Starter feed is manufactured by mixing two or more nutritional ingredients such as oats, wheat, corn, soy, and others. The feed, which is enriched with essential proteins, amino acids, vitamins, and minerals is used to enhance immunity systems and digestion in livestock animals such as chickens, ruminants, pigs, and aquatic animals. Starter feed is manufactured and marketed in the form of mash, pellets, crumbles and various others. Extensive research and development have highlighted the benefits of starter feed over conventional feed in the overall growth of animals. Therefore, animal breeders are rapidly adopting starter feed products in order to increase production of livestock.
- Key factors such as increasing awareness about health of livestock, increasing demand for organic and healthier feed products, and rapid acceptance of starter feed, as an effective alternative to conventional feed across the globe are projected to fuel growth of global starter feed market over the forecast period. Furthermore, increasing demand for livestock globally is boosting demand for variety of starter feed products. According to the United States Department of Agriculture, global export of beef, broiler meat, and pork is projected to increase by 5%, 2%, and 1% respectively in 2018. The global production of beef, veal, pork, and broiler meat is projected to reach 63 million tons, 113.5 million tons, and 92.5 million tons respectively in 2018.
- The availability of alternatives such as conventional feed and high manufacturing costs are factors that restrain growth of the global starter feed market. Moreover, strict government regulations imposed on use of feed ingredients in the manufacturing of starter feed is a key challenge for manufacturers. For instance, regulation (EC) No 1829/2003 of the European Parliament on genetically modified feed provides an authorization procedure for placing genetically modified feed into market, which also includes feed additives produced from genetically modified organisms. Such regulations forces manufacturers to maintain their product quality.
- On the basis of form, pellets segment accounted for major market share in global starter feed market in 2016. Multiple advantages of pellets over other product forms such as ease of handling and storage, and long lasting shelf life are major factors that drive growth of this segment.
- On the basis of livestock, poultry segment dominated the market in 2016. Favorable growth of poultry industry along with increasing demand for eggs across the world is expected to create potential opportunity for growth of this segment over the forecast period. According to the United States Department of Agriculture Report, the total eggs production in the U.S. was valued at 97 billion eggs in 2015 and rose to 102 billion eggs in 2016.
- Medicated starter feed is expected to gain major traction in the market over the forecast period. Building a strong immunity through medicated starter feed is an effective alternative to vaccination, which will prevent potential diseases in the early period of growth. For instance, medicated starter feed is given to pigs to lower the incidence of cervical lymphadenitis, which is caused by Streptococci of Group E. Coccidiosis is a common intestinal disease found in chickens and it can be prevented by feeding medicated starter feed to the chickens, which are not vaccinated for coccidiosis.
- Asia Pacific is projected to be the fastest growing region in the market over the forecast period. Key players operating in the starter feed market are investing in Asia Pacific to tap potential market in China, India, Australia, and various other economies. For instance, in January 2018, Cargill Incorporated invested US$ 10 million to open a fish feed plant in Andhra Pradesh, India. The plant possesses capacity of 90,000 tons per year. Owing to such high capacity, Cargill Incorporated will be able to increase its fish feed capacity in India to serve customers in the region. Such factors are projected to have a positive impact on growth of starter feed market in Asia Pacific.
Key players in Global Starter Feed Market
- Key players operating in the market include Archer Daniels Midland Company, Cargill Incorporated, Evonik Industries AG, Associated British Foods Plc., Roquette Freres S.A., Nutreco N.V., Koninklijke DSM NV, BASF SE, and Alltech Inc. among others
- Key players are strategically investing into the market in order to enhance their product portfolio. For instance, in February 2018, ADM Animal Nutrition, a part of Archer Daniels Midland Company launched a new quality protein source PROPLEX T for aquaculture and piglets. PROPLEX T is composed of dried fermentation biomass and offers essential digestible proteins and higher level of amino acids for aquaculture and piglets diet.
On the basis of product type, global starter feed market is segmented into:
On the basis of form, global starter feed market is segmented into:
On the basis of livestock, global starter feed market is segmented into: