis of application, medical packaging market is segmented into:
- Medical Devices
- Medical Equipment & Tools
- In Vitro Diagnostic Devices (IVDs)
Medical Packaging Market Outlook:
- North America is leading the global medical packaging market. The U.S was leading market in this region in 2016. The increasing health awareness along with the growing healthcare industry is a major driving factor for the growth of medical packaging market in the region. North America is expected to lead the medical packaging market throughout the forecast period, owing to continuous product innovation and focus on extensive research and development activities namely child-resistant packs and pre-filled syringes. According to a report of Coherent Market Insights (CMI), in North America, the pharmaceutical equipment packaging industry accounted for around 40% of the market in 2016 and expected to retain its position through the forecast period.
- Asia Pacific is the fastest growing region in medical packaging market with China, Japan, and India being the key markets in the region. The medical device market for APAC is expected to witness the fastest CAGR growth during the forecast period, which is expected to propel the growth of medical packaging market. In terms of packaging by material, Polymer held the major share in the medical device market in this region in 2016.
Key players in the Medical Packaging Market:
Some of the major players operating the global medical packaging market include E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company (U.S), Riverside Medical Packaging Company Ltd. (U.K.), Constantia Flexibles Group GmbH (Austria), Avery Dennison Corporation (U.S.), Amcor Limited (Australia), Placon Corporation (U.S.), 3M Company (U.S.), Wipak Group (Germany), West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc. (U.S.), Bemis Company (U.S.), and SteriPack Ltd. (Ireland).
Medical Packaging Market Key Developments:
- In September 2017, DuPont de Nemours, Inc. launched new DuPont Tyvek 40L medical packaging in China. Tyvek, is aimed at providing a cost-effective solution for protection of lightweight and low-risk class I and IIa medical devices.
- In February 2018, Constantia Flexibles Group GmbH (a manufacturer of packaging products including medical packaging products), announced to build a new packaging plant in Gujarat, India which is expected to complete in the year 2019. Constantia’s new plant is expected to expand company’s production capacity of various packaging products.
- In October 2018, Borealis AG (manufacturers of polymer products), announced expansion of their products portfolio by introducing new plastomer ‘Bormed PL8830-PH’. This plastomer is an ethylene-based, octene-1 plastomer and is designed to achieve very high packaging integrity even at low temperatures.
- In November 2018, Rose plastic medical packaging GmbH launched new “TubeInTube” packaging solution for implants. This innovative packaging have a double sterile barrier that saves space and offers safety and easy handling of implants in the hospital. This packaging is a “tube within the tube” design which guarantees sterile as well as ‘touch-less’ handling of the implant.