Sodium Hexametaphosphate (SHMP) is a solid, translucent material. This glossy phosphate is widely used as an input in the manufacturing of many industrial and consumer products. Sodium hexametaphosphate is manufactured and marketed in technical and food grade. Sodium hexametaphosphate acts as excellent emulsifier, curing agent, firming agent, flavor enhancer, stabilizer, and thickener.
- The growth of sodium hexametaphosphate (SHMP) market is mainly attributed to its multiple applications in various end-use industries such as food, beverages, paper, detergents, water treatment, animal feed, and various others. Favorable growth of these end-use industries globally is projected to fuel demand for sodium hexametaphosphate (SHMP) throughout the forecast period (2018-2025).
- However, stringent trade regulations such as execution of antidumping duties on import of sodium hexametaphosphate is a key challenge for manufacturers and traders. Moreover, food grade SHMP must meet the requirements of the Food Chemicals Codex (FCC), which states the amount of possible toxic contaminants, pH range, and good manufacturing practices for sodium hexametaphosphate.
- Among grade, food grade segment is projected to be the fastest growing segment in the global sodium hexametaphosphate (SHMP) market over the forecast period. Food grade sodium hexametaphosphate is preferred as a texturizer & buffering agent in the manufacturing of cheese, processed meat, milk-based beverages, and many other food & beverages products.
- Among application, water treatment segment was the dominant segment in the market in 2017. Sodium hexametaphosphate is extensively used to trap Calcium and Magnesium in hard water. Hard water causes lime scale deposition in pipes, which leads to lower flow rates of water and higher cost of pumping and cleaning. Therefore, sodium hexametaphosphate is continuously used in recycled water as a softening agent and to avoid formation of scale in industrial operating units such as condenser, heat exchangers, pipelines or boilers.
- According to Coherent Market Insights’ analysis, Asia Pacific held highest market share in the global market in 2017. The region is projected to maintain its dominance over the forecast period, owing to high presence of manufacturers of SHMP in the region. In Asia Pacific, China is the largest producer of sodium hexametaphosphate (SHMP). According to the U.S. International Trade Administration Report, in 2013, China accounted for over two-third of global production capacity of SHMP and the aggregated production capacity of China was over 4, 76,000 Metric Tons.
- Favorable growth of food & beverages industries across emerging economies of Asia Pacific is projected to create conducive environment for growth of the market in the region. According to the United States Department of Agriculture Report on India Food Processing Sector 2018, India has a potential to attract investment of US$ 33 billion by end of 2024.
Key players in Global Sodium Hexametaphosphate (SHMP) Market
- Key players operating in the global sodium hexametaphosphate (SHMP) market include Innophos Holdings, Inc., Prayon, Israel Chemicals Limited (ICL), Hubei Xingfa Chemical Group, Aditya Birla Chemicals, Mexichem, TKI Hrastnik d.d., Chengxing Group, and Chuandong Chemical, among others.
- Leading manufacturers are investing to increase production of sodium hexametaphosphate (SHMP), in order to meet rising demand from consumers. For instance, in February 2015, Prayon announced to build a food grade sodium hexametaphosphate (SHMP) production plant in Augusta, Georgia, supplementing the current SHMP production unit in Roches de Condrieu, France. The capacity of the plant is 10,000 tons per year. The plant is strategically installed to meet growing demand for processed food applications in emerging markets of Asia Pacific and South America. Such activities are projected to have positive impact on growth of the market over the forecast period.
On the basis of grade, the global sodium hexametaphosphate (SHMP) market is segmented into:
- Food Grade
- Technical Grade
On the basis of application, the global sodium hexametaphosphate (SHMP) market is segmented into:
- Water Treatment
- Food & Beverages
- Industrial & Institutional Cleaners
- Industrial Applications (Clay Processing, Mining, Drilling Muds, Paper etc.)
- Others (Bath Salts, Toothpaste etc.)
On the basis of region, the global sodium hexametaphosphate (SHMP) market is segmented into:
- North America
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa