Internet security is a branch of computer security that is related to the protection of computer systems from numerous security threats such as viruses, malware, worms, Trojan horses, and others via Internet. Internet security also involves security of browsers and networks. Browser security is used to protect networked data and computer systems, whereas network security comprises policies and practices that are used to prevent and monitor unauthorized access, misuse or denial of a computer network.
Driving factors for growth of the Internet Security Market
Increasing usage of Internet globally is a major factor driving growth of the internet security market. This is due to rapid expansion in wireless communication technology across numerous verticals. For instance, according to report by Coherent Market Insights, the number of internet users across the world were around 3.38 billion and 3.25 billion in 2016 and 2015, respectively. Internet security solutions are widely used in industries such as BFSI (Banking, Financial Services and Insurance), telecommunication, and healthcare to protect large volume of data from increasing cyber-attacks, which fuels growth of the market of internet security. Growing cyber-attacks that causes damage to organization’s data and can result in loss of revenue is a primary driver boosting adoption of internet security solutions across aforementioned verticals. For instance, according to report by Academy and Industry Research Collaboration Center (AIRCC), in the U.S., the number of web attacks in 2015 increased by 36% with over 4,500 new attacks each day in comparison with the previous year. Moreover, increasing adoption of advanced technologies such as IoT (Internet of Things), cloud computing, and BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) has significantly impacted adoption of internet security in the recent past. Adoption of cloud computing has witnessed a significant increase, due to various features such as high scalability, operational efficiency, and cost effectiveness. For instance, according to report by USITC (United States International Trade Commission), in the U.S., around US$ 43.3 billion was invested in cloud computing services in 2015. However, growing cyber threats, especially on public cloud storages has urged users to opt for security measures, in order to protect their data available on the cloud.
Small and mid-size enterprises allocate low budgets for internet security solutions, and this in turn is expected to negatively affect growth of the market. Furthermore, lack of knowledge and awareness regarding internet security solutions in small & mid-size enterprises inhibits the adoption of internet security solution.
Global Internet Security Market Taxonomy
Internet security market is segmented on the basis of solutions, services, security type, deployment mode, organization size, application, and region
On the basis of solution, the global internet security market is classified into:
- Data Loss Prevention (DLP)
- Distributed Denial of Service Mitigation
- Intrusion Detection System/Intrusion Prevention System (Ids/Ips)
- Security and Vulnerability Management
- Anti-virus/Anti malware
- Identity and Access Management (IAM)
- Security Information and Event Management
- Disaster Recovery
- Unified Threat Management
- Risk and Compliance Management
On the basis of services, the global internet security market is classified into:
- Professional Services
- Design and Integration
- Risk and Threat Assessment
- Support and Maintenance
- Training and Education
- Managed Services
On the basis of security type, the global internet security market is classified into:
- Application Security
- Network Security
- Content Security
- Wireless Security
- Cloud Security
- Endpoint Security
On the basis of deployment mode, the global internet security market is classified into:
On the basis of organization size, the global internet security market is classified into:
- Large Enterprises
- Small and Medium-sized Enterprises
On the basis of application, the global internet security market is classified into:
- Energy and Utilities
- Aerospace and Defense
- Banking, Financial Services and Insurance (BFSI)
- IT and Telecom
- Public Utilities
On the basis of regions, the global internet security market is classified into:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East
Global Internet Security Market: Regional Insights
On the basis of geography, the global internet security market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East, and Africa. North America and Europe are dominant regions in the global internet security market in 2017. This is owing to high presence of leading manufacturers and solution providers of internet security systems in the regions of North America and Europe. For example, Symantec Corporation, Cyber Ark Software Ltd., and Sophos Ltd. are the major players in the market of internet security.
Asia Pacific has been witnessing considerable growth in the internet security market since the recent past, owing to increasing number of mobile phone internet users in countries such as India, China, and Indonesia. For instance, according to report by Internet Assigned Number Authority (IANA), in China, 97.1% of the mobile phone users accessed the internet from their mobile phone in 2017, which was 95% in 2016. Furthermore, high investment made by private industries in development of internet security, to prevent agile software and avoid further losses of companies is another factor expected to aid in growth of the market in the region.
Global Internet Security Market: Key Players
Key players operating in the global internet security market include IBM Corporation, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, McAfee LLC, Trend Micro, Inc., Symantec Corporation, Cisco Systems, Inc., Palo Alto Networks, Inc., Dell EMC, Fortinet, Inc., Sophos Ltd., Rapid7, Inc., CyberArk Software Ltd., Splunk, Inc., and Imperva, Inc.
Global Internet Security Market: Key Developments
- In October 2019, KnowBe4, the world’s one of the largest security awareness training and simulated phishing platform, has rolled out a new multi-factor authentication (MFA) tool aimed at advising security professionals when developing their strategy. The complementary tool, titled the Multi-Factor Authentication Security Assessment (MASA), is a survey-based tool that questions security professionals about how their MFA solution operates.
- In September 2019, ACT government and AustCyber, the Australian Cyber Security Growth Network, announced a launch of its “Canberra Cyber Security Innovation Node” to grow the local cybersecurity workforce and help industry commercialise cybersecurity technologies in Australia.
- In September 2019, BullGuard announced a launch of its range of 2020 security products which include a new Secure Browser and machine learning capabilities. The 2020 product suite also now enables direct integration with BullGuard VPN to ensure users' privacy when connecting to public Wi-Fi.