Vacuum packaging is a technology in which air is removed in order to block the growth of oxygen-breathing microbes, which spoil the product. The purpose of vacuum packaging is to eliminate oxygen from the package. Removal of inner oxygen results in a longer shelf life. It is essential that the accurate incorporation of the product, process, package, and distribution exists in the supply chain to avoid recontamination. The global vacuum packaging market is gaining momentum primarily due to the increasing demand for sanitary packaging in various sectors. A prominent disadvantage of vacuum packaging includes the loss of preservation once the package is opened.
Major drivers for the vacuum packaging market include the demand for hygienic packaging, manufacturers’ demand of longer shelf-life, a shift toward easy-to-handle & convenient packaging, and growth of end-use industries. Food packaging market plays a critical role in driving the growth of vacuum packaging market. Ease of handling, portability, and flexibility have increased the popularity of packaged food. This technique ensures shelf life extension with high sterile environment, which prohibits food spoilage.
Vacuum Packaging Market Taxonomy
On the basis of Packaging Material, the market is segmented into:
- Ethylene Vinyl Alcohol
On the basis of Machinery used, the market is segmented into:
- External Vacuum Sealers
- Tray Sealing Machines
On the basis of packaging type, the market is segmented into:
- Flexible Packaging
- Semi-rigid Packaging
- Rigid Packaging
On the basis of end use, the market is segmented into:
- Industrial Goods
Polyethylene is the most used material for vacuum packaging due to its low production & processing cost that has encouraged producers to prefer polyethylene over other packaging materials. Polyamide is another highly demanded packaging material due to its properties such as transparency, elasticity, and high thermoforming & high shrinkage characteristics. Increasing requirement for transparent food covering, due to its assurance on food quality by visual inspection, is expected to drive the polyamide demand over the forecast period. Thermoforming machines can be used for vacuum packaging in large production facilities. It is possible to customize thermoform plastics on the basis of size, color, clarity, and shape. This enables products to fit perfectly in order to create a consistent appearance according to the requirement.
- Asia Pacific is a major player in the global vacuum packaging market. The market growth is driven by factors such as high demand for packaged food, elevated healthcare expenditure, and rapid urbanization & industrialization in China and India. The augmented use of vacuum packaging in various end-use industries such as pharmaceuticals is projected to propel the growth of the vacuum packaging market
- Europe accounts for a large market share due to the presence of major packaged food and pharmaceutical manufacturers in this region on account of large packaged and processed food demand. Growing healthcare sector is also expected to propel the pharmaceutical packaging demand in the region. According to the Population Reference Bureau, Statistics Canada and EU, the geriatric population stood at 51 million in North America and 94 million in Europe as of 2016, which has boosted the pharmaceutical industry
- Emerging customer base in the Middle East and Africa region provides the vacuum packaging market with high growth opportunities. Increasing need for hygienic and safe products drives the vacuum packaging market in this region. Increasing use of pharmaceuticals due to epidemics such as Ebola in Africa is likely to drive the demand for vacuum packaging in African countries
- In Latin America, increasing awareness among consumers regarding food preservation and high disposable incomes coupled with growing reliance on packaged and easily available foods augment the growth of the vacuum packaging market. Presence of major processed food manufacturers such as Nestle and Heinz boosts the potential of vacuum packaging market in this region
- In 2017, Sealed Air Corporation launched its new vacuum packaging technology Cryovac OptiDure for fresh red meat and smoked & processed meat segments. The new packaging provides high abuse resistance and abrasion protection. The new packaging will also help in reducing incidences of food waste by ensuring fewer products are punctured during the supply chain.
- In December 2018, Ulma Packaging completed installation of its Flow-vac system, a vacuum packaging system developed by company, at cold storage facilities of La Anónima ( chain of supermarkets based in Argentina) for meat packaging.
- In October 2019, MULTIVAC UK launched new B 625 chamber belt machine in the UK market. The new machine offers manufacturers a high performance, cost effective and user friendly model for automated vacuum packaging of food products in film pouches.
- In 2016, Atlas Copco acquired Oerlikon Leybold Vacuum (subsidiary of Oerlikon Corporation). Oerlikon Leybold Vacuum provides pumps and components for food packaging, vacuum baking, and freeze drying. The acquisition helped Atlas Copco to strengthen its vacuum technology business.
Some of the key players in the vacuum packaging market include Amcor Limited, Bemis Company, Inc., Berry Plastics Corporation, Sealed Air Corporation, Linpac Packaging Limited, Multisorb Technologies, Inc., Coveris Holding SA, CVP Systems Inc., Ulma Packaging, SCOOP, and Orics Industries, Inc.