Bacillus Subtilis is a bacterium known for enzyme production capabilities. It supports production of proteases and amylase enzyme. Hence, it finds application in paper, textile, leather, food processing, and pesticide industries. The bacterium is also a common constituent of probiotic drinks. It enhances digestion, increases enzyme production, and improves immunity. Probiotic drink formulations containing bacillus subtilis are popular in South Korea and Japan.
Key factors driving the growth of the market include an increasing demand for probiotics due to the associated health benefits with its consumption such as increased immunity, gut health, and reduced risk of cancer. Also, increasing demand for enzymes in leather, starch, paper and textile applications has bolstered market growth of bacillus subtilis.
Global Bacillus Subtilis Market Taxonomy:
By Product Type:
- < 100 Billion CFU/g
- 100-300 Billion CFU/g
- >300 Billion CFU/g
- Cleaning Agent
- Starch Processing
- Waste Water Treatment
- Pollution Treatment
- Feed Additive
- Probiotic Drink
Bacillus subtilis is utilized for foliar application using conventional spray equipment. It is compatible with most of the commonly applied fertilizers and pesticides. In pharmaceuticals, bacillus subtilis strains are utilized in the bacterial vaccines as antigen bearers and antigen cellular manufactories. These drinks are particularly popular in South Korea and Japan due to traditional predilection towards consumption of therapeutic foods and beverages. Furthermore, the bacterium is also used as a feed additive to poultry and livestock feed. The consumption of bacillus subtilis by poultry has been observed to lead to improved gut health and resistance to diseases.
Global Bacillus Subtilis Market Outlook:
- Western European economies of Germany, U.K., and France are the major contributors to the growth of the bacillus subtilis market for waste water treatment. According to World Health Organization (WHO), in 2015, out of 912 million people living in the WHO European region, more than 60 million people were devoid of proper water sanitation facilities and an additional 14 million people did not have access to safe drinking water. Increasing awareness about waterborne diseases is expected to propel the growth of bacillus subtilis market in near future.
- Bacillus subtilis is utilized in applications such as feed additives, pesticides, and starch processing which directly cater to the food industry. Increasing demand for food & beverages in Asia Pacific economies such as China and India has in turn boosted Bacillus subtilis market growth. With a population of 1.3 billion, China has surpassed the U.S. as the world’s largest consumer of food and beverages. According to the China Britain Trade Council, the food industry in China had overall turnover of US$ 514 Bn in 2014. According to the India Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF), the food processing industry in India was valued at US$ 258 Bn in 2015. These factors are expected to fuel the growth of the bacillus subtilis market
- The pharmaceutical industry in India and China is thriving due to a population boom in these countries. The economies together accounted for 36% of the world’s population in 2016. The low cost of labor and raw materials for pharmaceuticals has resulted in India becoming a hub for pharmaceutical manufacturing. According to the Indian Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF), India accounted for 20% of the world’s supply of generic drugs. Also, with government initiatives such as Pharma Vision 2020, the pharmaceutical industry is slated to grow in India. This is expected to result in increased pharmaceutical applications where the microbe is used as an antigen bearer and thrombolytic agent.
Major players in the bacillus subtilis market include Bayer AG, BASF SE, Jocanima Corporation, Tonglu Huifeng, Kernel Bio-tech, Wuhan Nature's Favour Bioengineering Co., Ltd., Real IPM, ECOT China, and Qunlin.
Bacillus Subtilis Market Key Developments:
- In January 2018, BASF SE launched a new product range, ‘Velondis’ biofungicide seed treatment formulation which received registrations from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in January 2018. A unique stain of Bacillus subtilis is been incorporated in Velondis formulation wherein this formulation is expected to protect seedlings as well as plants from soil-borne diseases.
- In May 2018, Deerland Enzymes, Inc. introduced new and more soluble form of a probiotic strain, Bacillus subtilis DE111. This form of the spore-producing probiotic is highly soluble in natural products and therefore can be used in hot beverages, functional drinks, and nutritional supplement gummies.
- Bayar AG is focused on developing bacterial fungicide, ‘Serenade’ for achieving better crop protection in agricultural. For instance, in October 2018, Bayer’s ‘Serenade ASO’, a biological fungicide/bactericide was approved for use in France for the first time. This fungicide contains Bacillus subtilis strain QST 713 as an active ingredient. This fungicide can be used for foliar as well as soil applications on a wide range of crops including oilseed rape / canola, sugar beets, grapes, potatoes, fruits and vegetables.