Pasta is originally considered an Italian cuisine, but has gained popularity across the globe in the recent past. Pasta is usually made from dough of durum wheat flour mixed with eggs, and water. Pasta market is expected to gain traction, owing to the use of healthy raw material substitutes for pasta production such as chickpea flour, among others in place of the traditional durum wheat flour. The healthier raw material substitute for pasta production is expected to attract health conscious customers.
- The consumption of pasta is expected to boost during the forecast period, owing to increasing work population, which is expected to increase demand for processed food. For instance, according to the World Bank data, in 2015, the global female labor force accounted for 38.96% of the total labor force and reached 39.07% in 2017. Moreover, the global labor force was 3.35 billion in 2015 and reached 3.43 billion in 2017. This trend is expected to drive growth of the global pasta market over the forecast period.
- However, pasta being a rich source of carbohydrates, excessive intake of pasta can lead to side effects such as increased blood sugar levels, and high risk for obesity, diabetes, and metabolic syndrome, which is expected to hamper growth of the global pasta market over the forecast period.
- Among distribution channel, online stores segment accounted for a significant market share during the forecast period, owing to the busy lifestyle of people and growing internet penetration. For instance, according to the Worldwide Market Report’s analysis, the global e-commerce packaging market was valued at US$ 21.43 billion in 2016. Moreover, increasing online grocery applications (apps) such as Target, Grocery iQ, Favado, Amazon Fresh, Natures Basket Limited, Big Basket, and others are expected to boost the online store segment growth over the forecast period.
- Major pasta manufacturers are focusing on strategies such as product launches, among others to expanding their product portfolio and consumer base. For instance, in November 2013, Ebro Foods, S.A., acquired fresh pasta and sauce business from Olivieri Foods, a manufacturer of pastas, and sauces. This acquisition led to expansion of the Ebro Foods S.A. product portfolio and customer base.
- Furthermore, in August 2019, General Mills Inc. launched their new line of Annie’s One Pot Pasta, an organic pasta with hidden veggies and no artificial flavors. This launch is expected to gain large customer base.
- Key players operating in the global pasta market include Nestlé SA, TreeHouse Foods, Inc., Barilla, Ebro Foods, S.A., F.lli De Cecco di Filippo S.p.A, General Mills Inc., BRF S.A., Pastas Gallo, Delverde Industrie Alimentari S.P.A., and Fioribruna among others.
On the basis of product type, the global pasta market is segmented into:
- Dried Pasta
- Chilled/Fresh Pasta
- Canned/Preserved Pasta
On the basis of distribution channel, the global pasta market is segmented into:
- B2B (Business to Business)
- B2C (Business to Consumer)
- Hypermarket & Supermarkets
- Departmental Stores & Convenience Stores
- Online Stores
On the basis of region, the global pasta market is segmented into:
- North America
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa