Incontinence is referred as the condition where body is unable to control defecation or urination. Urinary incontinence is common problem in women than in men. Childbirth, pelvic surgery, menopause, and pregnancy are some of the major risk factors. According to National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, around 7 to 37% report some degree of urinary incontinence among women between the age group of 20 years to 39 years. Fecal incontinence results in local reactions of urinary tract and perianal skin. Incontinence also causes skin problem to individuals such as redness, pressure ulcers, soreness, rashes and urinary tract infections. Excessive physical, chemical, and moisture irritants contribute to skin softening and eventually break down of the skin health.
Incontinence skin care products can help limit this disease to treat people suffering from incontinence. Increasing aging population and high prevalence of obesity are the major factors responsible for growth of the global incontinence skin care products market. According to World Health Organization (WHO), the global population is anticipated to double from 900 million in 2015 to 2 billion in 2050 over 60 years. However, side effects such as skin irritation caused due to presence of allergens such as lanolin and perfumes can restrict the use of incontinence skin care products.
Global Incontinence Skin Care Products Market Taxonomy:
Global incontinence skin care products market is segmented into:
By Product Type:
- Barrier Cream
- Repair Cream
- Body Wash & Shampoo
By Distribution Channel:
- Specialty stores
- Online Stores
Among product type, wipes segment witnessed significant market share in 2016, as it is considered to be a convenient way to protect and sanitize skin from excess moisture or dryness. Moreover, owing to its cost effective nature, it is one of the most widely used product amongst the incontinence skin care products. Several market players are focused on developing new products to expand their product portfolio. For instance, in 2017, ConvaTec Group Plc., a medical technology company, launched ‘Sensi-Care’ skin protectant incontinence wipes for customers whose skin is at risk of breakdown due to incontinence.
Global Incontinence Skin Care Products Market Outlook:
- North America is the leading incontinence skin care products market, owing to increasing awareness regarding side effects of obesity, which is responsible for growth of this market in North America. According to studies by Canadian Continence Foundation in 2014, around 3.5% of Canadian men and 7% of the Canadian women experience incontinence on a daily basis. Moreover, according to Urology Care Foundation, urinary incontinence affects a third quarter of the U.S. population. All these factors are expected to contribute to the growth of the market in this region.
- Asia Pacific is projected to be the fastest growing market in incontinence skin care products. The region boasts of the highest population and also has rapidly increasing geriatric population, which are the major factors fueling growth of the market. According to United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP), the number of geriatric people is anticipated to double to 1.3 billion by 2050 from 547 million in 2016 in this region.
- Europe has witnessed a significant growth in the global incontinence skin care products market in 2016, owing to increasing number of aging population especially in Western Europe. In Europe, Germany and UK stands as the leading market for incontinence skin care products. Barrier creams remain one of the widely used skin care product in this region. Furthermore, major players are focused on developing new products to meet the growing demand for incontinence skin care products. For instance, in September 2017, Abena Group launched Incontinence Wet Wash Gloves with 3% Dimethicone and Zinc Oxide Spray-on which are specially designed for patients suffering from Incontinence-Associated Dermatitis (IAD).
Key players in Global Incontinence Skin Care Products Market:
Major players operating in the incontinence skincare products market includes Abena Group, Svenska Cellulosa AB, Attends Ltd, ConvaTec Group Plc., Coloplast A/S, Emilia Personal Care, Medline Industries Inc., and Coloplast.
- Year 2018: Acquisitions/Mergers/Takeovers; In September, Unicharm agreed to acquire 100% stake in DSG (Cayman), a manufacturer of sanitary products in South East Asia.
- Year 2017: New Products/Services; In March, Svenska Cellulosa AB expanded its Lotus brand by adding baby wipes and diapers to its portfolio.
- Year 2017: Corporate Changes/Expansions; In February, Svenska Cellulosa AB announced to invest US$105 Million in to strengthen its baby diaper business in Europe.