Oral care is the practice of keeping the mouth clean in order to prevent various mouth related diseases. Tooth decay is the most common type of disorder in which cavities and dental caries are formed. Gum diseases includes periodontitis and gingivitis and various others. Cleaning the teeth at regular intervals results in lower chances of tartar and dental plaques being stored in between the gums, thus reducing the incidences of several gum related diseases. According to Coherent Market Insights, at least one third of adult tooth loss has been caused by severe gum diseases.
Increasing awareness regarding oral diseases through various programs conducted for oral hygiene and dental care is one of the major factor driving growth of the oral care market. Furthermore, susceptibility to tooth decay and oral diseases increasing with age. According to United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, the growth rate of the geriatric population is higher as compared to the other age groups, which is another factor driving growth of the oral care products market. Furthermore, increasing consumption of processed food with high sugar content has increased the chances of mouth related diseases. For instance, chewing on sugary candies such as caramels, lollipops, hard candies and jelly beans makes it difficult for the saliva to wash it away and it remains stuck between the teeth, resulting in complications in the later stage. Moreover, consumption of carbonated beverages is another major reason for tooth decay, since they contain a high amount of sugar. Diet and regular soda with high amount of carbonation and phosphorous results in the loss of tooth enamel. The market for carbonated beverages is expected to cross the US$ 400 billion market by the end of 2022, which in turn is driving growth of the oral care market.
Global Oral Care Market Taxonomy:
On the basis of product type, the global oral care market is segmented into:
- Toothbrushes and Accessories
- Electric Toothbrush
- Conventional Toothbrush
- Replacement Toothbrush Heads
- Dental Accessories
- Cosmetic Dental Whitening Products
- Dental Water Jets
- Breath Fresheners
- Tongue Scrappers
- Fresh Breath Strips
- Dental Flosses
- Medicated Mouthwashes
- Non-medicated Mouthwashes
On the basis of distribution channels, the global oral care market is segmented into:
- Convenience Stores
- Online Stores
Based on product types, toothpastes accounted for the major market share in 2017 and is expected to retain market dominance throughout the forecast period. High adoption rate for toothpastes coupled with new product launches are major factors responsible for growth of the segment. In 2017, Dabur India Ltd launched an ayurvedic toothpaste in gel form. Furthermore, in the same year, Colgate-Palmolive Ltd launched a new toothpaste containing a blend of natural ingredients such as aloe-vera, honey, clove and other ingredients to cater to a broad range of gum and teeth problems, this in turn is fueling growth of the market.
Global Oral Care Market Outlook:
- Asia Pacific dominated the oral care products market in 2017 and is expected to retain its dominance throughout the forecast period as well. High population is one of the major factors resulting in the high sale of oral care products. Furthermore, rising government initiative regarding proper dental hygiene is another factor supporting the growth of the oral care market in the region. India is a highly lucrative market for oral care products on account of rising population base and increasing demand for quality products. The oral care market in India has witnessed significant disruption on account of the success of Patanjali Ayurved Ltd., and Indian FMCG Company. Patanjali’s USP of cheap ayurvedic products has resulted in the rivals such as Colgate-Palmolive and Dabur India Ltd. now venturing into the ayurvedic oral care segment, which in turn has resulted the herbal-based products accounting for a share of more than 20% in the oral care market.
- Europe is highly lucrative market for oral care products. Rising geriatric population is a major factor propelling demand for the oral care products in this region. According to the United Nations Department of Economics and Social Affairs, more than 170 million residents fell in the age bracket of 60 years and above in the year 2015. Furthermore, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), in 2015, more than 50% of the children aged 6 and above were reported to be suffering from dental caries and a significant number of the population reported to have suffered from periodontal gum diseases as well. These factors are highly responsible for the growth of the oral care market in Europe.
Key players in the Global Oral Care Market:
Major key players operating in the global oral care products market include Unilever Plc, Koninklijke Philips N.V., LG Household & Health Care Ltd., Church & Dwight Co., Inc., GC Corporation, Glaxosmithkline plc, Kao Corporation , Johnson & Johnson, Ivoclar Vivadent AG, The Procter & Gamble Company , Dr. Fresh LLC. , Colgate-Palmolive Company, and 3M Company.
- April 2019; Contract/Agreement: Unilever signed an agreement to purchase Procter & Gamble brands; Parogencyl and Fluocaril which will enable Unilever to be the leader in oral care market in Spain and France
- February 2019; Product Launch/Service: The Procter & Gamble Company, United States glorified its product portfolio by launching new product in Oral Care segment under the name Oral-B GENIUS X electric toothbrush.
- January 2019; Merger/Acquisition: GSK Consumer Healthcare Limited, India and Hindustan Unilever Limited, India arrived into a merger agreement which is expected to complete in six-nine months after pending clearances from various authorities.
- September 2017; Product Launch/Service: Colgate-Palmolive Company, United States launched Colgate Swarna Vedshakti Toothpaste.