Insomnia is a common sleep disorder that can make it hard to fall asleep, hard to stay asleep, or cause people to wake up too early and not be able to get back to sleep. Common causes of insomnia include irregular sleep schedule, stress, poor sleeping habits, physical illnesses and pain, neurological problems, medications, mental health disorders like anxiety and depression, and specific sleep disorders. Treating (and reversing) insomnia is possible, but it will take some time and effort. Insomnia treatment consists of improving sleep habits, behaviour therapy, and identifying and treating underlying causes. Cognitive behavioural therapy, sometimes called CBT-I, is an effective treatment for chronic sleep problems and is usually recommended as the first line of insomnia treatment.
The global insomnia treatment market was valued at US$ 3,048.04 Mn in 2021 and is forecast to reach a value of US$ 4,752.2 Mn by 2028 at a CAGR of 6.6%between 2022 and 2028.
North America held dominant position in the global insomnia treatment market in 2020, accounting for 42.6% share in terms of volume, followed by Europe and Asia Pacific, respectively.
Figure 1. Global Insomnia Treatment Market Share (%), by Region, 2021
In January 2022, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved daridorexant (Quviviq, Idorsia Pharmaceuticals) for the treatment of insomnia, characterized by difficulties with sleep onset and/or sleep maintenance. The FDA approval is based on an extensive clinical program that included 1854 people with insomnia at more than 160 clinical trial sites across 18 countries.
In February 2020, Merck received the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for its Belsomra drug to treat insomnia in patients with mild-to-moderate Alzheimer’s disease.
In July 2019, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved fexinidazole as the first all-oral treatment of the Trypanosoma brucei gambiense (Human African trypanosomiasis, sleeping sickness) in patients 6 years of age and older and weighing at least 20 kg.
Insomnia Treatment Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2021:
||US$ 3,048.04 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2017 to 2020
||2022 to 2028
|Forecast Period 2021 to 2028 CAGR:
||2028 Value Projection:
||US$ 4,752.2 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC Countries, Israel, and Rest of Middle East
- Africa: South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa
- By Treatment Type: Drug and Device
- By Distribution Channel: Hospital Pharmacies, Retail Pharmacies, and Other Distribution Channels
Innovative Neurological Devices, Cerêve Inc., Sanofi, Pfizer Inc., Paratek Pharmaceuticals Inc., Merck & Co., Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Ltd., Ebb Therapeutics, and Electromedical Products International Inc., among others
- Increasing prevalence of insomnia worldwide
- Increasing demand for safe and effective treatment
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Misconceptions about the seriousness of insomnia
- Characteristic side effects of insomnia drugs
- Increasing prevalence of insomnia across the world is expected to drive growth of the global insomnia treatment market during the forecast period. For instance, according to the American Academy of Sleep Medicine 2020, stress can cause adjustment insomnia, which affects around 20% of people in the United States each year. Moreover, children with poor sleeping habits are more likely to develop behavioural insomnia, which affects up to 30% of children.
- Increasing demand for safe & effective treatment due to increasing awareness among people is expected to boost growth of the global insomnia treatment market over the forecast period. For instance, in June 2020, Eisai Co., Ltd. announced the launch of its in-house discovered orexin receptor antagonist DAYVIGO (lemborexant) CIV as a treatment option for adults with insomnia, characterized by difficulties with sleep onset and/or sleep maintenance in the U.S.
Figure 2. Global Insomnia Treatment Market Share (%), by Treatment Type, 2021
- Misconceptions about the seriousness of insomnia is expected to hinder growth of the global insomnia treatment market. For instance, Insomnia is one of the most commonly reported sleep problem. It is a highly prevalent disorder that often goes unrecognized and untreated despite its adverse impact on health and quality of life. Insomnia can also be a risk factor for depression and a symptom of a number of medical, psychiatric, and sleep disorders. Thus, it is important to consult physician/doctor as early as possible.
- Characteristic side effects of insomnia drugs is expected to hamper the growth of the global insomnia treatment market. For instance, Insomnia drugs have well-recognized, characteristic side effects, which include hallucinations and nightmares, poor concentration, worsening sleep apnea, memory loss, light-headedness, drowsiness, drug dependence, drug addiction, and drug interactions. Daytime drowsiness is the most faced side effect of insomnia drugs.
