The Europe Bag in Box Packaging Market was valued at US$ 1,505 million in 2022, according to Europe Bag in Box Packaging Market Report, by Capacity (Less than 1 Liter, 1 to 5 Liters, 6 to 10 Liters, 11 to 15 Liters, and More than 15 Liters), by Material Type (Barrier and Corrugated Box), by Barrier (Aluminum, Metalized PET, Ethylene Vinyl Alcohol, Polyamide, and Others (PDVC, metalized PP)), and by End User (Food & Beverage, Industrial, and Household & Personal Care), published by Coherent Market Insights.
The Europe bag in box packaging market was valued at US$ 1,505 million in terms of revenue in 2022 and is estimated to exhibit a CAGR of 3.22% during the forecast period (2023 to 2030). A bag-in-box is a liquid storage and transportation container. It consists of a robust bladder (or plastic bag) placed inside a corrugated fiberboard box, usually constructed of many layers of metallized film or other plastics. Bag-in-box packaging is becoming increasingly popular for liquid product packaging. The cost-effectiveness, consumer convenience, and ease of transportation are just a few of the benefits that have fueled bag-in-box packaging market’s growth in the overall packaging market.
To know the latest trends and insights prevalent in this market, click the link below:
Browse 50 market data tables* and 45 figures* on “Bag in Box Packaging Market” – Europe Forecast to 2030.
Key Trends and Analysis of the Europe Bag in Box Packaging Market:
- One of the rising trends of Europe bag in box packaging market includes increasing usage of ecofriendly packaging. The necessity for environmentally safer and sustainable packaging is a primary reason that is expected to drive growth of the Europe bag in box packaging market during the forecast period. The product's only point of contact in bag-in-box packaging is with the thin, flexible bag. Standard plastic pouches are often multi-layered to enhance holding capacity, making them sturdier and requiring more plastic than bag-in-box packaging. Because these pouches are difficult to recycle due to their multi-layering, bag-in-boxes are frequently used to reduce environmental effect. Corrugated boxes, which preserve the contents of the bag-in-box, are composed of 100% recyclable corrugated paper board.
- Bag-in-box packaging has a great opportunity in e-commerce industry, because it is convenient to transport. Most internet purchases are packaged in a cardboard box to protect the contents from damage. This can be avoided because bag-in-box already includes a hard box that can safely store the product across great distances that products in the e-commerce industry commonly travels. According to the Pro Carton European Consumer Packaging Perceptions Study 2018, cardboard is the most environmentally friendly packaging, followed by glass packaging. According to the same study, 52% of European packaging consumers have shifted to cardboard packaging due to environmental concerns about the type of material used in product packaging.
- A major factor restraining the Europe's bag in box packaging market is the availability of less expensive alternatives such as stand-up pouches. Bag-in-box pouches consume twice as much material than stand-up pouches. By converting from a double packaging (carton with a bag inside) to a single pouch, the manufacturer reduces costs. Savings are made not just on a material basis, however, also during the manufacturing process, where costly materials are avoided and capital inputs are decreased.
- Increasing manufacturing cost of bag in box packaging is also expected to hinder the Europe bag in box packaging market growth. Costs are heavily influenced by raw materials and expensive manufacturing technology. Bag-in-boxes are made from a variety of raw materials including several types of polymers and corrugated paperboard. Separate process are used to create the three components of the packaging (bag, box, and fitting), which adds to the cost. The cost of constructing these packaging components is also factored into the total cost of the bag-in-box system. Fixed costs such as electricity and labor, among others, increases the total manufacturing cost.
- On the basis of capacity, 11 to 15 liters segment dominated the Europe bag in box packaging market in 2022 with around 24.68% of market share, in terms of revenue, followed by 6 to 10 Liters, and others. The growth is attributed to increasing demand for bag-in-box packaging solutions among beverage packaging manufacturers in countries such as Italy, France, and Spain.
- Key players operating in the Europe bag in box packaging market include Smurfit Kappa, Optopack Ltd., Amcor plc, Montibox, Aran Packaging, Liquibox, Peak Liquid Packaging, DS Smith, Graficas Digraf Sl, and Goglio SpA
- These players are constantly engaged in mergers and acquisitions, in order to gain competitive advantage over other players. For instance, in March 2019, Liquibox acquired the plastic business of DS Smith. DS Smith is a major corrugated packaging company. This acquisition would provide the company a worldwide presence, design capabilities, and service platform, allowing it to supply customers with the most engaging packaging solutions, while also driving technological and sustainability advances.
Europe Bag in Box Packaging Market - Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic
On the Europe Bag in Box Packaging Market, the COVID-19 had minimal negative effects. COVID-19 has significantly raised hygiene and cleanliness awareness, which is projected to fuel demand for bag in box packaging in Europe in the pharmaceutical industry. Pharmaceutical industry distributes medicines and products, which require special packaging and this can be fulfilled by bag in box packaging. Moreover, food and beverage companies are looking to operate through e-commerce businesses, as a result of the government's tough restrictions and regulations aimed at preventing the spread of the infection. To protect the contents from damage, most online purchases are wrapped in a cardboard box. This can be avoided because bag-in-box products already come with a durable box that can safely store the product across the long distances that e-commerce products frequently traverse.
- Europe Bag in Box Packaging Market, By Capacity
- Less than 1 Liter
- 1 to 5 Liters
- 6 to 10 Liters
- 11 to 15 Liters
- More than 15 Liters
- Europe Bag in Box Packaging Market, By Material Type
- Corrugated Box
- Europe Bag in Box Packaging Market, By Barrier
- Metalized PET
- Ethylene Vinyl Alcohol
- Others (PDVC, metalized PP)
- Europe Bag in Box Packaging Market, By End User
- Food & Beverage
- Household & Personal Care