Impact Analysis of Covid-19
The complete version of the Report will include the impact of the COVID-19, and anticipated change on the future outlook of the industry, by taking into the account the political, economic, social, and technological parameters.
Micro-electromechanical system or MEMS microphones are constructed with a MEMS component placed on a printed circuit board (PCB) and protected with a mechanical cover. A tiny hole is introduced in the case, in order to allow sound into the microphone. Generally, the MEMS component is designed with a mechanical diaphragm, while the mounting structure is created on a semiconductor die. MEMS microphones are typically used for wireless applications such as audio monitoring, sound source localization WSNs, audio monitoring WSNs, and more. Generally, these applications require miniature size, low power, and relatively high data quality.
The global MEMS Microphone Market was accounted for US$ 1544.6 Mn in terms of value in 2019 and is expected to grow at CAGR of 14.4% for the period 2020-2027.
Market Dynamics- Drivers
- Increasing adoption of next-generation consumer electronics is expected to drive growth of the global MEMS microphone market during the forecast period
Consumer electronic products such as smartphones, smart TVs, laptops, tablets, and notepads have witnessed significant demand in the recent past, which in turn, has support growth of the consumer electronics sector in both developed and emerging economies. Next-generation consumer electronics such as wearables and smartwatches are gaining major traction among consumers. According to the India Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF), the Indian appliance and consumer electronics (ACE) market reached US$ 10.93 billion in 2019 and is expected to reach US$ 21.18 billion by 2025. MEMS plays a crucial role in the above-mentioned electronics products since they are highly compact and require low power. Thus, these factors are expected to drive growth of the global MEMS microphone market during the forecast period.
- Rising application of MEMS in automobile and hearing aid devices is expected to propel the global MEMS microphone market growth over the forecast period
Although MEMS microphones are typically used in consumer electronics, they are finding applications other sectors including automotive and hearing aid devices. The primary function of hearing aid devices is to detect sound and amplify it for the user. This action requires a microphone, where MEMS are now being used predominantly. MEMS microphones offer higher reliability and robust design with low vulnerability to particle ingress. As a result of this, they are increasingly replacing conventional electret condenser microphones. Furthermore, in the automotive sector, MEMS microphones are used in audio sensors and are placed inside and outside the car cabin. Thus, these factors are expected to drive growth of the global MEMS microphone market growth over the forecast period.
Asia Pacific held dominant position in the global MEMS Microphone market in 2019, accounting for 34.7% share in terms of value, followed by North America and Europe.
Figure 1: Global MEMS Microphone Market Share (%) in terms of Value, By Region, 2019
MEMS Microphone Market - Impact of Coronavirus (Covid-19) Pandemic
COVID-19 Pandemic have negatively affected the economies of various countries around the globe. According to the International Monetary fund Analysis, the global economy is expected to shrink down by 3% percent in the year 2020 compared to year 2019. These economic slowdown expected to reduce the spending power of consumers across the globe. People are less likely to spend on the consumer electronics products. The MEMS microphones are majorly used in the mobile phones and other consumer electronics products.
Market Dynamics- Restrain
- Challenges associated with packaging and integration are expected to restrain growth of the global MEMS microphone market during the forecast period
Since MEMS microphones are extremely small in size, they face a prevalent difficulty in packaging. Untidy packaging can damage these microphones and thus, a special packaging method is required. Many vendors are developing novel methods of packaging so it will keep MEMS microphones in pristine condition. Thus, these factors are expected to restrain growth of the global MEMS microphone market growth over the forecast period.
- Inability to transfer high power is expected to hinder the global MEMS microphone market growth over the forecast period
MEMS microphones are significantly small in size, which makes it impossible to transfer high power through. As a result of this, preamplifier or op-amp components are required externally to amplify the signal. Besides, micro-components are more expensive than macro-components, increasing the price of the final product. Therefore, manufacturers are required to make mass production, in order to make it beneficial. Hence, these factors are expected to hinder the global MEMS microphone market growth over the forecast period.
MEMS Microphone Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2019:
||USD 1544.6 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2017 to 2019
||2020 to 2027
|Forecast Period 2020 to 2027 CAGR:
||2027 Value Projection:
||USD 4,531.2 Mn
- North America: U.S., Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East and Africa: South Africa, North Africa, Central Africa
- By Type: Digital and Analog
- By Technology: Capacitive and Piezoelectric
- By SNR: Very high (>=64dB), High (>=60 dB, < 64 dB) and Low (<= 59 dB)
- By Application: Consumer Electronics (Mobile Phones, Others), IoT & VR, Hearing Aids and Others
Vesper Technologies Inc., Knowles LLC, Goertek, InvenSense, Inc., AAC Technologies, Cirrus Logic, Inc., STMicroelectronics, Infineon Technologies AG, and CUI, Inc.
- Increasing adoption of next-generation consumer electronics
- Rising application of MEMS in automobile and hearing aid devices
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Challenges associated with packaging and integration
- Advent of IoT and VR-enabled smart devices can present lucrative growth opportunities in the global MEMS microphone market
Internet of Things (IoT) and virtual reality (VR) are two of the most advanced technologies available in the market. IoT-enabled devices such as smart cameras, smart speakers, smart bell cameras, and smart headsets use MEMS microphones since they are compact and consume very low power. It provides enhanced noise-cancellation, which is a vital feature of the above mentioned smart devices. Furthermore, MEMS microphones are being used in VoIP, speech recognition, gaming, and virtual reality input devices. Key companies in the market can capitalize on these opportunities by providing novel products and gain a competitive edge in the market.
- Rising deployment of MEMS microphones in industrial applications can provide major business opportunities in the global MEMS microphone market
MEMS microphones are being increasingly used in the industry since they are compact, lightweight, and consume low power. These microphones are used in a variety of small products in the industry such as surveillance cameras and speakers.
Figure 2: Global MEMS Microphone Market Value (US$ Mn), 2017 - 2027
The global MEMS Microphone market was valued at US$ 1544.6 Mn in 2019 and is forecast to reach a value of US$ 4,531.2 Mn by 2027 at a CAGR of 14.4% between 2020 and 2027.
- Rapid growth of consumer electronics
Consumer electronics is a major end-use sector for MEMS microphones. Recently, many consumer electronic products such as laptops, smartphones, smart speakers, smart TVs, and PC accessories are using MEMS microphones since they provide excellent noise cancellation features and they are highly compact. Furthermore, low power consumption and small size of MEMS microphones have enabled them to make voice calls or voice commands sophisticatedly.
- Research and development activities
Major companies are focused on research and development activities, in order to enhance the product portfolio and expand the market presence. For instance, in August 2019, Vesper Technologies introduced a piezoelectric digital microphone VM3000, particularly for IoT devices.
Key players operating in the global MEMS microphone market are Vesper Technologies Inc., Knowles LLC, Goertek, InvenSense, Inc., AAC Technologies, Cirrus Logic, Inc., STMicroelectronics, Infineon Technologies AG, and CUI, Inc.
- Major companies are focused on product launches, in order to enhance the product portfolio. For instance, in May 2019, Vesper Technologies Inc. launched its ZeroPower Listening (ZPL) piezoelectric MEMS microphones.
- Key companies are involved in mergers and acquisitions, in order to gain a competitive edge in the market. For instance, in December 2019, Knowles LLC, a provider of advanced micro-acoustic solutions, acquired as AG’s MEMS microphone ASIC design business