- The outbreak of COVID-19 (pandemic) is expected to offer lucrative growth opportunities for player in the global insomnia treatment market. For instance, the ongoing global pandemic has brought unprecedented changes in people's lives. For many, it has caused significant stress, anxiety, and concerns over health, employment, social isolation, finances, and the challenge of balancing work and family obligations. This in turn is expected to aid in the market growth.
- Increasing awareness about various treatment options is expected to offer significant growth opportunities for player in the global insomnia treatment market. For instance, the American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) and the Society of Behavioral Sleep Medicine (SBSM) are working to raise awareness of one of the most common sleep problems, named Insomnia, with Insomnia Awareness Night on June 22, 2022.
Market Trends/Key Takeaways:
- Frequent approvals and launches of novel therapeutics is expected to augment growth of the global insomnia treatment market. For instance, in January 2022, Idorsia (IDIA.S) received the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's (FDA’s) approval for its treatment for insomnia in adult patients. The drug was approved in doses of 25 mg and 50 mg based on data from two late-stage trials that showed statistically significant and clinically meaningful improvements in the sleep during the night and daytime functioning over a sustained period.
- Rise in development of new technologies and introduction of novel therapeutics is expected to propel the growth of the global insomnia treatment market. For instance, in December 2021, HoneyNaps announced that the company is planning to start a digital therapeutic business for the treatment of insomnia in addition to monitoring, analysing, and diagnosing inter-sleep bio-signals. The platform consists of SOMNUM, an artificial intelligence (AI) based software for diagnosing sleep diseases, My SOMNUM, non-contact sleep analysis and coaching solution, and SOMNUM Medella, a digital treatment for insomnia.
- Merck & Co. Inc.
- Ebb Therapeutics
- Paratek Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Pfizer Inc.
- Sanofi SA
- Electromedical Products International Inc.
- Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Ltd
- Cerêve Inc.
- Innovative Neurological Devices
Insomnia, or sleeplessness, is a sleep disorder in which people have trouble sleeping. Signs and symptoms may include difficulty falling or staying asleep and not feeling well-rested. Sleeping pills may also be used, but should be monitored for side effects. Sometimes prescription drugs used to treat depression may ease insomnia when taken in lower doses. Cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia, CBT-I, is usually recommended as the first line of treatment. CBT-I is a structured program that helps people identify and replace thoughts and behaviors that cause or worsen sleep problems with habits that promote sound sleep.
High prevalence of sleep disorders, growing demand for safe and effective treatment, increase in awareness among people, and rapidly growing geriatric population worldwide is expected to augment the growth of the global insomnia treatment market during the forecast period. The prevalence of insomnia is higher in elderly than in the younger population. Physiologic changes of aging, chronic medical illnesses, and environmental conditions contribute to insomnia in the elderly. Thus, with the growing geriatric population, the demand for safe & effective insomnia treatment worldwide. For instance, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), one in six people in the world will be aged 60 years or over by 2030, and the world’s population of people aged 60 years and older will double (2.1 billion) by 2050.
Key features of the study:
- This report provides in-depth analysis of the global insomnia treatment market, and provides market size (US$ Million) and compound annual growth rate (CAGR %) for the forecast period (2022–2028), considering 2021 as the base year.
- It elucidates potential revenue opportunities across different segments and explains attractive investment proposition matrices for this market.
- This study also provides key insights about market drivers, restraints, opportunities, new product launches or approval, market trends, regional outlook, and competitive strategies adopted by key players.
- It profiles key players in the global insomnia treatment market based on the following parameters such as company highlights, products portfolio, key highlights, financial performance, and strategies.
- Key companies covered as a part of this study include Innovative Neurological Devices, Cerêve Inc., Sanofi SA, Pfizer Inc., Paratek Pharmaceuticals Inc., Merck & Co. Inc., Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Ltd., Ebb Therapeutics, and Electromedical Products International Inc., among others.
- Insights from this report would allow marketers and the management authorities of the companies to make informed decisions regarding their future product launches, type up-gradation, market expansion, and marketing tactics.
- The global insomnia treatment market report caters to various stakeholders in this industry including investors, suppliers, product manufacturers, distributors, new entrants, and financial analysts.
- Stakeholders would have ease in decision-making through various strategy matrices used in analyzing the global insomnia treatment market.
- Global Insomnia therapeutics Market, By Treatment Type:
- Global Insomnia therapeutics Market, By Distribution Channel:
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Other Distribution Channels
- Global Insomnia therapeutics Market, By Geography:
- North America
- Middle East & Africa
- South America