Distributed sensing is a novel technology that allows constant, real-time measurement of different physical parameters along the length of the optical fiber. Fiber optic sensors are used for monitoring critical infrastructure or facilities. This allows the maintenance workers to keep a constant profile of acoustics, temperature, or strain conditions along the length of the fiber. Moreover, it offers vital information regarding various applications and provides cost-efficient option for physical monitoring of various parameters, even in challenging working conditions. The optical fiber used in this is the sensing element without any additional transducer in the optical path. Its working is similar to radar where interrogator sends a series of pulses in the optical fiber and records the return of the naturally occurring distorted signal against the time. In this process, the distributed sensor computes at all points along the optical fiber. Moreover, the optical fiber is the sensor thus, it is cost-effective and can easily be deployed in some of the most challenging environments.
The global distributed fiber optic sensor market is estimated to account for US$ 1,610.7 Mn in terms of value by the end of 2019
Market Dynamics- Driver
- Growing adoption fiber optic sensors in oil and natural gas industry is expected to drive growth of the global distributed fiber optic sensors market during the forecast period
Oil and natural gas industry has started adopting fiber optic sensors for monitoring and sensing applications such as temperature sensing and acoustic sensing in the recent past. This, in turn, has improved the efficiency of oil and gas production and also transportation worldwide. This is expected to encourage the deployment of distributed fiber optic sensors in plants, thereby driving growth of the market in the near future.
- Proactive initiatives undertaken by government concerning adoption of fiber optic sensors is expected to propel the global distributed fiber optic sensors market over the forecast period.
Prior to advent of distributed fiber optic sensors, health of the structure used to be inspected from the outside. However, it was impossible to measure strain and stress within the structure. Fiber optic sensors have made measurement of these internal properties of structures. Furthermore, governments of various countries around the world are increasingly deploying fiber optic sensors in different construction projects. For instance, in May 2015, Adelos Inc. commenced deployment of fiber optic solutions for the U.S. Government including the Department of Energy and the U.S. Navy.
Asia Pacific region dominated the global distributed fiber optic sensor market in 2018, accounting for 27.2% share in terms of value, followed by North America and Europe, respectively
Source: Coherent Market Insights
Market Dynamics- Restraints
- Lack of awareness regarding fiber optic sensors and high cost are expected to restrain growth of the global distributed fiber optic sensors market over the forecast period
Lack of awareness related to advantages offered by fiber optic sensors in certain industries is expected to restrain the market growth in the near future. Moreover, deployment of fiber optic sensors is expensive and is not possible for small- and mid-sized companies, thus they are reluctant to adopt this technology. This, in turn, is expected to hamper the market growth over the forecast period.
- Constant fluctuation in oil & gas prices is expected hinder the global distributed fiber optic sensor market growth during the forecast period
Major end-use industry for distributed fiber optic sensors is the oil & gas industry. According to Coherent Market Insights’ analysis, oil & gas industry accounts for around 50% of market share in the global distributed fiber optic sensor market. However, fluctuating oil & gas prices are expected to hamper the market growth during the forecast period.
- Significant growth opportunities offered by mining industry
Fiber optic sensing is a novel technology that can offer a paradigm shift to how mines are being administered and controlled. Currently, the mining industry faces crucial challenges such as unpredictable accidents, inaccurate measurement system, lack of data concerning safety of mines and labors, and late diagnostics of hazards and faults. These challenges can be dealt with efficiently with fiber optic sensing technology as it offers safe, accurate, cost-effective, real-time, and reliable sensing and monitoring solutions. This, in turn, is expected to pose lucrative growth opportunities for market players in the near future.
- Growing demand for data-based analysis is expected to pose conducive growth opportunities for market players
Various industries around world are seeking data-based analysis for their business. It can assist companies to ascertain unnecessary expenditure and losses in the business. Fiber optic sensing technologies offer real-time measurement of numerous physical parameters that can help companies control those losses and gain a competitive edge in the respective industries. This, in turn, is expected to offer significant business opportunities for market players during the forecast period.
Source: Coherent Market Insights
Global distributed fiber optic sensor market was valued US$ 1,461.2 Mn in 2018 and is forecast to reach a value of US$ 3567.4 Mn by 2027. In global distributed fiber optic sensor market, by technology segment raman scattering based distributed sensor sub-segment dominated the global distributed fiber optic sensor market in 2018, accounting for 31.3% share in terms of value, followed by other sub-segments.
Source: Coherent Market Insights
- Regular product launches by market players are expected to be a major trend in the market
Over the last 60 years, fiber optic sensors have evolved, in terms of deployment and commercialization. However, market players are focusing on research and development activities, in order to launch novel products in the market that are more advanced, innovative, and unique. For instance, in November 2019, Optasense, a provider of fiber optic-based acoustic sensing, demonstrated the ability to detect pipeline leaks with the help of optic sensing in a unique testing environment.
- Growing application in aerospace and defense industry is another major trend in the market
Fiber optic sensors have witnessed significant demand from aerospace and defense sector. Fiber optics are resistant to high pressure, corrosion, chemical, reactions, atmospheric lightening, and electromagnetic radiation. Thus, it can be deployed for various defense and aerospace purposes such as controlling and monitoring.
Key companies involved in the global distributed fiber optics sensor market are Brugg Kabel AG, Omnisens S.A., AFL Global (Subsidiary of Fujikura), OSENSA Innovations Corp., SOLIFOS AG, Sensor Highway Ltd. (Acquired by Schlumberger), FISO Technologies Inc. (Acquired by Roctest), NEC Corporation, Verizon Wireless, Lockheed Martin Corporation, and QinetiQ Group plc.
- Key companies in the market are focused on mergers and acquisitions, in order to gain competitive edge in the market. For instance, in March 2018, SOLIFOS AG, a provider of fiber optic sensors, acquired Brugg Kabel AG’s fiber optic business unit.
- Key players in the market are focused on product launch, in order to enhance their product portfolio. For instance, in January 2016, OSENSA Innovations Corp. introduced FTX-301-PWR+temperature transmitter and related fiber optic sensing probes designated for medium voltage power equipment monitoring.