Pressure ulcers (pressure sores and/or bedsores) are injuries to the skin and underlying tissue, mostly caused by prolonged pressure on the skin. They can happen to anyone, but commonly affect individuals confined to a bed or sitting in a chair or wheelchair for long periods of time. Pressure ulcers treatment include using special mattresses to reduce/relieve pressure, regularly changing a position, and dressings to help heal the ulcer. Sometimes, surgery may be needed. It is recommended to clean open sores with water or saline (saltwater) every time the dressing is changed. Moreover, a bandage speeds healing by keeping the wound moist. It also creates a barrier against infection and keeps the skin around it dry. Most sores heal with pressure ulcers treatment, but some never heal completely.
The global pressure ulcers treatment market was valued at US$ 4,653.0 Mn in 2021 and is forecast to reach a value of US$ 7,108.0 Mn by 2028 at a CAGR of 6.2% between 2022 and 2028.
North America held dominant position in the global pressure ulcers treatment market in 2020, accounting for 39.4% share in terms of volume, followed by Europe and Asia Pacific, respectively.
Figure 1. Global Pressure Ulcers Treatment Market Share (%), by Region, 2021
In September 2020, Integra LifeSciences Holdings Corp. entered into a definitive agreement to sell its Extremity Orthopedics business to Smith+Nephew.
In March 2020, Smith+Nephew launched the PICO 14 Single Use Negative Pressure Wound Therapy System for use on high-risk surgical patients.
In February 2020, Integra LifeSciences Holding Corporation launched the AmnioExcel Plus Placental Allograft Membrane, its latest wound care offering to support soft tissue repair.
Pressure Ulcers Treatment Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2021:
||US$ 4,653.0 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2017 to 2020
||2022 to 2028
|Forecast Period 2022 to 2028 CAGR:
||2028 Value Projection:
||US$ 7,108.0 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC Countries, Israel, and Rest of Middle East
- Africa: South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa
- By Product Type: Wound Care Dressings, Active Wound Care Therapies, and Wound Care Devices
Smith & Nephew PLC, Coloplast Group, ConvaTec Group PLC, B. Braun Melsungen AG, 3M Company, Essity Aktiebolag, Cardinal Health Inc., Cardinal Health Inc., Molnlycke Health Care AB, Hill-Rom Holdings Inc., and Integra Lifesciences Holdings Corporation, among others
- Increasing incidence of pressure ulcer
- Rising geriatric population
|Restraints & Challenges:
- High cost of advanced wound care products
- Lack of awareness about pressure ulcers
- Increasing incidence of pressure ulcer is expected to augment growth of the global pressure ulcers treatment market during the forecast period. For instance, according to the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services), each year, over 2.5 million people in the United States develop pressure ulcers. The aim of pressure ulcers treatment is to assist hospital staff in implementing effective pressure ulcer prevention practices through an interdisciplinary approach to care.
- Rising geriatric population across the globe is expected to boost growth of the global pressure ulcers treatment market over the forecast period. For instance, the geriatric population is more prone to the development of pressure ulcers that are also known as bedsores. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the number and proportion of people aged 60 years and older in the population is increasing. In 2019, the number of people aged 60 years and older was 1 billion, and is expected to reach 1.4 billion by 2030 and 2.1 billion by 2050.
Figure 2. Global Pressure Ulcers Treatment Market Share (%), by Product Type, 2021
- High cost of advanced wound care products is expected to hamper the growth of the global pressure ulcers treatment market. For instance, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, pressure ulcers cost US$ 9.1-11.6 billion per year in the United States. Cost of patient care ranges from US$ 20,900 to 151,700 per pressure ulcer. People (especially those who live in villages) cannot even afford the cheapest treatment. These alarming expenses are contributing to the rising demand for bedsore management equipment.
- Lack of awareness about pressure ulcers is expected to hinder growth of the global pressure ulcers treatment market. For instance, the development of pressure ulcers can interfere with the patient's functional recovery, may be complicated by pain and infection, and can contribute to longer hospital stays. Since these ulcers can be prevented with proper treatment/management, there is a need for awareness campaigns to raise awareness.
- Increasing demand for faster recovery of wounds is expected to provide significant growth opportunities for players in the global pressure ulcers treatment market. For instance, in March 2021, Smith+Nephew announce the results of a real-world study from Spain that showed how a switch to ALLEVYN LIFE Foam Dressings helped to significantly reduce dressing change frequency and weekly dressing costs, while improving treatment satisfaction for clinicians and patients in a community setting.
