Impact Analysis of Covid-19
The complete version of the Report will include the impact of the COVID-19, and anticipated change on the future outlook of the industry, by taking into the account the political, economic, social, and technological parameters.
Europe Advanced Biodiesel Market 2017-2027
Definition of Market/Industry:
Biofuels are the fuels produced from bio based feedstock such as agricultural residues, forest residues or municipal solid wastes. Biofuels are classified into first generation biofuels and second generation biofuels depending on feedstock and method of production. First generation biofuels are produced from raw materials such as sugar and vegetable oils. On the other hand, second generation biofuels are called as advanced biofuels and these advanced biofuels are derived from non-food biomass.
The Europe advanced biodiesel market was valued at US$ 6,801.8 Mn in 2018, and is expected to reach US$ 20,288.8 Mn by the end of 2027, exhibiting a CAGR of 13.8 % during the forecast period (2019-2027).
Rising awareness about depletion of fossil fuels and sustainable use of energy resources coupled with increasing governmental initiatives in Europe towards increasing use of renewable energy resources are expected to boost demand of advanced biodiesel in Europe. For instance, the European Renewable Energy Directive 2009/28/EC established a framework for promotion of renewable energy sources, setting mandatory targets for achieving 20% of renewable energy in the gross final energy consumption by 2020.
Among end-use industry, transportation segment held a dominant position in the Europe advanced biodiesel market in 2018, accounting for 71% share in terms of value.
Figure 1. Europe Advanced Biodiesel Market Share (%), By End-use Industry, 2018
Rising demand for advanced biodiesel from marine and aviation industry are expected to offer growth opportunities to market players operating in Europe advanced biodiesel market over the forecast period. For instance, according to report, ‘Biofuels for Aviation Technology Brief’ published on January 2017, by International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA), 2014, global consumption of jet fuel was 5.4 million barrels/day (314 billion liters/year) in 2014, and demand for jet-fuel is expected to increase to 9 million barrels/day (522 billion liters/year) by 2040.
Market Trends/Key Takeaways
Key players operating in Europe advanced biodiesel market are focused on developing innovative technologies for production of high quality advanced biodiesel using various raw materials. For instance, in November 2017, Austria-based biodiesel company ‘BDI- Bioenergy International GmbH’ launched new Styrian technology in the European biodiesel market. This new technology converts wood waste and straw into high quality biodiesel.
Figure 2. Europe advanced biodiesel market Share (%), By Raw Material, 2018
Based on raw materials, Yellow Grease segment accounted for the largest revenue share of ~74% in terms of value in 2018.
- Argent Energy (UK) Limited
- BDI-BioEnergy International GmbH
- Biocom Energia, S.L.
- Renewable Energy Group, Inc.
- Abengoa S.A.
- Royal Dutch Shell plc
- Archer Daniels Midland Company
- Bio-Oils Energy S.A
- Münzer Bioindustrie GmbH
Few Recent Developments
- Archer Daniels Midland Company (ADM)
- ADM initially held 19.0% share of Wilmar International Ltd. in 2015. Furthermore, ADM acquired additional shares of Willmar International Ltd. in 2016 and 2017, which in turn increased ADM’s ownership interest to 20.0% in March 2016, 22.0% in June 2016, 23.2% in September 2016, and 23.9% in January 2017.
- Wilmar is one of the leading companies in Asia engaged in the businesses of oil palm cultivation, oilseeds crushing, edible oil’s refining, biodiesel manufacturing, sugar milling and refining, specialty fats, oleo chemicals, fertilizer manufacturing, and grains processing. Therefore acquiring additional shares of Wimar is expected to strengthen ADM’s market position in the advanced biodiesel industry.
- In September 2016, the wholly-owned subsidiary of Münzer Bioindustrie GmbH, named Münzer Bharat Private Limited, was established in Navi Mumbai, India. The subsidiary is expected to build a collection system and treatment facility for used cooking oil for production of biodiesel. This is expected to strengthen company’s presence in India.
- Furthermore, in 2019, the company commissioned and inaugurated its 100% waste-derived biodiesel facility in Navi Mumbai, India. This facility is expected to possess a production capacity of 3,000 tons per year.