- Increase in awareness among people or favorable government initiatives is expected to offer lucrative growth opportunities for players in the global pressure ulcers treatment market. For instance, as these ulcers can be prevented with proper management, many campaigns have been launched to raise public awareness. Zero Pressure, Stop the Pressure, and Islandwide Pressure Ulcer Prevention Campaign are some of the campaigns initiated by the U.K. government.
Market Trends/Key Takeaways:
- Increasing prevalence of chronic diseases worldwide is expected to people the growth of the global pressure ulcers treatment market. Diabetes increases the risk of pressure ulcers because of its association with nerve damage (neuropathy) and poor circulation. Thus, with the increase in prevalence of diabetes, the incidence of pressure ulcers is also increasing. According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, the prevalence of diabetes (type 1 and 2) will increase by 54% to more than 54.9 million Americans between 2015 and 2030.
- Increasing demand for safe and effective treatment is expected to drive growth of the global pressure ulcers treatment market. For instance, in February 2021, Axis Biosolutions received European CE mark approval for the advanced wound care product, MAxiCel, which is used in several chronic wounds, including pressure ulcers.
- Smith & Nephew PLC
- Integra Lifesciences Holdings Corporation
- Hill-Rom Holdings Inc.
- Molnlycke Health Care AB
- Cardinal Health Inc.
- Essity Aktiebolag
- 3M Company
- Braun Melsungen AG
- ConvaTec Group PLC
- Coloplast Group
Pressure ulcers (pressure sores and/or bedsores) are injuries to the skin and underlying tissue, mostly caused by prolonged pressure on the skin. Pressure ulcers are a type of injury that breaks down the skin and underlying tissue. The areas that are particularly prone to pressure sores are those that cover the bony areas such as occiput, trochanters, sacrum, malleoli and heel. They can happen to anyone, but commonly affect individuals confined to a bed or sitting in a chair or wheelchair for long periods of time. The treatment of ulcers is planned with an aim to reverse the factors that have originally caused the ulcer. Pressure ulcers treatment include using special mattresses to reduce/relieve pressure, regularly changing a position, and dressings to help heal the ulcer. Sometimes, surgery may be needed. Bedsores can develop over hours or days. Most sores heal with treatment, but some never heal completely.
Increasing demand for safe and effective pressure ulcers treatment due to increasing prevalence of pressure ulcers, increasing prevalence of chronic disease, and growing geriatric population across the globe is expected to aid in the growth of the global pressure ulcers treatment market over the forecast period. For instance, in November 2021, Sanara MedTech Inc. announced the commercial launch of two new innovative extracellular matrix products (FORTIFY TRGTM Tissue Repair Graft & FORTIFY FLOWABLETM Extracellular Matrix) in partnership with Cook Biotech Inc.
Moreover, in January 2020, ConvaTec Group Plc launched ConvaMax which is the new super absorber wound dressing widely used in the management of highly exuding wounds, including leg ulcers, pressure ulcers, diabetic foot ulcers, and dehisced surgical wounds.
Key features of the study:
- This report provides in-depth analysis of the global pressure ulcers treatment market, and provides market size (US$ Million) and compound annual growth rate (CAGR %) for the forecast period (2022–2028), considering 2021 as the base year.
- It elucidates potential revenue opportunities across different segments and explains attractive investment proposition matrices for this market.
- This study also provides key insights about market drivers, restraints, opportunities, new product launches or approval, market trends, regional outlook, and competitive strategies adopted by key players.
- It profiles key players in the global pressure ulcers treatment market based on the following parameters such as company highlights, products portfolio, key highlights, financial performance, and strategies.
- Key companies covered as a part of this study include Smith & Nephew PLC, Coloplast Group, ConvaTec Group PLC, B. Braun Melsungen, 3M Company, Essity Aktiebolag, Cardinal Health Inc., Cardinal Health Inc., Molnlycke Health Care, Hill-Rom Holdings Inc., and Integra Lifesciences Holdings Corporation, among others.
- Insights from this report would allow marketers and the management authorities of the companies to make informed decisions regarding their future product launches, type up-gradation, market expansion, and marketing tactics.
- The global pressure ulcers treatment market report caters to various stakeholders in this industry including investors, suppliers, product manufacturers, distributors, new entrants, and financial analysts.
- Stakeholders would have ease in decision-making through various strategy matrices used in analyzing the global pressure ulcers treatment market.
- Global Pressure Ulcers Treatment Market, By Product Type:
- Wound Care Dressings
- Active Wound Care Therapies
- Wound Care Devices
- Global Pressure Ulcers Treatment Market, By Geography:
- North America
- South America
- Middle East & Africa